Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 18:36   #241
Resting in Peace

Re: Free grit for all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Doesn't take much for that to happen to a Tory.
Thats because were the only ones wi sense
Old 10-12-2010, 19:08   #242
God Member

I once bought a gritting device for use on the foothpaths and car parks at Melbourne House.
It was similar to a wheelbarrow - had a mechanical action which spun the grit out from the base as it moved. It was cheap and meant that the head cleaner could efficiently make the walkways safe.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 19:28   #243
God Member

PS as an afterthought to my last post - the manual roadsweeping chaps couldn't work whilst there was snow, so they could use them.(no heavier than the barrows they are used to)
http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/ne...r-own-gritters

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 19:45   #244
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Mine arrived.

To be honest, I've been really disappointed by a lot of comments on this thread.

Last year LCC got caught out with the snow and didn't provide enough grit in the bins. HBC were powerless because LCC manage all the gritting so this year tried to do something positive to help the residents.

Unfortunately they got caught out a bit by the early snowfall. I don't know about you, but I can't remember it snowing before Christmas for many, many years - who could have predicted that?

They did their best to get the word out through normal channels - i.e. website, papers, area management meetings etc - so if you didn't find out about it, it's because you actively avoid finding out. It's been a topic of discussion on here for about a month so there's no excuse for not knowing and then subsequently missing out. You can't blame the council for that - they did their best to let everyone know without incurring more costs.

As for the costs - the first post from Ken says that Cllr Ciaren Wells had calculated that it would cost £6.6m to do this. In reality it's been little over £16k. Heaven help us if someone with those maths skills ever gets in power.
Like you , Gayle , I've been disappointed by much on this thread .
It shows the shallowness and pettiness of politics in Hyndburn .

It carries over to this week's Accrington Observer .
Miles Parkinson submitted a motion to Tuesday's council meeting . The Labour group has accused the council of failing to deliver on its promises of free grit .

Peter Britcliffe rightly says that the unanticipated bad weather has slowed down deliveries . To me that is a valid response .

So Cllr Parkinson stop playing silly beggars .

In the same Observer a report shows that Peter Britcliffe is prattling on about Graham Jones' Parliamentary expenses . Graham Jones rightly points out the expense of living in London , and gives a valid justification for his expenses .

So Cllr Britcliffe stop playing silly beggars .

Once again , and I suppose it won't be the last time , we have examples of petty party politics .

A plague on both your houses , Tweedledum and Tweedledee .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 21:48   #245
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Miles Parkinson submitted a motion to Tuesday's council meeting . The Labour group has accused the council of failing to deliver on its promises of free grit .

Peter Britcliffe rightly says that the unanticipated bad weather has slowed down deliveries . To me that is a valid response.
Are you aware of the irony of that statement?

We couldn't deliver grit to de-ice the roads because the roads were icy?

A borough-wide scheme which involved no extra effort on the part of the voters would have been far better, as it stands we have thousands of residents who have missed out on this overly-complicated exercise because they didn't live in the right ward.

We're back in the realm of common sense here. If you truly want to help everybody then you help everybody, you don't simply look after your own. I can only assume that Rishton and the other 'lesser' wards aren't high on the Conservative agenda. I'm afraid that all this political pettiness that you are obsessed with stems from political bias from the controlling group in the first place.

I'm sure someone somewhere will bring up past mistakes in order to justify this new one. Over to you, Jaysay....

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 21:53   #246
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well to my small mind the best way would have been to work out from the depot in n increasing radius. making the way safer to get further?
Old 10-12-2010, 22:00   #247
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well to my small mind the best way would have been to work out from the depot in n increasing radius. making the way safer to get further?
13 years of Labour rule have made this impossible. Probably.

Old 10-12-2010, 22:08   #248
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
True but i only suggested it so Rishton would still be last.
Old 10-12-2010, 22:16   #249
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
True but i only suggested it so Rishton would still be last.
You monster!

Fortunately, I kept a few bags of fire ash for just such an occasion and it eats through ice for fun, even when cold. The residents on Bridge Street were grateful and made rather unflattering comments about the non-efforts of my Conservative counterpart who lives at the other end of the street.

Every now and then you do have to stick your head above the parapet and do what you said you would do if you got elected.

Old 10-12-2010, 22:52   #250
God Member

Quote:
A borough-wide scheme which involved no extra effort on the part of the voters would have been far better, as it stands we have thousands of residents who have missed out on this overly-complicated exercise because they didn't live in the right ward.
I thought it was a borough wide thing - who has missed out? Hasn't everyone had equal opportunity to get it? I don't understand.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 22:55   #251
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I thought it was a borough wide thing - who has missed out? Hasn't everyone had equal opportunity to get it? I don't understand.
a wild guess but most of hyndburn wi the exception of ossy has probably missed out, cos who else has got it?
Old 11-12-2010, 00:48   #252
Common Sense Member

Quote:
It was a borough-wide thing, but you're talking about trying to inform 80,000+ residents about a scheme with a window of two weeks.

Residents in Baxenden were informed by blanket election campaigning, Oswaldtwistle speaks for itself, but some wards are still waiting for their deliveries.

I'm not knocking extra grit, just the bad implementation of its delivery to where it's really needed.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:08   #253
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
.....Oswaldtwistle speaks for itself.....
Ken you are starting to sound like a stuck record and it is getting very boring now.

I ordered a bad of grit after you informed us about it on here after the Rishton meeting.

The next time I heard about grit was at the Ossy Area Council meeting. I did not have a personal invite to order any posted through my door, no secret Ossy only phone calls. We don't have a bat sign in the sky to inform us of these things.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:30   #254
God Member

my dads Mrs got hers yesterday....she lives at Stanhill
Old 11-12-2010, 08:42   #255
Resting in Peace

Quote:
At Last you've seen the light, sure as hel makes my job easier

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..