Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 09:29   #166
Give, give, give member

Re: Going far too far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
To be honest Margaret you've certainly not miss anything by not having a Facebook account, in fact I'm going to cancel mine when I find out how to do it. I don't use it, I have never posted on my wall (whatever that is) have only ever commented on other peoples posts. Can't get my head round some of the post that appear on facebook, things like I'm raving mad this morning, then nothing, I'm raving made every morning but I would put it on facebook, I honestly can't see the attraction myself
You're right.

Some people feel the need to share what they've had for tea, or what mood they're in.

But people like that do that everywhere.

Including on here.

I've had apple museli, am on my third cup of coffee, and as usual, my mood could be described as sunny, by the way.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2012, 09:33   #167
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You're right.

Some people feel the need to share what they've had for tea, or what mood they're in.

But people like that do that everywhere.

Including on here.

I've had apple museli, am on my third cup of coffee, and as usual, my mood could be described as sunny, by the way.

Well I've never said what I'm having for tea on here, but I have on another web site because the have a thread on it
Old 03-02-2012, 09:33   #168
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

You don't have to be a sheep to use facebook, nor do you have to have to have millions of friends, my list of contacts is restricted (by me), to immediate family & friends.
As you have mentioned elsewhere, it is only a tool and just needs a little care about how it's used.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:38   #169
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have never been a fan of facebook.....and being a 'facebook friend'?
What, exactly, is that all about anyway?

If you have half a million facebook friends does that automatically make you a better person? does it make you someone that other look up to?

No, it is like collecting pebbles on a beach while you are on holiday....and interesting passtime, but you chuck them all away at the end of the holiday, as they are pretty useless. You can only use so many paperweights, doors stops, whatever.

I never joined facebook...and never will. I am a monkey not a sheep. I don't go with the herd. I like to be out in front.......that is where the view is best.
If you Google what I share with friends on Facebook, because of the security settings available, no one else can see what I've written.

Google you name, and blog title, and what you've shared is there for the whole wide world to read.

Some would say you've shared much more personal information in your blog, than I have, posting photos my friends can laugh at, of me sweating on a beach somewhere.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:41   #170
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well I've never said what I'm having for tea on here, but I have on another web site because the have a thread on it
There's a what I've had for my tea thread on Blackburn Web?

Thanks for the tip off.

Just in case I'm ever tempted to have a nosey, I now know not to bother.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:48   #171
Beacon of light

Quote:

I know you have a dislike of Facebook, but it's there to use, as you wish.

To me it's not that much different from Accy Web.

Just a bit more personal.

You have total control, over who you share things with.

There's certainly more control over who can have access to you, than having a public blog on Accy Web.

My blog is only public because that is how I choose it to be on Accyweb....if I wanted, I could make it private and only visible to the people who I want to read it.
And yes I accept that for some, facebook is a useful tool, but it seems a bit invasive and insidious to me.........all the companies want you to'like' their products, TV programs want you to 'like' them.
Perhaps it is a generational thing too........maybe the young folk who walk around with their phones seemingly welded to their hands need it to feel some sort of validity....which is entirely the wrong message they should be getting........and I do feel that perhaps they measure their popularity/value by the number of frriends on their facebook page.....this is because thy haven't got the maturity to realise what real friends are about. Virtual friends are no substitute for real friends.........and I know that you G, John, and Less are old enough to know that, and have developed real live friends.
I'm not sure that some of the young folk on facebook know how to make, and keep friendships.

Again, this is purely my opinion on the subject, and doesn't amount to much.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:51   #172
Resting in Peace

Quote:
There's a what I've had for my tea thread on Blackburn Web?

Thanks for the tip off.

Just in case I'm ever tempted to have a nosey, I now know not to bother.

Tell you what you get some very good tips of meals on there Rindi
Old 03-02-2012, 10:00   #173
Give, give, give member

Quote:
My blog is only public because that is how I choose it to be on Accyweb....if I wanted, I could make it private and only visible to the people who I want to read it.
And yes I accept that for some, facebook is a useful tool, but it seems a bit invasive and insidious to me.........all the companies want you to'like' their products, TV programs want you to 'like' them.
Perhaps it is a generational thing too........maybe the young folk who walk around with their phones seemingly welded to their hands need it to feel some sort of validity....which is entirely the wrong message they should be getting........and I do feel that perhaps they measure their popularity/value by the number of frriends on their facebook page.....this is because thy haven't got the maturity to realise what real friends are about. Virtual friends are no substitute for real friends.........and I know that you G, John, and Less are old enough to know that, and have developed real live friends.
I'm not sure that some of the young folk on facebook know how to make, and keep friendships.

We've been here before.

I know you have a dislike of Facebook.

But I say again, like anything, it's there to be used, as you choose.

No one forces you to 'like' anything.

The thing is, knowing you, and your love of reading, I know you'd like some aspects of Facebook.

It's interesting discussing what you've read, with others who've enjoyed the same book, and even being able to ask the author questions, about things that puzzle you.

I know you've decided it's not for you, but don't dismiss people that do gain some enjoyment from it, as all being the same.

I don't collect friends like pebbles, to bolster my self-worth.

I do have a mobile. I hate texting, and as my friends will tell you, it's rarely even switched on.

It's there when I decide I want to use it.

Just like Facebook.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:11   #174
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Virtual friends are no substitute for real friends
True.

They can't give you a physical cuddle, and things like that.

However, 'virtual friends' can be very important.

I've developed friendships with lots of people on Accy Web. Many of whom I've never met, nor am I likely to.

That doesn't diminish the importance they have for me.

You yourself I considered a friend, long before we met, that one and only time.

Your friendship was valued, as was your opinions, and support.

The fact that for a long time, you were only a 'virtual friend', made no difference to how much I appreciated you being a part of my life.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:14   #175
Beacon of light

Gary I don't dismiss those who use it appropriately and gain enjoyment or enlightenment from it. Those who are mature enough(and that means you) to use it in a sensible way. If that floats their boat then I am happy for them.
But is does seem open to abuse, and when this abuse is pointed out to facebook's owners/moderators/those who run the site......it seems that there is little will for them to put a stop to it.

It also worries me that some young people are growing up with non-existent personal skills because they spend much of their time in faceless contact with these so called friends.

Like you, I have a phone which is rarely switched on....I don't send text messages either....my phone is there for my convenience...not that of other people.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:20   #176
Resting In Peace

Quote:

Well Marg my opinion is pretty much the same as yours. What does liking and being a Facebook friend really mean? Very little in the real world, and I cannot understand the need to share things but then I have always preferred to keep things to myself.

Anyway I spend so much time on Accyweb if I also used Facebook and Twitter etc there wouldn't be time for anything else. But then Accyweb is a real online community.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:22   #177
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Gary I don't dismiss those who use it appropriately and gain enjoyment or enlightenment from it. Those who are mature enough(and that means you) to use it in a sensible way. If that floats their boat then I am happy for them.
But is does seem open to abuse, and when this abuse is pointed out to facebook's owners/moderators/those who run the site......it seems that there is little will for them to put a stop to it.

It also worries me that some young people are growing up with non-existent personal skills because they spend much of their time in faceless contact with these so called friends.

Like you, I have a phone which is rarely switched on....I don't send text messages either....my phone is there for my convenience...not that of other people.
Oh part of me agrees with you.

But shallowness isn't confined to the young, but can be seen in whole swathes of the society we live in today.

I blame Thatcher, for encouraging the concept of greed.

Whether that's people only thinking they're happy if they've bought the latest must-have gizmo...or them having a thousand 'friends' on Facebook.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:25   #178
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

Anyway I spend so much time on Accyweb if I also used Facebook and Twitter etc there wouldn't be time for anything else. But then Accyweb is a real online community.
Yes, I feel that too. It has a warm feel to it....sometimes hot when passions and tempers flare.

My husband already thinks that I spend far too much time sequestered in the back bedroom with the one eyed monster. I really don't have time for facebook or twitter.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:27   #179
Resting In Peace

Quote:
True.

They can't give you a physical cuddle, and things like that.

However, 'virtual friends' can be very important.

I've developed friendships with lots of people on Accy Web. Many of whom I've never met, nor am I likely to.

That doesn't diminish the importance they have for me.

You yourself I considered a friend, long before we met, that one and only time.

Your friendship was valued, as was your opinions, and support.

The fact that for a long time, you were only a 'virtual friend', made no difference to how much I appreciated you being a part of my life.
Quote:

I agree with Gary about finding virtual friends on Accyweb which I feel I have done in the few months I have been a member. And they have been very supportive recently. But Facebook friends do not seem so genuine - merely a way of adding to the numbers, which means very little.

I also agree with Margaret about how young people are growing up. And about mobile phone use...
Old 03-02-2012, 10:28   #180
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I blame Thatcher, for encouraging the concept of greed.

Whether that's people only thinking they're happy if they've bought the latest must-have gizmo...or them having a thousand 'friends' on Facebook.

Very true, Gary.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..