Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 08:29   #316
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Internationalist approach at H.B.C.

Must be only one side commited atrocities then? plus none of the opposition must live around here? so therefore No votes to be won.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:35   #317
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Must be only one side commited atrocities then? plus none of the opposition must live around here? so therefore No votes to be won.
Your not saying the local Asian community are biased are you cashy
Old 12-01-2012, 08:36   #318
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Your not saying the local Asian community are biased are you cashy
No am saying the council are dense.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:19   #319
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
We finally have the minute of the motion passed by Council on 10th November:

" .........The Council therefore resolves to write to the Foreign Office Minister to bring his attention to this issue."

I have it on good authority that the letter went straight to the recycle bin.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:38   #320
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Ya but not before the usual standard thankyou for contacting us letter
Old 12-01-2012, 10:54   #321
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Oh good,nowt changes then.
Old 12-01-2012, 13:00   #322
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Well, it doesn't seem ok to me. HBC should be concentrating their priorities on sorting problems out in Hyndburn, NOT in Kashmir.
Although I don't see anything wrong with expressing opposition to documented atrocities, I don't think it is the job of a local government to do so ... not officially anyway. S'ok if the national govt. does it. After all, foreign affairs is one of its jobs. Also, I would think that the Foreign Office is well aware of what is going on, and does not need a local council to bring it to its attention. I believe that what most folks in Hyndburn want from local government, is what Kingstonians want from theirs: well-maintained streets, garbage pick up, fire and ambulance service, policing, etc. We are having freezing rain at the moment, and the sanders (gritters?) are out in force ... that's the kinda thing we want to see, eh.

Something else I found troubling: "a group resident in the borough from an overseas territory". Are these folks brits, or are they just hanging out over there?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 18:06   #323
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Although I don't see anything wrong with expressing opposition to documented atrocities, I don't think it is the job of a local government to do so ... not officially anyway. S'ok if the national govt. does it. After all, foreign affairs is one of its jobs. Also, I would think that the Foreign Office is well aware of what is going on, and does not need a local council to bring it to its attention. I believe that what most folks in Hyndburn want from local government, is what Kingstonians want from theirs: well-maintained streets, garbage pick up, fire and ambulance service, policing, etc. We are having freezing rain at the moment, and the sanders (gritters?) are out in force ... that's the kinda thing we want to see, eh.

Something else I found troubling: "a group resident in the borough from an overseas territory". Are these folks brits, or are they just hanging out over there?
We have the "Asian Community" Eric, which is fine by me, but if they want to carp on about whats happening in their country of birth, do it over there, and I can't for the life in me think why HBC should get involved and lets face it its not a party thing its all the numpties together
Old 13-01-2012, 00:11   #324
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Seems ok to me. The Council has a responsibility to serve its residents, and if there is a group resident in the borough from an overseas territory who bring to the attention of the Council an apparent injustice, the Council has a right to bring that to the attention of the relevant Government Department, in this case the Foreign Office.

Which is precisely what the Council has done. Well done HBC.

Its just a shame that what I have just written could have been said two months ago by a Council representative on this website, to avoid the speculation that ensued.[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
I still think it was something that our MP should have dealt with not our Local Council.
Old 13-01-2012, 11:17   #325
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
We have the "Asian Community" Eric, which is fine by me, but if they want to carp on about whats happening in their country of birth, do it over there, and I can't for the life in me think why HBC should get involved and lets face it its not a party thing its all the numpties together

perhaps if those here who have a problem with what is happening over there should either go back and fight to sort it out or stay put and shut up rather than bother local council with matters they are totally powerless to do anything about

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 18:23   #326
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
perhaps if those here who have a problem with what is happening over there should either go back and fight to sort it out or stay put and shut up rather than bother local council with matters they are totally powerless to do anything about
I think the reason the council got involved is because of the Asian councillors, but they are on the council to represent the people living here not back in Pakistan
Old 14-01-2012, 17:30   #327
Give, give, give member

Quote:
We finally have the minute of the motion passed by Council on 10th November:

"That this Council supports the Kashmiri community here in Hyndburn and the peoples of Jammu and Kashmir to bring about genuine initiatives aimed at ending the violence and suffering and in favour of a just and lasting peace settlement; that the British government should not itself prescribe any one
solution to the problem of Kashmir and that it resolutely opposes all forms of terrorism and violence, including the use of abduction, torture, murder and rape as instruments in any political cause and calls on all sides in this dispute tocondemn such incidents and to observe in full, international standards of human rights and the right of the people of Jammu and Kashmir to determine their own future in a free, fair and transparent manner. The Council welcomes the helpful dialogue between the Hyndburn MP, Graham Jones, and those seeking the right to Kashmiri self-determination. The Council therefore resolves to write to the Foreign Office Minister to bring his attention to this issue."

Seems ok to me. The Council has a responsibility to serve its residents, and if there is a group resident in the borough from an overseas territory who bring to the attention of the Council an apparent injustice, the Council has a right to bring that to the attention of the relevant Government Department, in this case the Foreign Office.

Which is precisely what the Council has done. Well done HBC.

Its just a shame that what I have just written could have been said two months ago by a Council representative on this website, to avoid the speculation that ensued.

Call me a cynic, but the time it took for the minutes of this meeting to be made public, versus the wording of the original motion, on the H.B.C. website, has more than a whiff of a stink to it.

According to the official agenda, this was the actual wording of the motion, put forward by Cllr. Allah Dad...

'That this Council supports the Kashmir community here in Hyndburn in condemning the atrocities committed and acts of barbaric violence by Indian Forces in Indian occupied Kashmir which has resulted in women been gang raped, children lined up and shot dead in front of their parents, people been torched and set on fire in their jail cells. Over one hundred thousand people have been killed since 1989 and very recently Amnesty International has found a number of mass graves in Kashmir. All this is because the people of Kashmir want their right of self determination, the right which was recognised by the United Nations in 1948.'

Guess I'll just remain a cynic. Believing that skullduggery happened before the minutes were finally published, so the wording wasn't so grossly partisan, and inflammatory, after it was pointed out on here just how stupid they'd been, being used as pawns in a propaganda war.

Guess it's too much to hope for, that an Accy Web member who was actually at this meeting, would confirm, or deny what the wording of this motion was, which the council voted to support?

Either way, what they did is being used as propaganda, by one side in this conflict.

Just Google 'Hyndburn Kashmir', to see a great deal of evidence which proves this.

Local councils should be dealing with local, rather than international problems, of which we already have an abundance, here in Hyndburn.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 22:06   #328
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Call me a cynic, but the time it took for the minutes of this meeting to be made public, versus the wording of the original motion, on the H.B.C. website, has more than a whiff of a stink to it.
They can't write what they want in the minutes, it has to be an accurate representation of the meeting. I hope this error is questioned buy Councillors at the next meeting when they will be asked if the previous minutes are an accurate record of the previous meeting.

Maybe this is a matter for overview and scrutiny.
I can see a problem with that idea though already.
Old 14-01-2012, 22:14   #329
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
They can't write what they want in the minutes, it has to be an accurate representation of the meeting. I hope this error is questioned buy Councillors at the next meeting when they will be asked if the previous minutes are an accurate record of the previous meeting.

Maybe this is a matter for overview and scrutiny.
I can see a problem with that idea though already.
Oh I agree, minutes 'should' be an accurate record of proceedings.

The cynic in me wonders if they are, in this case.

I curse that night, when I wasn't well enough to be there as planned, because then I'd know.

Plus, unlike others, who were there, I'd be happy to share the information.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 22:17   #330
Senior Member+

Cynical about HBC and their methods and ways in sensitive and emotive subjects how could you G , i would say they are always as straight as a die.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..