Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 18:37   #16
God Member

Re: Petrol Crisis?

Rising Bridge was packed at tea time, they were queuing back onto teh road.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-09-2005, 18:44   #17
Roy
Administrator

I hope they do have protests over there, and I hope it does some good. Over here it costs me less than 20p a litre, for PETROL! Without a doubt in the UK you are ripped off big style!

I have to say though, I'm looking forward to next year when I buy myself a nice big enviromentally friendly V8 that costs me less to run than an accringtonian with a 1litre ford fiesta And most people see russia as being a backward country???
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 18:47   #18
God Member

I knew nothing about it till my Dad phoned me this morning to check if I've filled my car, so went and filled up straight away, no queues, I remember only too well last time queuing for over an hour for a fivers worth!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 18:51   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
I hope they do have protests over there, and I hope it does some good. Over here it costs me less than 20p a litre, for PETROL! Without a doubt in the UK you are ripped off big style!

I have to say though, I'm looking forward to next year when I buy myself a nice big enviromentally friendly V8 that costs me less to run than an accringtonian with a 1litre ford fiesta And most people see russia as being a backward country???
Quick, get the petrol smuggling rolling!
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 19:13   #20
Junior Member+

Interesting question: has all this 'fuel crisis' business made anybody else think about our reliance on fossil fuel?
AngelaSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 19:17   #21
Roy
Administrator

Quote:
Quick, get the petrol smuggling rolling!
hehe, all we need is a new government and some heavy investment in a pipeine from russia........ The russians have more oil than they know what to do with, but yet opec and co wont let them sell it to the west.. whats that all about.......
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 19:45   #22
God Member

My Dad, who works in the oil industry said that the only reason why there will be a fuel crisis will be because people make one by panic buying.

It's playing straight into the government's arms by panicking like this. Next step will be prices over £1 a litre and we'll all be grateful for it because at least we've managed to find some. Calm down!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 19:56   #23

well what an absolute pain in the rear this has turned out to be!!! my brother asked me to fill the car up...for no other reason than the fact that the red light is nearly on!!! and every petrol station i went to had a massive queue outside it!!! well its not quite on red so ive risked it till the morning..... has the world gone mad???
Old 12-09-2005, 20:07   #24

[QUOTE= I take it the margrams gonna be busy again & the queues along Hyndburn road like last time wasting more fuel to fill up.[/QUOTE]

You're right, just nipped out for some milk and it was bedlam down at the roundabout. Went straight round the roundabout and went to the paper shop on Whalley Road. We filled up yesterday morning, usually do at the weekend but tend to put £20 in but yesterday filled the tank up. That only came to just over £30 so it wasn't that much differance.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 20:15   #25
Junior Member+

I'm just glad i don't need to drive to work - that saves me enough at the current prices. But if I'm stuck in Cannock on sunday cos I can't buy enough petrol to get home this weekend, i will not be happy.
musicwithrocksin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 20:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicwithrocksin
I'm just glad i don't need to drive to work - that saves me enough at the current prices. But if I'm stuck in Cannock on sunday cos I can't buy enough petrol to get home this weekend, i will not be happy.
lol...how about if i go there instead!!! i wouldnt mind being stuck there!!! it'd give me a good excuse to not turn up for work..nice week off!!!
Old 12-09-2005, 20:20   #27

Just read the following on the BBC Lancashire site, it gets me really annoyed how some people can be so pathatic to ring the police up to find out where to buy petrol. The phone lines almost crash, if they had have done genuine callers who actually need them for something serious could not have got through. Oh it makes my blood boil.

Police plea over panic at pumps

There were queues a mile long at one petrol station
Merseyside Police have appealed to the public to stop dialling 999 to find out where to buy petrol and diesel.
The plea came as a wave of panic buying swept the North West in the wake of rumours about a fuel shortage.

A Merseyside Police spokesman said the increased volume of 999 calls had almost caused its phone lines to crash.

Fuel price campaigners plan to start three days of protests on Wednesday. Petrol retailers have urged motorists not to panic buy

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 20:43   #28
Junior Member+

who the heck would even think of calling the police? Man, the human species is a very special breed, ain't it. we happily cause our own panics just to make life harder on ourselves.
musicwithrocksin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 20:53   #29

Filled up at Tesco yesterday afternoon,it was quite busy,probably because it was 90.9p a litre same as Blackburn ASDA but they were only letting people put £5's worth in.
PILKYBUSDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 20:56   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny gem
well what an absolute pain in the rear this has turned out to be!!! my brother asked me to fill the car up...for no other reason than the fact that the red light is nearly on!!! and every petrol station i went to had a massive queue outside it!!! well its not quite on red so ive risked it till the morning..... has the world gone mad???
Just wait till 2am gem, it will be quiet then
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..