Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2007, 22:45   #16
God Member

Re: I have changed my mind, the Police really are stupid.

CCTV equipent is now advanced enough to read car registration numbers without the aid of a human. I'm pretty sure that the same amount of effort needed to fine the car owner via cctv would not actually cost more than a police officer of any sort there.

It also would mean police can monitor the crimes that have more public interest rather than doing the job of traffic wardens.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-11-2007, 22:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats the problem, they aint got the manpower, but plenty of cheap clowns to send.
I know what you mean but I'm not sure if PCSO's actually get paid, I think they volunteer but stand to be corrected. They just get all the poop jobs, some are most likely bright folk wondering why their initiative gets stiffled by the boss. It would pig me right off if i volunteered my time to help out but you cant do this you cant do that......is there not a thread about this concerning PCSO's that did not go into some lake in the summer to save a drowning child ?

What we need are more fully trained officers on duty who are able to make decisions with the full weight of the law behind them " plastic police officers" as flashy called them just are not doing what is required, through no fault of their own. Tis only me opinion tho
Old 14-11-2007, 23:07   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Or even better park an unmarked camera car outside school's
Old 14-11-2007, 23:22   #19

Noooo Neil, those guys have their place, I would like to see the old “beat” bobby. He has his patch and bloody rules it, either by fear or respect. Get the old police boxes back up, we all don’t have phones neither mobile nor landline, at least the old police boxes where I come from always had an operational phone for emergencies. If the bobby was out on his rounds the phone was always there. Maybe my specs have gone a bit rosy I don’t know…sure someone will say if they have.
Old 15-11-2007, 00:04   #20
God Member

Im not a big fan of pcso s personally its just a cheap cutback for the policeforce . We have had incidents over here and personally all they do is try and reassure . which never works .
Good God . people have lost respect for the police these days so what chance do the pcso s stand. waste of resources imo.
We need more bobbies on the beat and more descretion when an apparent problem looms . as in neils case.
Too busy attacking motorists for smoking rather than saving kids lives . they will hide away to catch a motorist speeding , smoking, using a mobile so why not do the same outside a school where the dangers are clearly obvious because its been reported . jesus its been handed to them on a plate. and now they dont want to cause bad feeling .
something is badly wrong!!!
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 00:28   #21
Give, give, give member

Perhaps plod was scattering nails about in the road, to make sure all those lazy parents come on foot tomorrow.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 08:25   #22
Senior Member+

did any one know that it is possible to get your name and address off a statement you have made to the police? i reported a shoplifter and gave a statement and he came round to my house!! i also gave a statement about an alleged rape and the guy (who didnt know me) sent me letters from prison!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 10:46   #23
God Member

I think the PCSO's are good, and just because they dont get paid doesnt mean that they dont do quite a good job. However, I just dont think that they, or the proper police should be acting as traffic wardens outside schools, its just not good use of the service.

If people just walked/cycled or took the bus to schools then there would be much less of an issue, but people insist on using huge 4x4's to do the school run. Also car sharing is a good idea if the walking or bus thing isnt possible.
A school just down the road from me has a bicycle route, and there are several adults on bikes and they ride around the route to collect the pupils and then ride to the school. I think its a really good idea and it would cut down the number of cars being used, and so less people would be parking illegally.
Old 15-11-2007, 10:53   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I think the PCSO's are good, and just because they dont get paid doesnt mean that they dont do quite a good job. However, I just dont think that they, or the proper police should be acting as traffic wardens outside schools, its just not good use of the service.

If people just walked/cycled or took the bus to schools then there would be much less of an issue, but people insist on using huge 4x4's to do the school run. Also car sharing is a good idea if the walking or bus thing isnt possible.
A school just down the road from me has a bicycle route, and there are several adults on bikes and they ride around the route to collect the pupils and then ride to the school. I think its a really good idea and it would cut down the number of cars being used, and so less people would be parking illegally.
Adults on bikes collecting the children
This sounds as though they are stacking/transporting them on the bike's crossbar. Please explain

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 10:54   #25
God Member

Quote:
but people insist on using huge 4x4's to do the school run.

I do the school run every morning and don't recall seeing a 4x4. Still if the media says thats what they are then it must be true.
Old 15-11-2007, 11:01   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Adults on bikes collecting the children
This sounds as though they are stacking/transporting them on the bike's crossbar. Please explain
Adults on bike ride along the designated route, and the children on their own bikes ride in between all the adults (about 3 at least, 1 for each side: back, front and at the side thats next to traffic)

One of lancaster 3 c's is cycling though, think the others are countryside and city, though dont quote me on it.

Also I see quite a few land rovers, which is what I deem a 4x4, with women drivers taking children to school, it wasnt a media quote, it was my own viewing. My sisters friends mum does a school run for the local kids in one, though there are the odd few others parking outside the school at collection times.

Seen as I've mentioned my sister I wont say what school that is, but its a school that has traffic issues outside it at the end of the day in particular.
Old 15-11-2007, 11:05   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I do the school run every morning and don't recall seeing a 4x4. Still if the media says thats what they are then it must be true.
It depends which school your children attend. Different schools have different levels of problems with traffic. For example, the one right up top of stanhill (st oswalds?) doesnt seem to have as bad traffic issues as, for example, the one in ossy that I think, not sure, is on aspen lane? I'm not familiar with the road names up that way but some people might know which one i mean, very narrow street on a hill with semi detached houses on either side. I'm pretty sure its at least NEAR aspen lane, and its hectic when i've been past there when schools ending.
Old 15-11-2007, 11:09   #28
God Member

Quote:
It depends which school your children attend. Different schools have different levels of problems with traffic. For example, the one right up top of stanhill (st oswalds?) doesnt seem to have as bad traffic issues as, for example, the one in ossy that I think, not sure, is on aspen lane? I'm not familiar with the road names up that way but some people might know which one i mean, very narrow street on a hill with semi detached houses on either side. I'm pretty sure its at least NEAR aspen lane, and its hectic when i've been past there when schools ending.

Doesn't matter which school is where or what car people drive, parking illegally outside a school is ignorance and the authorities be they police, pcso's or traffic wardens should do something about it. I have done a school run for 7 years and manage to park legally and it pees me right off that I can be bothered walking a few extra yards to do so, yet the ones who break the law are allowed to get off scott free.
Old 15-11-2007, 20:02   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Doesn't matter which school is where or what car people drive, parking illegally outside a school is ignorance and the authorities be they police, pcso's or traffic wardens should do something about it. I have done a school run for 7 years and manage to park legally and it pees me right off that I can be bothered walking a few extra yards to do so, yet the ones who break the law are allowed to get off scott free.
I said the amount of traffic differs, not how acceptable it is to park on the lines. I think you're not reading what I said properly. I said that if people used environmentally friendly means of getting to school, and there are very little reason why they cant, then there wouldnt even be a problem.

There are buses, walking schemes and bike riding schemes, so cars arent even needed. I walked to school everyday, even when I lived up new lane and had to go to mount carmel. No need for all the cars causing congestion outside schools.
Old 15-11-2007, 20:05   #30
Senior Member+

my lad goes to st annes and st josephs and the parking there is terrible!! your nearly parking down at the college!! might as well walk.....but i dont fancy riding a bike up that hill..

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..