Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 07:44   #1
Resident Waffler

Petrol Crisis?

"There is no petrol shortage" said a government spokesman this morning.

Well there was certainly one at Tesco in Blackburn last night. We got back from Carnforth (with barely enough to get us home) and popped round to put a drop in the tank only to find signs saying "No Fuel". Thankfully the next place we called at did have some.

What's the general opinion? Is there a shortage? Or is it down to panic buying?

When there looks like being a problem do you go out and fill up your tank if you wouldn't otherwise do so?

My mother used to buy extra bags of sugar whenever there was a threatened sugar shortage but we hardly ever used any of the stuff! They'd sit there in the pantry for ages going rock solid! Why did we have sugar crises in those days anyway?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-09-2005, 08:08   #2

Re: Petrol Crisis?

I don't think there is a fuel shortage Willow. I think people are filling up due to the threat of fuel blockades on wednesday thursday & friday this comming week. We will definately be filling up today as we are planning to travel quite a lot of miles at the weekend & don't want to risk there not being any fuel to do this!
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:20   #3
God Member

As usual, media hyping up thee situation. HAving said that I am happy for them to protest as it makes my journey to work very pleasant. They don't bother with LPG so I can carry on as normal.

Actualy, thinking about it. If I was to fill up all my cars, bikes etc I could stockpile 55 gallons or over £200 worth of fuel. And that is without the 4 or 5 petrol cans I have knocking round the garage, or the lawnmower,
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:38   #4
I am Banned

i dont see the point of another fuel protest becaus ethe last ine acheived absoltely nothing all the govenment did was freeze the price for a while then made more increases than before the protest

i am going to be buying a car soon and have already come to the conlusion that the government has me by the nuts and the only thing i can do is either pay for the petrol or dont drive a car
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:15   #5
God Member

I did fill up earlier than I probably would have done due to what was being said in the press. So yes it prob was the same for many other people.

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:16   #6
Senior Member+

My wife waited 25 minutes to put some petrol in the car.

We have another one that needs some fuel as well - looks like I'll be using the little one for the job this week then...

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:38   #7
God Member

I often have to wait 25milliseconds to get to the LPG pump
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:12   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
I often have to wait 25milliseconds to get to the LPG pump
you should try going when its not so busy
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:16   #9
I am Banned

Makes me thankgod in a way i dont drive but then bus/taxi prices go up to account for it so im got by the short & curlies too.

I take it the margrams gonna be busy again & the queues along Hyndburn road like last time wasting more fuel to fill up.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:24   #10
I am Banned

Jeepers they are all talking about it now - its certainly a mass debate all over the country at the moment!!
Old 12-09-2005, 12:32   #11
Beacon of light

We filled up at Tesco on Saturday, but that was only because we had just driven all the way back from Devon and we needed some juice.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 15:28   #12
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I also saw the news this morning about threatened fuel blockades. I filled up on my way back from Asda, and the garage was quiet. I haven't put anything in the car for a fortnight and it was running on fumes, so I reckoned I would have filled up today anyway..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 16:42   #13
Passed away 25-11-09

I went to the filling station just off the M6 junction near where I live and where I always go. I wasn't panic buying, my fuel gauge was on empty. Usually at 3 p.m. there are 2 or 3 cars there but today there was a queue of cars waiting to get in. I only waited about 5 minutes but there are 15 pumps there.

I asked the woman on the till if it had been the same all day. She said it had been the same since Friday and some people were only able to fit a few litres in their tanks but were still determined to fill up. Crazy or what?
Old 12-09-2005, 17:18   #14
I am Banned

It seems everyone in the uk are having problems with petrol today & poss for next few days, my friend couldn't get into the asda due to queues for pumps, it seems a lot of people are having a major panic on specially fueled by the news...eeekk i stuck a pun in there boom boom lol
Old 12-09-2005, 17:57   #15
God Member

There is panic buying and yes it is a pain for those who need their cars on a daily basis wether for work or to run their day. As for fuel blockades I stay in Grangemouth which has a refinery and if this goes ahead it will be a target. One of the people that benifited last time were the guys that ran the mobile butty shops. They did a roaring trade in bacan and sausage butties and as the protest was peaceful there was no trouble, as it is hoped that should be another one it is.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..