Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 21:06   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Petrol Crisis?

i happened to b in bradford today and it was hell...

firstly droev for ages tryna find a station - found one in morrisons and the queues were huge - about 30 mins...

driving back every station had queues there and even now - comin back from blackburn - the station on blackburn rd which is usually empty of customers is pumpin at every pump
Old 13-09-2005, 04:59   #32
pat
Junior Member+

http://www.peakoil.org/

here's a bit of doom and gloom.
pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 06:56   #33
Resident Waffler

Gordon Brown's answer to the possible future oil shortages? - "Persuade the oil producing countries to produce more"

Er Gordon, the don't actually produce the stuff. It's a finite resource.

I'm more than surprised that the govrnment isn't concentrating on looking at alternative energy sources (particularly renewable ones).

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 07:18   #34
God Member

heh, Rising bridge was already queued onto the road at 6:30 this morning(I was a bit late setting off for work)

As for GB, he will ask them to up production because they artificially cap it to maintain the price. He's hoping that the price per barrel will drop to ease his need to drop teh tax.

The UK has the cheapest fuel in Europe. That is untill the Goverment put the tax on then its the second most expensive! As for alternative fuels, Biodiesel is making a very slow entrance. I really can't understand the goverment on this one. They could encourage the farmers to grow crops thus reducing the subsidies we pay them( And don't think that farmers earn that much now. I know a couple and they earn a pittence compared to the number of hours they put in). It would reduce our reliance of fossil fuels and keep the public happy as the gov could control production as opposed to OPEC etc.

Other forms of energy are just not there technologically yet. Solar is getting there but it is still massively inefficient(i.e. you couldn't run a whole house's electrical demands from panels the size of the roof). the only thing in its favour is the sunshine is realtively endless.

Wind power looks good until the NIMBYs start shouting.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 07:28   #35
Resident Waffler

Solar power may not run the whole house but it could contribute towards it. We should probably be thinking in terms of combining things. Even partially reducing fossil fuel consumption would be a start anyway. It won't be there forever.

There's a lot of energy simply wasted, if only we could harness it all in some way and use things in harmony with each other.

Just look at all the hot air on AccyWeb sometimes! lol

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 07:29   #36
Senior Member+

Spain is the place you can fill the tank of an average family car for about £22.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 08:22   #37

our's went over a $ last week and cause it's never been that high before, no one could post the price cause it wouldn't fit in the sign!!!!!
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 09:16   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

went tesco yesterday afternoon-queues were neverending so thought sod it, will have to try again when mood takes me or i'll have to walk loll
Old 13-09-2005, 11:08   #39
God Member

I went to pics in Bury last night EVERY petrol station we passed going and coming back was queued.

I know one petrol station that isn't queued ..... the one at the bottom of Willows Lane, not suprising really though, he's already hiked his prices to 105.9ltr for petrol and 107.9ltr for diesel ............ robbing git!!
Old 13-09-2005, 11:10   #40
I am Banned

He wasn't bombed out last time with the petrol strike either Tinks, i think you would rather do without than go there lol
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 11:39   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
I know one petrol station that isn't queued ..... the one at the bottom of Willows Lane, not suprising really though, he's already hiked his prices to 105.9ltr for petrol and 107.9ltr for diesel ............ robbing git!!
He will not sell his fuel it those prices !!!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 11:41   #42
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
LOL thats good for those travelling willows lane area its bedlam enough without queues for petty station.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 11:57   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Not unless his is the only petrol station in Accrington left with fuel at the pumps and then just imagine how much more he will hike the price !!
Old 13-09-2005, 12:00   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
He wasn't bombed out last time with the petrol strike either Tinks

mmm your right accystanmac and some people have long memories as to why!!
Old 13-09-2005, 13:31   #45
God Member

Personally I would never go there on principle of him profiteering
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..