Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2005, 00:58   #91

Re: Petrol Crisis?

Looks like you're all due to be paying a pound a litre shortly. That's twice what I pay in oz. There are other places who pay less than that. What I would like to know is what is the weekly old age pension for a couple and what is your weekly average wage. Because at first glance you sure are paying through the nose.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2005, 04:33   #92
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You need to look at more than just that. After all the cost of fuel is due to taxation. You need to compare the whole economy before you can decide if we "are paying through the nose"
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 09:14   #93
Give, give, give member

We have to pay more tax in this country for dog wardens, to make sure the dingos don't pinch out babies.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 07:09   #94

Duh. I never thought of that. (at first glance) was the phrase I used. Perhaps its too incomprehensible. Can anybody answer two simple questions please. What's the average weekly wage . What's your old age pension for a couple. I am aware of your economy. That's been been stuffed for centuries. Or do detect a bit Cricket Patriotism
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 13:59   #95
Senior Member+

I had a conversation about prices of things with my father a few years back.

It seems that although prices have indeed increased (ie you can't go out to the cinema, have a huge meal and bus back and get change for a fiver - well, maybe in Accy, but not T Wells!!!), the actual cost has decreased.

The way we worked this out was how many hours did you have to work to earn enough money for a packet of fags, for example? When we compared, it worked out that he had to work longer than I did at similar ages to buy the same sorts of things.

Does that make sense?

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 14:11   #96
God Member

Makes sense to me but even then the amount in tax taken from car users along with road tax you would think the roads would be the amongst best in the world.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 14:29   #97
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
LPG was very big when I worked in Holland but wasn't there something about being rear ended, something about explosions and fire.
There was an issue in France about 10 years ago. LPG was becoming popular and rougue fitters appeared everywhere fitting some very unsafe kit. There was a fire where a car that was converted by such a dodgy dealer went up taking 3 firemen wit it. This was because it was not fitted with all teh safety equipment that is standard now.

Consider the following situations,

You have a car with (as most are now) a plastic petrol tank. It contains upwards of 10 gallons of highly flammable liqued. Should that PLASTIC tank split it would leave enough petrol lying around that anyone smoking within a massive area would have to be very careful not to take the whole lot up. If it drains into the sewage system there is an untold environmental problem waiting to happen.

Now consider LPG. The tanks are tested to over 100psi. They are so tough you can take a hamer and chisel to one and it will still take you an age to make a hole in it. The tank wil only fill to 80% of total capacity to allow room for expansion and the regulator has a safety release that wil vent the gas slowly in case of emergency(fire etc). Now consider that gas. Should a tank get holed it will disperse into the atmosphere so quickly that in tests after venting over 80litres of LPG they could light matches within 2 minutes.

I know what I would rather be carrying when hit from behind thanks......

The tax on LPG is fixed by an EU directive for another 4 years such that it cannot be increased by more than the increase on Petrol. So I'm safe for now. It will take it an age to become more than a minority. Even then we only use less than 25% of teh LPG extracted during teh extraction of oil. The rest we simply burn off at teh rig as we don't have anywhere to store it.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 15:04   #98
God Member

Ok being rear ended with an LPG tank aint my idea of fun but to the point ofburning the rest off on the rig as we don't have anywhere to store it iam am not quite sure is true. The gas the rigs burn of along with refineries usually contains hydrogen sulphide in high concentrations and has to be burnt for safty reasons. If you can smell it ie rotten eggs its safeish but if you smell it then it burns the smell receptors in your nose then its a wooden crate for you.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 20-09-2005, 19:16   #99
God Member

I'll try and dig out the paper on it. It was from one of the enviromental action groups.
Old 20-09-2005, 19:45   #100
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
I know what I would rather be carrying when hit from behind thanks......
Me too, Diesel.
You can put a fag out in a tub of diesel and it wont burn. Maybe even better is a tank full of straight vegetable oil
Old 20-09-2005, 19:58   #101
God Member

What about the environmental impact of it getting into teh watercourse or teh particulates?

Old 20-09-2005, 20:28   #102
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I was only referring to the accident situation.
Old 20-09-2005, 20:31   #103
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Me too, Diesel.
You can put a fag out in a tub of diesel and it wont burn. Maybe even better is a tank full of straight vegetable oil
Only if the diesel aint been warmed first because if it was you would be fried. (personal exp)

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 20-09-2005, 21:03   #104
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Only if the diesel aint been warmed first because if it was you would be fried. (personal exp)
Can you explain a bit more please?
Old 20-09-2005, 22:20   #105
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Can you explain a bit more please?
Warmed some up as a kid with some mates and it tipped over boy did it burn, it was like a rocket. Some told use it couldnt be lit only if under pressure and we found out the hard way it could when my mate nwas lying on his back after a near miss from a flying drum of burning deseil

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..