Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2005, 10:24   #46
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Guilty of fly tipping

I agree with the people on here who talk about the blue boxes. They are a bad idea. Too small for most people, blow about in the wind, have sharp tins and glass bottles for kids to hurt themselves on, have next to useless lids.

They do however make excellent toy boxes which is what mine is used for. It is a little full now so I have to decide wether to get rid of some toys or ask HBC for another one.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:34   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil

They do however make excellent toy boxes which is what mine is used for. It is a little full now so I have to decide wether to get rid of some toys or ask HBC for another one.
Well if its full Neil just be a good boy and put it out and all the toys will be recycled .
then you can start again the kids will be pleased at the new toys and you will have done your bit for the enviroment hehe

although you should put the plastic toys in the white sack first

Last edited by Mick; 06-04-2005 at 10:37.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:40   #48
God Member

Quote:
WOW !!! I hope you rang the refuse department and described the offending litterbug. I bet he does not get a £1000 fine.
No neil I didn't ring them but yes looking at it in hind sight I probably should have, but I always think what's the point they will only fob me off or tell me no-one is available to take my call or leave me on hold for ages! I was more shocked at how he just shoved them off if they weren't supposed to have been there wouldn't it have been more sensible to pick them up and place them at the side. Saying that though the most sensible thing would have been to place his hand on top of the bags to stop them tumbling off while he took the bin to the wagon. I can honestly say if it had of been mine I wouldn't have been held responsible for my actions
Old 06-04-2005, 11:28   #49
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
I can honestly say if it had of been mine I wouldn't have been held responsible for my actions
I thought fairies were supposed to be cute and gentle not threatening towards refuse collectors .
Old 06-04-2005, 11:33   #50
God Member

Quote:
I thought fairies were supposed to be cute and gentle not threatening towards refuse collectors .

Oh yeah I forgot! Well in that case I would have to sprinkle magic fairy dust ove the refuse collectors and then they might be able to do their jobs properly That better?
Old 06-04-2005, 11:35   #51
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Oh yeah I forgot! .................. That better?
Yep thats much better. How about waving you wand over Scaithcliffe House while your at it
Old 06-04-2005, 11:36   #52
God Member

Quote:
Yep thats much better. How about waving you wand over Scaithcliffe House while your at it

Bl**dy hell Neil I'm a fairy not a miracle worker!!!
Old 06-04-2005, 11:44   #53
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I am in Oswaldtwistle, we have alternate week collection for recylable one week and non-recyclable the week after. Is this common throughout Hyndburn now or are some areas still weekly?
Old 06-04-2005, 12:59   #54
Resident Waffler

It's alternate weeks here in Willows Lane and we've got a dilemma coming up in May when we'll be away for 2 weeks. My bin was emptied this morning and the contents must have been a bit heavy. The bin men reacted to that by throwing the empty bin back into the yard where it landed on its side. (Photo to follow)

I had excess rubbish which I didn't put into the bin or out with the bin since receiving the letter telling me they won't take extra bin bags. I still have that rubbish and I'm going to have to take it to the tip myself. It's barmy. It still ends up at the tip anyway so why can't they take it? If I wasn't supposed to take it to the tip what else am I supposed to do with it? It isn't recyclable. It's rubbish. I recycle everything I can possibly recycle, including things they don't collect so what am I supposed to do with the rest when it won't fit in my bin?

To add insult to injury have you seen the pics Busman posted of the black bin bags down his back alley which the bin men REMOVED this morning when emptying wheelie bins? What have they got that the rest of us haven't? Humph!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 19:54   #55
Accrington Web Mascot

I agree with chav1 - the wheelie bins would be the right size for most families if they still collected weekly.

There are just two of us and to be honest our wheelie bin is the perfect size for two weeks - but I can understand how bigger families struggle. I believe you can get extra bins but I know a few people who have tried and been turned down even though they are recycling what they can and only putting non-recycleable rubbish in the wheelie bins.

The e-mail from HBC stated that recycleable waste is 60% of all household waste - well I wouldn't agree in my case (& probably that of others) - as I say, I put out 1 wheelie bin full every two weeks (approx 3 black bags) but the recycleable waste I put out every two weeks would probably only fill 2 bags at the most - I'm not that great at maths but I know that ain't 60%!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 21:44   #56
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

There is an art to filling a wheelie bin. You have to make sure there are no spaces in it. I find an easy way is to wack it down with a spade. Its amazing what you can fit in one. A couple of weeks ago mine had about 4 buckets full of gravel and the middle secton of my wifes car exhaust I replaced in it. I find keeping the cardboard seperate is very important. I did not realise how much card we throw away.
Old 06-04-2005, 23:06   #57
I am Banned

if %60 of waste is rubbish then i will take %60 of my childs nappies after a few days with dihorea and let them smash them flat with a spade so they will fit in a wheelie bin lol

to be honest i resent been told to play with my rubbish and have recycling forced upon me it should be a choice

personaly i would be quite happy to throw bottles and tins into a box for them to take away but having to wash out sharp bean tins etc so that they dont rot and stink my home out is too far

instead of forcing the responsibilty on us why dosnt the council/govenment make companies use more bio-degradable materials so that stuff would simply rot

why dont they put as much pressure on companies who polute to stop poluting

the simple answer is that the general public is easier to threaten with a £1000 fine than to take on the real culprits like shell , mcdonalds , chemical plants and many other buisnesses

in most cases the fine for poluting is 10 times less than the cost of disposing of chemical waste safely so it is easier and cheaper for large companies to pay fines

i am not a tree hugger or friend of the earth type person but i am totaly pi**ed of at the blame of the uks pollution and waste been dropped on the public when it is the govenments , large buisnesses fault etc
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:13   #58

We are running out of space to bury all our waste. It makes sense to recycle. There's nothing wrong with having a sensible responsible attitude to the future. The child of whose nappies you now speak will inherit the mess we leave behind. It's a fact that we create far more rubbish than we are able to cope with and that if in the past more had been recycled we wouldn't have as much of a problem as we do today.

Having said that, I also agree that councils need to adopt a more tolerant approach and if rubbish is non-recyclable then it is their responsibility to remove it whether it fits inside a wheelie bin with a closed lid or not.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:59   #59
I am Banned

i dont mind recycling but i dont see why my house should become a recycling plant

if the council are willing to take the trash every week then i will recycle until then all my crap goes in the bin regardless of what it is and the trash that dosnt fit gets disposed of via other methods
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:08   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
i dont mind recycling but i dont see why my house should become a recycling plant

if the council are willing to take the trash every week then i will recycle until then all my crap goes in the bin regardless of what it is and the trash that dosnt fit gets disposed of via other methods
Chav I have to agree with you. Some time before christmas (early december), I watched the bin men that were supposed to be collecting recycling waste. I had put my blue box out the front (as usual) along with my blue bag (plastic bottles),they went next door but wlked right passed mine, I then thought that maybe they will come back up the other side of the street to collect mine. OOOOOOOOOH no they vanished and never emptied mine. So on the blower to the council again. ''SORRY about that madam, we will get some one over as soon as possible to collect the things''. I was happy with that and left my things out the front to be taken away. Well I waited and waited and.........nothing after 2 days apart from me, running up and down the street every half an hour trying to catch the wind swept littler that had been lown around the estate.
So it goes without saying, I too just put all rubbish in the bin bags now and dispose of in the weelie bin. If they can't be ars'd doing their bit, I can't be ars'd doing mine.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..