Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2005, 10:40   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Hospitals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Neil its being honest not racist they would be exactly the same if the position was reversed.
No they would be racist and get away with it.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-09-2005, 13:01   #17
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

The sad thing is Neil, is that you're right. We did try open visiting on the Maternity unit several years ago (at the request of the mums). Within a few months new mums were requesting that visiting be restricted again because they were tired of having to entertain all day, then be up half the night with the baby.

On maternity especially, we do realise that people get excited about having a new baby in the family. However, people are only in hospital for 1 day now if everything is normal. They are only in for 3-4 days following a Caesarian if the recovery is normal, Therefore there is no need for hundreds of visitors to be piling into the hospital. They should be waiting until the woman goes home and visiting her there. Babies don't change that much in the first few days so they're not missing anything by waiting.

Incidentally, I have yet to see a visitor actually wash their hands before handling a new baby, despite being asked and despite there being notices all over the wards now. The worst offenders, I am sad to say, are the mother-in-laws.....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 13:09   #18
God Member

Who said mother in laws know best?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 14:33   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
The sad thing is Neil, is that you're right.
Thanks a lot for nothing, just occasionally I am right.

Quote:
The worst offenders, I am sad to say, are the mother-in-laws.....
I always said they are the root of all evil.

The hospital have rules about numbers around a bed etc. It was nice to see security at least trying to stick to it. At visiting times it was like a circus on the maternity wards. Fortunately my wife was in a side ward becasue of complications
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 15:43   #20
Resident Waffler

Speaking from a patient's viewpoint when I was really ill in hospital the last thing I wanted was a constant stream of visitors. I just wanted a bit of peace and quiet. That was more or less impossible because if I didn't have visitors myself there were plenty more spilling over from other beds! Did the parents try to keep their children in check? What do you think?!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 16:13   #21
God Member

It is awful being a parent in hospital though, and not seeing your chidren for long periods of time. Yes the system shouldn't be abused, but it is awful stuck in them plaes on your own.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 16:40   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Speaking from a patient's viewpoint when I was really ill in hospital the last thing I wanted was a constant stream of visitors. I just wanted a bit of peace and quiet. That was more or less impossible because if I didn't have visitors myself there were plenty more spilling over from other beds! Did the parents try to keep their children in check? What do you think?!
The kids ran riot and you were pulling your hair out and looking foer ear defenders.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 21-09-2005, 19:44   #23
Beacon of light

The LET have always jumped on every hospital story.......they frequently misquote and misrepresent.....or tell the story in such a way as to reflect badly on the hospital staff.
They are a bit like those ambulance chasing lawyers in that respect......rather than report about the good things that are happening they report the deficiencies in a sensationalistic way. Don't get me wrong, I do think that if there ARe deficiencies then they should be reported, but in a mature and balanced manner, noting what attempts are being made to redress the situation. Fat chance with the LET!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 20:24   #24
God Member

If it wasnt for the LET we might have fewer discussions than we do. They are great for a topic for pingpong.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 21-09-2005, 20:42   #25
Beacon of light

While that is true, it causes panic in folk who are due to be admitted......and that can't be good.

I worked within the NHS for almost 29years......the skin on my hands is wrecked from the handwashing, the use of latex gloves and strong detergents......but I wouldn't have it any other way.

The other thing that works in favour of MRSA is the bigger turnover of patients......this has again been driven by political targets. I know some days on the ward that I worked on we could have as many as 3 different patients in one bed over a 24 hour period....not all at the same time you understand. that is three lots of visitors for each patient too.

Patients also move around the hospital much more......they stand at the hospital doors smoking.....drips and sometimes surgical drains on show for all to see..... they might just as well get on a bus and have a ride around town. They go into the dining room where they sit down in a seat that may just have been vacated by one of the building workers in their working clothes.......and if you try to explain to them that this is not a good practice from the control of infection viewpoint, you get a mouthful of effing and jeffing...... no-one seems to respect the fact that the nurses don't get a big thrill out of telling patients what they should not do when it is for their own good. There need to be some radical changes to how patients AND visitors conduct themselves. I am sure that Lettie will corroborate a lot of what I have said in these posts......she is still on the sharp end!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 11:10   #26
Filthy / Gorgeous

I wholeheartedly agree with Margaret although I don't say that I'm on the sharp end (what I do say still begins with 'sh' though) We have had the MRSA discussion on here before and it is due to a combination of factors.
Private cleaning services, too few cleaners for too many clinical areas.
Not screening patients before planned operations (although that wouldn't be possible for emergencies)
The vast amount of visitors and general disrespect of the building (spitting and peeing in the lifts etc.) Yes......They do this!!!!!
Poor handwashing practices..... Doctors have been shown to be the worst culprits. It seems the higher up you get, the more naturally sterile you become Sparks can vouch that my hands are a real mess from the constant handwashing, this is a problem which will never be cured as long as I still work there, and they are damn sore.

Lastly meeting targets and provision of new services takes staff away from clinical areas. We are treating more patients than ever, yet, beds have been cut, staff numbers are low in all areas (especially acute areas). If you are constantly rushed off you feet with emergencies, routine stuff, policing visitors, paperwork and telephone enquiries, how on Earth can you manage to do the cleaning up as well. On a 22 bedded maternity ward, there may only be 2 midwives working on one shift, with no support staff. That is looking after 22 mums and 22 babies. There are not enough hours in the day.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 22-09-2005, 11:16   #27
God Member

LETTIE QUOTE > (spitting and peeing in the lifts etc.) Yes......They do this!!!!! Doctors have been shown to be the worst culprits. < QOUTE

Surely this is wrong?? ...................................lmao.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 22-09-2005, 11:32   #28
Filthy / Gorgeous

Oooh Slinky!!!! You naughty girl.

With a misquote like that, you should work for LET..

Old 22-09-2005, 11:45   #29
God Member

Quote:
Oooh Slinky!!!! You naughty girl.

With a misquote like that, you should work for LET..
Sorry lettie, i couldn't resist that one.............................

Miracles do happen!!

Old 22-09-2005, 12:13   #30

Im not old enough to remember, but I have heard talk of Matrons in charge of wards, those of you that do remember what was the differance between a matron and a sister?, and would the re-introduction of these Matrons help? also why cant they just toughen up the rules,1 hour a day visiting in normal wards, anyone seriously ill or dying could have different rules, but somebody in for a "routine op", 1 hour a day, I know I would be glad of the peace and quiet, introduce wi-fi to the wards and even better, online visit via webcam lol
dazzalam is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..