Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 15:00   #196
Senior Member+

Re: Government Spy Program will Monitor you!

they might be for those in F/O areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What has that got to do with the government?
Virginmedia are doing it themselves at their cost because, in my opinion, they are the best ISP in the UK
Old 04-04-2012, 15:05   #197
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What has that got to do with the government?
Virginmedia are doing it themselves at their cost because, in my opinion, they are the best ISP in the UK
Yeh that's the wrong link! The government are putting in several millions to speed up broad band it was in the March budget!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 16:45   #198
Beacon of light

I can't quite see how this would improve the the practical problem of monitoring everyone who has a broadband connection.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 17:14   #199
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
they might be for those in F/O areas
Its not very good in my area Restless, theres no cable at all round my neck of the woods
Old 04-04-2012, 17:17   #200
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I can't quite see how this would improve the the practical problem of monitoring everyone who has a broadband connection.
Legislation or no legislation, if your using the Internet for terrorist activities and are known to the authorities they'll still keep tabs on you no matter what
Old 04-04-2012, 17:41   #201
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its not very good in my area Restless, theres no cable at all round my neck of the woods
I think that you are wrong.
Cable is available at my flat - I ordered it as I moved here, and only cancelled because they botched the date, leaving me with no telephone for the week I was moving in.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 17:46   #202
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I think that you are wrong.
Cable is available at my flat - I ordered it as I moved here, and only cancelled because they botched the date, leaving me with no telephone for the week I was moving in.
Don't think they got as far as my place Margaret, because I actually tried to get Virgin some time ago and they said they could install in my flat as there was no service available, can't remember it changing
Old 04-04-2012, 17:51   #203
God Member

Quote:
Don't think they got as far as my place Margaret, because I actually tried to get Virgin some time ago and they said they could install in my flat as there was no service available, can't remember it changing
I checked -
Virgin Media Packages From £6 - Compare Prices for April 2012

strange that they didn't cable there.

Old 04-04-2012, 17:57   #204
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I checked -
Virgin Media Packages From £6 - Compare Prices for April 2012

strange that they didn't cable there.
Well it says its available, but I certainly can't remember any upgrades round here, they went right past the end of Mallard Place in the nineties and I enquired about broadband within the last 4 years and they said no can do, strange very strange
Old 04-04-2012, 18:02   #205
God Member

It Isn't available
"Virgin Media is not available in BB5 3SY"

Old 04-04-2012, 18:07   #206
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It Isn't available
"Virgin Media is not available in BB5 3SY"
Thanks Margaret, thought I was going round the bend, knew it wasn't available only recently
Old 04-04-2012, 19:07   #207
Beacon of light

Quote:
Legislation or no legislation, if your using the Internet for terrorist activities and are known to the authorities they'll still keep tabs on you no matter what
Yes John, but that is very different to being able(physically) to monitor every visit to a website, every e-mail and mobile phone call/text message by every person who has internet facilities ........and done in real time. Now that would take some doing. I don't believe the resources exist to do it.........the hardware may exist, but it takes manpower to determine what is worth pursuing and what is not.
Old 04-04-2012, 19:28   #208
God Member

Quote:
Yes John, but that is very different to being able(physically) to monitor every visit to a website, every e-mail and mobile phone call/text message by every person who has internet facilities ........and done in real time. Now that would take some doing. I don't believe the resources exist to do it.........the hardware may exist, but it takes manpower to determine what is worth pursuing and what is not.
I think there is some of confusion here about how the new regulations will work.. the government will force all ISP's to store data of website visits, e.mail usage etc of everyone who uses the internet for at least 2 years.. on request this information will be given to various government agencies and maybe given to some private companies..no extra manpower is needed because the ISP's to do all the work.

Last edited by Mancie; 04-04-2012 at 19:32.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 19:59   #209
Senior Member+

Quote:
Margaret, it doesn't need massive resources of manpower- the hardware and its software do it for them and will highlight anyone who needs 'attention'.
Visiting certain websites, using certain words, phrases,names will make your activity become highlighted, they can then ask the ISP for full details.
To cut down on unnecessary work they can use combinations of all the above to increase their confidence in a good 'hit'.
I'm all for whatever it takes to improve our security but the mass surveillance of the whole population is going too far.
If it comes in I think there will be some very surprised innocent citizens getting 6am visits and needing new front doors!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 20:09   #210
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I think there is some of confusion here about how the new regulations will work.. the government will force all ISP's to store data of website visits, e.mail usage etc of everyone who uses the internet for at least 2 years.. on request this information will be given to various government agencies and maybe given to some private companies..no extra manpower is needed because the ISP's to do all the work.
I understand that the ISP's have to retain the information for two years, but I'm sure I read that the surveillance that was going to be used would access information about who was using what sites in 'real time'

I am aware that the surveillance agency will not be able to view the content of the communication....only that the communication exists.
If it is something that is thought to be a security risk, then further legal powers will have to be exercised to view the communication.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..