Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 19:19   #151
Give, give, give member

Re: Going far too far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Yes, sarcasm doesn't come across very well in text form does it?

Unfortunately for Gary, he is supposedly viewed as the Oswaldtwsitle secret weapon this May.

What on earth is that supposed to mean?

I publicly stated before Graham Jones voted against an EU referendum, shortly after saying he had no problem with one, as it would settle the issue democratically, that I would not support any political party who didn't actively support a clear and fair referendum.

People might be living in cloud cuckoo land , if they think Labour's loss will result in a Tory gain.

Besides that, I'm just one gobby little person, on a local forum.

The only people I'm likely to sway are the people in neighbouring hammocks to mine.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2012, 19:27   #152
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Given some of the welcoming messages I've received today, I'd say you're a bit off the mark there.

Last night I saw my name on the net in some pretty interesting places but on glancing through this thread I'm afraid I couldn't let it ride. It's a storm in a teacup story and, as you have frequently pointed out, tomorrow's chip paper. Since I'm not up for election and few on this forum have the capacity of voting for me anyway what difference does it make to me personally whether I'm here or not?

It does however make me smile that you think any Labour member is being told to come on here and canvass...
On a personal level, I'm glad you're back too.

I always enjoy reading what you write, and write with some style, even if I don't always agree with what's being said.

Having met you, political differences aside, I considered you as a friend.

Well, until you defriended me on Facebook.

Something that Britcliffe, nor Jonsey did, despite my, at times, somewhat fierce criticism.

Just so it's clear.

I'm glad you're back...matey.

Old 02-02-2012, 19:43   #153
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Your opinion.

I certainly don't share it.

Be a different story, if those, when in opposition, hadn't used this forum to constantly attack those they see as their political enemies.

Not being a member of any political party, I pass judgement on what is/has happened. Actions, not words.

I'm not swayed by party loyalty.

If something is wrong I'll say so, regardless of who is responsible.

When I did exactly what I'm doing now, when the Tories were in control of the council, I had much giddy encouragement.

Encouragement from those who'd now like to play the victim card.

Tough.

What's good for the goose, is good for the parson's nose.

I would not expect you to share my opinion Gary. I know you are too much of your own man for that.

I also know that you are a champion of what you see is right.
I have no party loyalties either....but there are some people in politics(local) that I just cannot stomach........and you know who this is.

Politics and politicians use whatever means is at their elbow to advance their cause. You know that and I know that. We cannot blame a Zebra for having stripes. So of course they used this forum for their political arguments...they would have been daft not to. A ready audience without having to go knocking on doors.

It is just that this all seems so.........pointless.....and sad.

After all the biggest let down was GJ.....his total disregard for anything that his constituents thought, felt or said, was swept away for the miserable Kudos that might be gained within the Labour party.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 19:49   #154
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes, I remember posting that vividly. As I recall it was about paying for car parking in other towns in a sentence you chose to read in a different way.

Do the honours and remind us all?

Quote:
The benches will be going back at some point as I have said at least twice in this thread.

In the meantime, all the surrounding towns have benches and car parks where you have to pay instead of the free facilities in Accrington. Weigh up which is the bigger injustice.
Feeling forced to visit more welcoming towns, I did weigh up the injustice.

I arrived at the conclusion that it didn't solve any problem, and the majority were punished, because of the actions of the few.

Old 02-02-2012, 19:55   #155
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I would not expect you to share my opinion Gary. I know you are too much of your own man for that.

I also know that you are a champion of what you see is right.
I have no party loyalties either....but there are some people in politics(local) that I just cannot stomach........and you know who this is.

Politics and politicians use whatever means is at their elbow to advance their cause. You know that and I know that. We cannot blame a Zebra for having stripes. So of course they used this forum for their political arguments...they would have been daft not to. A ready audience without having to go knocking on doors.

It is just that this all seems so.........pointless.....and sad.

After all the biggest let down was GJ.....his total disregard for anything that his constituents thought, felt or said, was swept away for the miserable Kudos that might be gained within the Labour party.
Oh I agree.

I appreciate Ken coming on here, and at least attempting to explain himself. Though I don't expect it.

Primarily this forum is for people to publicly share their thoughts.

Not necessarily find answers.

He's not guilty of the same hypocritical treachery, that Graham Jones has exhibited on here.

Old 02-02-2012, 21:38   #156
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Nope, Rishton (and indeed Hyndburn) is stuck with me till 2014. You get four years once you're elected.
Ah i'm quite pleased about that, Cos have a couple of mates oer your way n there quite happy wi yer performance, And i will retract my spineless comment,now yer back,Twas only a "Hamstring" after all.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:40   #157
Common Sense Member

Quote:
What on earth is that supposed to mean?

.....Besides that, I'm just one gobby little person, on a local forum.

The only people I'm likely to sway are the people in neighbouring hammocks to mine.
You'd be surprised how you're viewed in certain little blue circles, mate.

I somehow can't imagine you accepting the offer to come inside those circles however.....

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:56   #158
Common Sense Member

Quote:
On a personal level, I'm glad you're back too.

I always enjoy reading what you write, and write with some style, even if I don't always agree with what's being said.

Having met you, political differences aside, I considered you as a friend.

Well, until you defriended me on Facebook.

Something that Britcliffe, nor Jonsey did, despite my, at times, somewhat fierce criticism.

Just so it's clear.

I'm glad you're back...matey.

So am I. I've always maintained that Accyweb is a great forum and the Bookworms thread has always been an interesting read to me so I've particularly missed that.

As regards the FB thing, it seems to have redefined what being friends with someone actually means and at the time I was fairly angry that the facts I was posting on Accyweb were being twisted to make it look as if I was hiding something. I can't speak for Peter but Graham is much more thick-skinned about that sort of thing.

I'm less tolerant of anyone who sticks the knife in and once stabbed there are few exceptions to that.

Apart from yourself.....if you'll have me?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:06   #159
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Well reading yer last post, its obvious yeh aint thick skinned enough Ken. N.L.T.B.G.Y.D.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:08   #160
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well reading yer last post, its obvious yeh aint thick skinned enough Ken. N.L.T.B.G.Y.D.
Still not got the hang of this smiley thing, have I?

Ah, there we go!

And I'm lovin' your acronym, think I might adopt that on a lot of internal memos from now on....

Old 03-02-2012, 08:11   #161
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Its what ive lived by fer oer 30 yrs, proved very effective.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:13   #162
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So am I. I've always maintained that Accyweb is a great forum and the Bookworms thread has always been an interesting read to me so I've particularly missed that.

As regards the FB thing, it seems to have redefined what being friends with someone actually means and at the time I was fairly angry that the facts I was posting on Accyweb were being twisted to make it look as if I was hiding something. I can't speak for Peter but Graham is much more thick-skinned about that sort of thing.

I'm less tolerant of anyone who sticks the knife in and once stabbed there are few exceptions to that.

Apart from yourself.....if you'll have me?

Oh, shut up.

As I said, having met you, and comfortable enough to talk about all-sorts, I did consider you as a friend.

As for politics, the only political party I've had any contact with, has been UKIP. Informing them of the groundswell of support for an EU referendum in this area, and that they should ensure there's a local candidate(s). Which they said they're planning to do.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:00   #163
Beacon of light

I have never been a fan of facebook.....and being a 'facebook friend'?
What, exactly, is that all about anyway?

If you have half a million facebook friends does that automatically make you a better person? does it make you someone that other look up to?

No, it is like collecting pebbles on a beach while you are on holiday....and interesting passtime, but you chuck them all away at the end of the holiday, as they are pretty useless. You can only use so many paperweights, doors stops, whatever.

I never joined facebook...and never will. I am a monkey not a sheep. I don't go with the herd. I like to be out in front.......that is where the view is best.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:20   #164
Resting in Peace

Quote:

If you have half a million facebook friends does that automatically make you a better person? does it make you someone that other look up to?

No, it is like collecting pebbles on a beach while you are on holiday....and interesting passtime, but you chuck them all away at the end of the holiday, as they are pretty useless. You can only use so many paperweights, doors stops, whatever.

I never joined facebook...and never will. I am a monkey not a sheep. I don't go with the herd. I like to be out in front.......that is where the view is best.
To be honest Margaret you've certainly not miss anything by not having a Facebook account, in fact I'm going to cancel mine when I find out how to do it. I don't use it, I have never posted on my wall (whatever that is) have only ever commented on other peoples posts. Can't get my head round some of the post that appear on facebook, things like I'm raving mad this morning, then nothing, I'm raving made every morning but I would put it on facebook, I honestly can't see the attraction myself
Old 03-02-2012, 09:25   #165
Give, give, give member

Quote:

I don't have millions of friends.

I use Facebook to say in touch with real friends.

All of whom I've met.

Including your lovely daughter.

I know you have a dislike of Facebook, but it's there to use, as you wish.

To me it's not that much different from Accy Web.

Just a bit more personal.

You have total control, over who you share things with.

There's certainly more control over who can have access to you, than having a public blog on Accy Web.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..