Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54   #151
Beacon of light

Re: Government Spy Program will Monitor you!

I do wish people would not use the term Accyweb Mafia - there is no such thing.

And Kestrelx, you are accusing people of things that you, yourself do.
You might get heated in your arguments, and that is alright.....it shows you are passionate about what you believe in........but then you descend into personal insults.....this not a good tactic.

Changing peoples ideas and attitudes needs a long game, with strategies that appear soft and gentle, but still carry the message. Sometimes compromise is needed too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-04-2012, 09:57   #152
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I do wish people would not use the term Accyweb Mafia - there is no such thing.

And Kestrelx, you are accusing people of things that you, yourself do.
You might get heated in your arguments, and that is alright.....it shows you are passionate about what you believe in........but then you descend into personal insults.....this not a good tactic.

Changing peoples ideas and attitudes needs a long game, with strategies that appear soft and gentle, but still carry the message. Sometimes compromise is needed too.
Yeh I know your buddy buddy with Jaysay - so what else can I expect to hear from you Others here are attackers that is why I have attacked because of Trolls like Garinda...this guy will twist my words all the time - there is no excuse for it! It's trolling!

Last edited by kestrelx; 02-04-2012 at 10:00.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:01   #153
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Yeh I know your buddy buddy with Jaysay - so what else can I expect to hear from you Others here are attackers that is why I have attacked because of Trolls like Garinda...
Pratt, and for your information I've never had the pleasure of meeting Margaret.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:03   #154
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Pratt, and for your information I've never had the pleasure of meeting Margaret.
Yeh but you met others - the issue is - your more likely to agree with someone you've had a few pints with than someone you havn't! This is merely an observation!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:07   #155
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yeh but you met others - the issue is - your more likely to agree with someone you've had a few pints with than someone you havn't! This is merely an observation!
The only member I've had a pint with who uses this website is Cashy, end of story
Old 02-04-2012, 10:08   #156
Beacon of light

Quote:
Yeh I know your buddy buddy with Jaysay - so what else can I expect to hear from you Others here are attackers that is why I have attacked because of Trolls like Garinda...this guy will twist my words all the time - there is no excuse for it! It's trolling!

What has this got to do with anything? I am my own person with my own opinions and ideas. I do not rely on anyone else to influence my thoughts. I can think for myself and come to my own conclusions about issues.

I am not as you say 'buddy buddy' with Jaysay, but we are of the same era, and therefore we have similar morals and ethics.....and perhaps ideals.

What I say on here I would happily say to your face. I don't believe I have insulted you(certainly didn't call you slime, or was it slug, as you did to another forum member)........I tell it as I see it. If you find that difficult to stomach, then you perhaps should consider looking at your own inadequacies and issues rather than trying to correct what you see as other peoples problems.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 22:10   #157
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
For one jaysay i don't have a TV license & I don't intend on getting one .. I am not paying for the BBC simple as that! .. more fool you for having one

They are in breach of there contract by receiving funding from the EU
Good man.

Quote:
I just hope that argument stands up in court.
Why would he end up in court?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Anyone who avoids paying for a licence is a thief. I'll have a good laugh when you are in court. You really are dim, aren't you?
I would say he is dim at all, seems like he could of done his research and knows the score.

Quote:
Next you will be saying you don't pay for a driving licence or tax your car, that is if you are old enough to drive a car. You are coming across as a little squirt.
Different ball game, you apply for a driving licence you don't apply for a TV licence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
There is no need for a 'detector van'. In order to find out if some one has a TV license or not all you need is a list of addresses, say the Electoral Register, or a complete list of every address in the country. Then you just match it up to those who have not got a TV license.
Simples.
Wrighty, I would be very very careful posting how you don't have a license, it may come to bite you.
Its a invitation to pay, sent to the legal occupier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have learned recently that those detector vans are a scam.
BBC admits that TV detector vans only work because Britons believe they do – Boing Boing Gadgets

They worked to reduce licence evasion just because the public had been told they did, not because they were capable of detecting anything.

If that is true, and licence enforcers have no rights to enter property, how can they prove in court that you tuned in to a live broadcast?
No right what so ever to enter your property.

Quote:
I wonder if Virgin Media and Sky are obliged to reveal the names and addresses of their customers. If so, it would be easy to cross-reference if their customers have TV licences.
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
But even though you don't watch that much TV you have the good sense to have a licence. They do catch people who don't have a licence as can readily be seen in the Obs most weeks
Because they contract with the licencing people.

Quote:
[I]Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they're being shown on television without a valid TV Licence. The Act empowers the BBC to make and amend the terms and conditions of a licence. It allows the government to make regulations to exempt or reduce the licence fee for certain persons in certain circumstances. It also makes it an offence for anyone to have any television receiver in their possession or under their control who intends to install or use it in contravention of the main offence (above), or knows, or has reasonable grounds for believing, that another person intends to install or use a television receiver in contravention of the main offence.

The Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967 (as amended) requires television dealers to notify TV Licensing of all their sales and rentals of television sets. This includes analogue and digital TV sets, DVD and video recorders, digital boxes and computers (including laptops) with TV cards.

The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 define what is a 'television set' and who is a 'television dealer'. The regulations also set out the various types of TV Licence, the criteria for obtaining them, the fees payable for them (including the frequency and amount of instalments) and the different concessions available, including concessions for people who are blind or severely sight impaired, people who are over 74 years of age, people who live in residential care and people who run hotels, guesthouses or campsites.

This is from the TV licensing site......if you want to look up exactly what Part 4 of the regulations says, well that is up to you. But, in short,you are breaking the law....and you have told all of us that you are breaking the law. Not sensible is it?
Quote:
That is up to the law to sort out, and believe me they are far happier to deal with people who don't have a TV licence than they are to deal with a huge corporation like the BBC.......so if you have a working TV(or for that matter a computer or laptop that is capable of receiving TV stations) and no licence, then you are breaking the law, and could be prosecuted.

It might be better to keep your mouth shut.......who knows, they may be able to trace you from the information that you have already posted.

I prefer to stay legal and follow the law of the land.....I don't consider that as stupid, but what you are doing is(stupid)...your choice!
Its an ACT not the law of the land, Civil offence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well i do, Rule1 of any fiddle- Keep yer big gob shut.
Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think they could if they wanted to.

For an example look that the guy on twitter arrested for the comments he made about Fabrice Muamba.
Who could?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If you search the internet you will find that the police need a court order to obtain the IP address of a forum/twitter/facebook/etc poster.
The police then request details about who used that IP address at that time/date from the ISP. They may not even need a court order to get the details from the ISP. Depending on the offence this could be enough evidence for a search warrant and seizure of the offending persons PC/phone equipment for forensic investigation.
Why would the police get involved for TV licence?
Old 02-04-2012, 22:47   #158
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Rubbish - in the old days before the internet people would not speak to people like they do here and on the Internet, in pubs there would have been a lot more fights. The thing with the Internet is people can say what they want with no instant comeback, so people like Garinda can be vindictive and get a way with it - they would not do that in a pub or club!
You really have no idea at all if thats what yeh think.
Old 02-04-2012, 22:54   #159
Senior Member+

I have read that in America that FBI can access skype when ever they want and read your messages and even switch on your webcam.

This may be paranoid nonsense as where I actually read it was a dubious source but here is an interesting article on webcams and hackers

Guard Yourself with these Tips on Webcam Safety
Old 02-04-2012, 23:06   #160
Senior Member+

There was CB Radio. That was rather popular. I seem to remember 3 people alone were using them in the 80's on Steiner ST where I was growing up at the time. My friend said he used to use CB a lot and often there was trouble caused via that medium with rather negative results.

Another friend and neighbour from those days, many years back then also operated a CB. His name was Ernest Walton, he is now deceased (rip ernie) he also was a master at Morse Code. He used to communicate with people from around the world via Morse and they would make friends and trade postcards and things. So it goes to show it is down to the person and how they are with people which results in the way they are treated.

Quote:
Rubbish - in the old days before the internet people would not speak to people like they do here and on the Internet, in pubs there would have been a lot more fights. The thing with the Internet is people can say what they want with no instant comeback, so people like Garinda can be vindictive and get a way with it - they would not do that in a pub or club!
Old 02-04-2012, 23:13   #161
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
There was CB Radio. That was rather popular. I seem to remember 3 people alone were using them in the 80's on Steiner ST where I was growing up at the time. My friend said he used to use CB a lot and often there was trouble caused via that medium with rather negative results.

Another friend and neighbour from those days, many years back then also operated a CB. His name was Ernest Walton, he is now deceased (rip ernie) he also was a master at Morse Code. He used to communicate with people from around the world via Morse and they would make friends and trade postcards and things. So it goes to show it is down to the person and how they are with people which results in the way they are treated.
Totally differnet thing mate CB and the Internet! Millions of people could read this if they wanted - CB was much more closed and people then were much more well mannered - knowing that if they started being abusive over CB they'd be turned off - not so easy on the Internet.

Also I have been civil to people here it is their response that is at fault. You are lucky you weren't attacked by your comments about drugs - others have been attacked for expressing similar views to you - read the threads and you will see.

I post on other forums about issues that here would be attacked for commenting about, but I am not slandered there, only here because some people here have very strict opinons and are not open minded.
Old 02-04-2012, 23:18   #162
Senior Member+

I never used CB, but I was just throwing it out there as an older method of public communication.

My mate who was from Blackburn in the 80's told me there was lots of fighting over conversations that happened on CB
Old 02-04-2012, 23:18   #163
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Also I have been civil to people here it is their response that is at fault. You are lucky you weren't attacked by your comments about drugs - others have been attacked for expressing similar views to you - read the threads and you will see.
Perhaps its not lucky,? Perhaps its cos even though some may disagree he talks far more sense that you?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:58   #164
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Perhaps its not lucky,? Perhaps its cos even though some may disagree he talks far more sense that you?
Which is not hard work 99% of the time cashy
Old 03-04-2012, 12:24   #165

Great to know the taxpayers will be paying for the government & there agencies to snoop on everyone at a cost of 200 million a year

Taxpayers must foot £200 million bill to have their emails snooped on - Telegraph
Wrighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..