Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 19:04   #271
Resting in Peace

Re: Free grit for all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I agree, but they could do some. They obviously should prioritise areas more heavily used by the public and work from there.
That's Peel Street then ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-12-2010, 19:19   #272
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
That's Peel Street then ?
Well it is AND STILL REMAINS FOR A WHILE YET, the bus station, a central hub for people coming in and out of town
Old 11-12-2010, 19:35   #273
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well it is AND STILL REMAINS FOR A WHILE YET, the bus station, a central hub for people coming in and out of town
Hahaha ... 'YET'. Agree, the pavements around the centre should have been salted, plus Blackburn Road. Are there any grit bins in town ?

plus:

Union Road, Ossy.
Pickup Street/ Barnes Square, Clayton.
Towngate .. Great Harwood.
High Street, Rishton.
Henry Street, Church.

and the other wards where there is heavy public footfall.

You could argue around schools, doctor's surgeries, etc.
Old 11-12-2010, 19:37   #274
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Hahaha ... 'YET'. Agree, the pavements around the centre should have been salted, plus Blackburn Road. Are there any grit bins in town ?

plus:

Union Road, Ossy.
Pickup Street/ Barnes Square, Clayton.
Towngate .. Great Harwood.
High Street, Rishton.
Henry Street, Church.

and the other wards where there is heavy public footfall.

You could argue around schools, doctor's surgeries, etc.
Don't recall seeing any grit bins in town. I agree with the rest of your post.
Old 11-12-2010, 19:43   #275
Senior Member+

It would appear that they did some work on shifting the snow in Harwood, on the main shopping street's that is. I think that's a good thing. I would also agree with Dave there are some obvious areas such as the town centre in Accrington that should be cleared.

I think it was right for the Council to try do something about snow clearing, over and above what the County has responsibility for.But I just feel there may just be a more efficient way of going about it .
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 19:48   #276
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
It would appear that they did some work on shifting the snow in Harwood, on the main shopping street's that is. I think that's a good thing. I would also agree with Dave there are some obvious areas such as the town centre in Accrington that should be cleared.

I think it was right for the Council to try do something about snow clearing, over and above what the County has responsibility for.But I just feel there may just be a more efficient way of going about it .
I think somebody mentioned before that when it snows heavily the street cleaners become effectively redundant for the duration. Don't see a problem where they can't do their normal areas with a baroow full of grit instead of a wheely bin. Having said that on Peel St we have an exceptional street cleaner who would do the job well, but if it snows on the days he is off and we have to rely on the waste of a wage replacements he has we'd be snowed in for weeks
Old 11-12-2010, 21:41   #277
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I think roads should take priority over footpaths so people can get to work and school. Keeping schools open is not given enough priority in my opinion.
Old 11-12-2010, 21:41   #278
Resting in Peace

I 'think' there is still a bit of a legal quagmire with regard to gritting pavements ... like if people see the grit ... think it is safe and then slip they could sue, etc.
Old 11-12-2010, 21:50   #279
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think roads should take priority over footpaths so people can get to work and school. Keeping schools open is not given enough priority in my opinion.
Thats cos yer all tarts these days, schools never used to close wi a lot more snow n ice n ya get now. plus nobody had a car ya had to walk, shock horror.
Old 11-12-2010, 22:05   #280
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Well, as you know, Neil .. roads are LCC... they have not the resources to take on board the footpaths too so up to HBC to try and help.

As for keeping schools open !! Well, don't get me going on that one. Sure .. some schools in Scotland have been surrounded by snow and very rural, but schools in our area have not been too badly cut off. Don't really think it is the pavements surrounding schools .. just getting to it in the first place .. that's why the priority is the major roads. Unfortunately, lots of people can't get their car out of their road. Most pupils are within at least 3 miles of the school and is easily walkable for young people or they could have walked to the nearest bus stop. Suppose the problem is that more teachers live further away, but can surely manage with who turns up.

My daughter lives in West Yorkshire and had it far worse than we have ... she walked the 4 miles every day to her surgery in the worst times (impossible to get her car up the winding, icy hill she lives on) ...and she is only a little dot.
Old 11-12-2010, 22:15   #281
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well said kate, yer lass was brought up not to be a tart.
Old 11-12-2010, 22:26   #282
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Kate, people can't get their car off the drive because they have summer types on their cars. First time I have driven on winter types and I am amazed with the difference. My car on summer tyres struggled to move outside our house. Rhonda's car has 4 winter tyres on and it was superb on the ice and snow. I wish I had them on mine.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2010, 22:29   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats cos yer all tarts these days, schools never used to close wi a lot more snow n ice n ya get now. plus nobody had a car ya had to walk, shock horror.
Well said Cashy, the only time schools ever closed when i were young, was if the central heating broke down. Other than that no matter what the weather you went to school, and that meant walking all the way. No namby pamby whimps in those days.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 22:33   #284
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
Well said Cashy, the only time schools ever closed when i were young, was if the central heating broke down. Other than that no matter what the weather you went to school, and that meant walking all the way. No namby pamby whimps in those days.

The Romans have given us roads since those days, we expect them to be usable
Old 11-12-2010, 22:37   #285
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The Romans have given us roads since those days, we expect them to be usable
They didn't have lots of side streets though did they .. and not many people had chariots then ..

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..