Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 10:32   #181
Give, give, give member

Re: Going far too far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Well Marg my opinion is pretty much the same as yours. What does liking and being a Facebook friend really mean? Very little in the real world, and I cannot understand the need to share things but then I have always preferred to keep things to myself.

Anyway I spend so much time on Accyweb if I also used Facebook and Twitter etc there wouldn't be time for anything else. But then Accyweb is a real online community.
I do see where you and Marg are coming from.

But what's the difference between sharing things on here, and Facebook?

Other than on Facebook you can choose who sees what you've shared.

I know people only decide to post what they feel comfortable with on a forum such as this.

However, even though I've never met you, from what you've posted on a forum that's now available for the whole world to read, I know lots of things about you. From exactly where you live, your relationship, where you've lived and worked, and about your recent health problems.

If you'd have posted all that on Facebook, you'd have total control over who has access to the information you shared.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2012, 10:38   #182
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, I feel that too. It has a warm feel to it....sometimes hot when passions and tempers flare.

My husband already thinks that I spend far too much time sequestered in the back bedroom with the one eyed monster. I really don't have time for facebook or twitter.
Yes, it may feel like we're chatting in some cosy snug, or chewing the fat over the garden wall.

The fact of the matter is, unlike Facebook, everything we post on here becomes public property, and can be accessed by anyone in the world, because it's now showing on every search engine's data base.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:56   #183
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I do see where you and Marg are coming from.

But what's the difference between sharing things on here, and Facebook?

Other than on Facebook you can choose who sees what you've shared.

I know people only decide to post what they feel comfortable with on a forum such as this.

However, even though I've never met you, from what you've posted on a forum that's now available for the whole world to read, I know lots of things about you. From exactly where you live, your relationship, where you've lived and worked, and about your recent health problems.

If you'd have posted all that on Facebook, you'd have total control over who has access to the information you shared.
You may be right but I still feel more comfortable here, maybe it's shared origins, nostalgia or whatever. I did think hard before posting about my hospital stay, but I am glad I mentioned it because of all the support I have had.

Facebook seems to me very shallow with its meaningless likes and be my friend. Not my thing at all. And I don't particularly mind about not having control over who sees my posts here. I won't share if I feel I don't want it to be seen by whoever. And I quite like the way some of my nostalgia posts have been picked up by people searching the net, which has encouraged them to join Accyweb themselves.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:18   #184
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You may be right but I still feel more comfortable here, maybe it's shared origins, nostalgia or whatever. I did think hard before posting about my hospital stay, but I am glad I mentioned it because of all the support I have had.

Facebook seems to me very shallow with its meaningless likes and be my friend. Not my thing at all. And I don't particularly mind about not having control over who sees my posts here. I won't share if I feel I don't want it to be seen by whoever. And I quite like the way some of my nostalgia posts have been picked up by people searching the net, which has encouraged them to join Accyweb themselves.
I agree. We decide what we want to share by posting on here.

However comfortable that might feel, the fact is every word is accessible to anyone in the whole world, forever more.

Unlike Facebook, where what you share is limited to those people you've decided can have access to what you've shared.

I'll say again, it is what you make of it, like anything else.

No one's pressurised to collect friends, or click that they 'like' anything.

People make informed choices. Just as they do on here.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:55   #185
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Well Marg my opinion is pretty much the same as yours. What does liking and being a Facebook friend really mean? Very little in the real world, and I cannot understand the need to share things but then I have always preferred to keep things to myself.

Anyway I spend so much time on Accyweb if I also used Facebook and Twitter etc there wouldn't be time for anything else. But then Accyweb is a real online community.
Being a facebook friend means different things to different people.

Some people play online games and have 1000's of contacts on they have never met.

I think I have 1 person on facebook that I have never met, we started chatted on iffy file sharing groups about 12 years ago. Everyone else is either family, friends or people I actually know. I have people I went to primary school on who I never see in real life but occasionally chat with online.

On facebook I post pictures and videos of my family for friends only to see. When I post pictures on here the whole world can see.
I do post public pictures on facebook/twitter but they are usually park pictures or things I dont class as personal.

I find it strange that people see facebook with all its privacy controls as an evil entity but will tell us all sorts about themselves on Accy web with zero privacy control.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:09   #186
Beacon of light

I think we know that Accyweb has zero privacy control. Does Accyweb sell our individual details to advertisers?

Facebook says it is free and will always be free.......that is because you are not a customer, you are their product....and can be sold to who they choose to sell your details to.

I think, Neil, there must be few people like you who have only one friend on facebook that they haven't met in the real world.

I suspect the majority accept friend requests without giving them a second thought.

Personally, for me, I don't trust myself to be savvy enough to navigate my way through their privacy system. And from what I have seen of the site(My daughter used to use it a lot to keep up with her Uni peers and professional issues - but uses it much less now - no time) I don't like it, it feels shallow......it doesn't appear to support any needs that I have.
I hate the little logo that companies use to ask us to 'like' them on facebook...it is enough to stop me from buying that product.
Thanks, but no thanks!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:20   #187
Beacon of light

I just know you are going to tell me that I am illogical. It is allowed. I'm a woman....I have my own logic, that might make sense to other women, but definitely not to men.

Anyway, have we subverted this thread or what?
I'm sure it isn't what the thread started out as being about.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:30   #188
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I think we know that Accyweb has zero privacy control. Does Accyweb sell our individual details to advertisers?

Facebook says it is free and will always be free.......that is because you are not a customer, you are their product....and can be sold to who they choose to sell your details to.

I think, Neil, there must be few people like you who have only one friend on facebook that they haven't met in the real world.

I suspect the majority accept friend requests without giving them a second thought.

Personally, for me, I don't trust myself to be savvy enough to navigate my way through their privacy system. And from what I have seen of the site(My daughter used to use it a lot to keep up with her Uni peers and professional issues - but uses it much less now - no time) I don't like it, it feels shallow......it doesn't appear to support any needs that I have.
I hate the little logo that companies use to ask us to 'like' them on facebook...it is enough to stop me from buying that product.
Thanks, but no thanks!
Facebook dont sell you to there advertisers, you sell yourself be getting involved with them.

I agree some people appear to accent friend requests from anyone. They are not really friends but its easier to say than "some geezer I met down the pub once 6 months ago and might want to keep in touch in case there is another all dayer planned"
Old 03-02-2012, 12:35   #189
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Facebook dont sell you to there advertisers, you sell yourself be getting involved with them.
Yes, it boils down to the same thing really(you become their product), except I am sure there are people out there who do not know/realise that.
Old 03-02-2012, 13:06   #190
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I just know you are going to tell me that I am illogical. It is allowed. I'm a woman....I have my own logic, that might make sense to other women, but definitely not to men.

Anyway, have we subverted this thread or what?
I'm sure it isn't what the thread started out as being about.
It's not illogical, it's just your choice.

Put your name and Accy Web into a search engine, it brings up all your blog posts, and everything you've ever posted in the threads.

Click images, and it brings up photos of your young relatives, playing at your home.

Put my name and Facebook into Google, you see nothing, unless you're someone I've decided I want to share things with.

I feel as I'm pushing Facebook. I'm not. I know anything I say will not convince you to change your mind about it.

It's just another option to communicate, and people have the choice to use it as they see fit.

Old 03-02-2012, 13:06   #191
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
The answer to that is a very important, NO!

Any revenue AccyWeb gets is from donations, (not many of them), and google ad's, (not enough of them), otherwise it is at the expense of the hard working owner.

To sell individual and personal details would be illegal without their permission, and against his upbringing.

By the way, the over 18's section is private, the spiders aren't allowed in.

Last edited by Less; 03-02-2012 at 13:08.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:18   #192
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's not illogical, it's just your choice.

Put your name and Accy Web into a search engine, it brings up all your blog posts, and everything you've ever posted in the threads.

Click images, and it brings up photos of your young relatives, playing at your home.

Put my name and Facebook into Google, you see nothing, unless you're someone I've decided I want to share things with.

I feel as I'm pushing Facebook. I'm not. I know anything I say will not convince you to change your mind about it.

It's just another option to communicate, and people have the choice to use it as they see fit.

I know this Gary. My pictures are on flickr too. As I have said it just isn't for me . If there comes a day when I don't want people to see anything about me...then maybe I would ask a mod to delete the lot.
Old 03-02-2012, 13:21   #193
Beacon of light

I'm so transparent anyway. Perhaps I should have chosen a pen name.
Old 03-02-2012, 13:25   #194
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I know this Gary. My pictures are on flickr too. As I have said it just isn't for me . If there comes a day when I don't want people to see anything about me...then maybe I would ask a mod to delete the lot.
That's an option, and things could be deleted from here.

However they would still be available to be seen in cyber space, for evermore though, because everything we put on a public forum has been scanned by the search engines, and is freely accessible to anyone who wants to look at it.

Unlike anything I share with people I know on Facebook, which remains private, until I decide I might want to delete something for good.

Old 03-02-2012, 13:28   #195
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'm so transparent anyway. Perhaps I should have chosen a pen name.
I do totally understand where you're coming from.

My Mum thinks the same way.

She even goes mad if someone tells her I've mentioned her on here.

Blast.

Done it again.

Due another telling off, for invading her privacy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..