Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-11-2011, 23:13   #166
Give, give, give member

Re: Internationalist approach at H.B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Yeah...but it's the Telegraph bit. A pity their reporter did not pick up on the story of the council launching it's foreign policy initiative.
What I don't understand is that an Observer reporter was sat there, Tweeting the proceedings, and missed the significance of what they were doing.

Whoosh.

If I'd have been fit, and had been at this meeting as planned, after being invited, perhaps me taking my shoes off to throw at them, and shouting abuse, might have alerted him to the fact there was quite a newsworthy, and important story here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Can't find the minutes online...just yet.

Just the Observer's Twitter feed.

StuartPike78:
Motion from #HBC Coun Allah Dad on atrocities in Kashmir. [via Twitter]
9:01
StuartPike78:
#HBC Cllr Britcliffe says proud to support integrity of Kashmir. [via Twitter]

9:02
StuartPike78:
#HBC Coun Nick Collingridge says motion not balanced and need someone from Indian community to speak for them. [via Twitter]

9:04
StuartPike78:
#HBC Cllr M Dad proposes amendment supporting self determination and the people of Kashmir in Hyndburn. [via Twitter]

9:05
StuartPike78:
#HBC Everyone getting very hot under the collar about motions and amendments. [via Twitter]

9:10
StuartPike78:
#HBC amendment passed. [via Twitter]

Replay: Hyndburn council meeting | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-11-2011, 23:19   #167
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well wi the weight Britcliffe carries among his minions,can understand the tories voting fer it, as hes proud to support it. cannot understand labour supporting this n then not having the strength of conviction to comment on this matter, i find that very spineless.
Old 18-11-2011, 23:25   #168
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well wi the weight Britcliffe carries among his minions,can understand the tories voting fer it, as hes proud to support it. cannot understand labour supporting this n then not having the strength of conviction to comment on this matter, i find that very spineless.
I'm just itching to get my hands on the minutes of the meeting, so we can see who voted for this very one sided resolution.

Old 19-11-2011, 03:29   #169
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
seems a common trait in local and national politics

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 06:46   #170
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'm just itching to get my hands on the minutes of the meeting, so we can see who voted for this very one sided resolution.
I'm afraid the minutes won't show how each named councillor voted, unless it was a "recorded" vote which is only taken in exceptional circumstances, or if individual councillors requested that their vote be minuted against the motion.

The twitter reports make no reference to either of the above happening at the meeting, so it is likely the minutes will just blandly report the resolution.

It is for individual councillors to come on here and tell us how and why they and/or their colleagues voted. Otherwise they will have the cloak of anonymity around them.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 06:53   #171
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I'm afraid the minutes won't show how each named councillor voted, unless it was a "recorded" vote which is only taken in exceptional circumstances, or if individual councillors requested that their vote be minuted against the motion.

The twitter reports make no reference to either of the above happening at the meeting, so it is likely the minutes will just blandly report the resolution.

It is for individual councillors to come on here and tell us how and why they and/or their colleagues voted. Otherwise they will have the cloak of anonymity around them.
Ah thanks.

Would who voted for this resolution have been recorded though?

So the information could be aquired under a F.O.I. request?

Old 19-11-2011, 07:47   #172
Senior Member+

Quote:
Ah thanks.

Would who voted for this resolution have been recorded though?

So the information could be aquired under a F.O.I. request?
Unfortunately not. If he/she sees more hands go up for the motion than against, the mayor declares the motion carried and moves on to the next item.

Which in this case was dog fouling. Appropriate? You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment.
Old 19-11-2011, 08:43   #173
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yeah...but it's the Telegraph bit. A pity their reporter did not pick up on the story of the council launching it's foreign policy initiative.
Do ya think that HBC didn't want us plebs to know about them giving support, on our behalf, for the Kashmiri question, think they should have had a referendum on the issue, but on second thoughts better not to go there
Old 19-11-2011, 08:44   #174
Resting in Peace

Quote:
What I don't understand is that an Observer reporter was sat there, Tweeting the proceedings, and missed the significance of what they were doing.

Whoosh.

If I'd have been fit, and had been at this meeting as planned, after being invited, perhaps me taking my shoes off to throw at them, and shouting abuse, might have alerted him to the fact there was quite a newsworthy, and important story here.
Sounds like hes at twit to me
Old 19-11-2011, 08:49   #175
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Ya if I remember rightly gynn the vote is only recorded if a number of councillors, is it three?? stand in support of the proposer, other wise it just say was pasted by either a unanimous or majority decision, in the case of a majority I don't think it even states the vote for and against although I could be wrong on that point
Old 19-11-2011, 09:27   #176
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
in the case of a majority I don't think it even states the vote for and against although I could be wrong on that point
Spot on, jaysay. The minutes will just say the motion was agreed.
Old 19-11-2011, 11:42   #177
God Member

According to the agenda for the council meeting held on November 10th, the Kashmir motion was one of four submitted under council procedure rule A9. The details of procedure A9 can be found here:

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...e_Rules_2_.pdf

For those of you who do not wish to read through it all, A9.2 reads as follows:

Scope:

Motions must be about matters for which the Council has a responsibility or which affect
Hyndburn.

That is it. There is nothing further.

My question is how this motion passed can in any way whatsoever relate to council responsibility or affecting Hyndburn. The simple answer is it does not on either count. It seems to me therefore, that the council in passing this resolution have not only exceeded their remit, made the borough a laughing stock, wasted council tax payers money and resources but have in fact acted unconstitutionally in doing so. Arguably, the motion cannot stand; any attempt to reiterate its legality can now only be met by referral to a higher authority, such as the local government ombudsman.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 13:48   #178
Resting in Peace

Quote:
According to the agenda for the council meeting held on November 10th, the Kashmir motion was one of four submitted under council procedure rule A9. The details of procedure A9 can be found here:

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...e_Rules_2_.pdf

For those of you who do not wish to read through it all, A9.2 reads as follows:

Scope:

Motions must be about matters for which the Council has a responsibility or which affect
Hyndburn.

My question is how this motion passed can in any way whatsoever relate to council responsibility or affecting Hyndburn. The simple answer is it does not on either count. It seems to me therefore, that the council in passing this resolution have not only exceeded their remit, made the borough a laughing stock, wasted council tax payers money and resources but have in fact acted unconstitutionally in doing so. Arguably, the motion cannot stand; any attempt to reiterate its legality can now only be met by referral to a higher authority, such as the local government ombudsman.
Wonder if it would be worth it to refer it to the ombudsman to see what happens and whether it is illegal
Old 20-11-2011, 06:27   #179
Senior Member+

Quote:
Scope:

Hyndburn.

The Local Government Ombudsman considers complaints against the Council "that have caused injustice to the complainant" and only becomes involves as a last resort when the Council's own procedures have been exhausted.

The Council has a procedure in place that should be used to review the resolution on Kashmir - the Overview and Scrutiny Committee. This seems a perfect case for O and S to review if it is felt the Council passed a resolution without being in full possession of the facts, or acted outside its terms of reference.

We are lucky to have the Chairman of one of the Overview and Scrutiny Committees as a regular contributor to this forum.

What is your view, Ken?

Last edited by gynn; 20-11-2011 at 06:30.
Old 20-11-2011, 07:23   #180
God Member

Quote:
What is your view, Ken?
I don't think we'll hear 'owt from Ken, Gynn. He's done a runner from this forum, as have all the elected politico's who previously posted on here. Now they're in office, they simply can't stand the heat.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..