Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2011, 17:54   #136
Resting in Peace

Re: Internationalist approach at H.B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
An interesting read.

AFSPA revocation: Where angels fear to tread : Gaurav C. Sawant - Headlines Today Blogs

Proving there are always two sides to every story.

Everywhere except in our council chambers here in Hyndburn, it would appear.
Ya would appear
Old 18-11-2011, 11:54   #137
God Member

The O/L edition of today's Accy Observer has not mentioned this story. Is it by any chance in the hard copy?

If not, then all I can say is what a pathetic little rag it is.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 12:12   #138
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
The O/L edition of today's Accy Observer has not mentioned this story. Is it by any chance in the hard copy?

No, it isn't.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 12:19   #139
Beacon of light

I was just going to say that G....I have scrutinised the paper from cover to cover and can find no mention of it....though my lamps aren't as bright as they used to be...so I am glad of your confirmation of its absence.

Strange that isn't it...normally such stuff is trumpeted from the roof tops...maybe they are all reading Accyweb and reddening with embarrassment at their naivety.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 12:28   #140
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I was just going to say that G....I have scrutinised the paper from cover to cover and can find no mention of it....though my lamps aren't as bright as they used to be...so I am glad of your confirmation of its absence.

Strange that isn't it...normally such stuff is trumpeted from the roof tops...maybe they are all reading Accyweb and reddening with embarrassment at their naivety.
There's been some interest from Baba.

A journalist, in Delhi.

Old 18-11-2011, 12:33   #141
Give, give, give member

Still waiting for the minutes of last Thursday's full council meeting to be made available, so we can see which of our councillors voted to pass this resolution.

I thought someone in the know might have popped on, and posted the information.

Old 18-11-2011, 12:39   #142
God Member

Quote:
There's been some interest from Baba.

A journalist, in Delhi.

Rum 'n that Baba fellow...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 13:01   #143
Give, give, give member

'That this Council supports the Kashmir community here in Hyndburn in condemning the atrocities committed and acts of barbaric violence by Indian Forces in Indian occupied Kashmir which has resulted in women been gang raped, children lined up and shot dead in front of their parents, people been torched and set on fire in their jail cells.'
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...to_Council.pdf

'The Union Home Ministry has already received reports on several black deeds, inhuman activities and human violations committed by terrorists in Kashmir in the name of Islamic Jehad. The Vice-President of BJP, Mr. Krishan Lal Sharma, President of J&K unit of BJP, Prof. Chaman Lal Gupta and Mr. Vijay Kumar Malhotra, former Chief Executive Councillor, have demanded that the Government should place on the table of Parliament the report, prepared recently by Union Home Ministry, on the victims of terrorism in Jammu and Kashmir so that the world came to know about the inhuman and black deeds of Pakistan and her agencies in Kashmir. This report carries details, submitted by the intelligence agencies and the police which confirm reports of direct involvement of Pakistan in sending foreign mercenaries and terrorists to Kashmir not only for loot and guerrilla warfare but also for mercilessly defiling the prestige and honour of the nationalist families.'

'Mr. Dinesh Sharma, a journalist, has in his report, given a startling information. According to him activists of all small and big militant outfits, whose number is around 150, have raped girls and some of them have been tortured with weapons and with hot iron rods. This is a slap on the face of those human rightists who cry loud in the international political circles while accusing the security forces for human rights violations. It is worth maintaining here that while the Union Minister of State for Internal Security, Mr. Rajesh Pilot, who keeps on paying frequent visits to the valley, claims improvement in the situation in Kashmir, on the other hand the reports being received by his Ministry reveal that Kashmir is gradually becoming a hell.
'
CONVERTED KASHMIR: Memorial of Mistakes

Two sides to every story.

Except in Hyndburn's council chambers, apparently.

Where they, on our behalf, have voted to officially support one side in this conflict.

Despite there being evidence of human rights abuses, and vile attrocities being carried out by all those factions involved.

Disgraceful!

Last edited by garinda; 18-11-2011 at 13:06.
Old 18-11-2011, 14:01   #144
Give, give, give member

Anyone with any common sense at all, learns this lesson as a child.

'Why did you do it?'

'He's my friend, and he's got a gang, and he told me to do it.'

'...and If he told you to jump in the canal, would you do it?'

Last edited by garinda; 18-11-2011 at 14:03.
Old 18-11-2011, 14:12   #145
God Member

Having read some of the stuff on here, which of our councillors will be big enough to propose a motion at the next council meeting to reverse the motion passed at the last council meeting, in light of the information now known.

Could be a big brownie point scorer
Old 18-11-2011, 14:41   #146
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Having read some of the stuff on here, which of our councillors will be big enough to propose a motion at the next council meeting to reverse the motion passed at the last council meeting, in light of the information now known.

'Human Rights Watch has previously reported that torture is routinely used in Pakistan, and that acts of torture by military agencies primarily serve the purpose of "punishing" errant politicians, political activists and journalists. Azad Kashmir is no exception. Though torture is not commonplace, it is threatened often, and-when perpetrated by the military-is carried out with impunity. Human Rights Watch knows of no cases in which members of military and paramilitary security and intelligence agencies have been prosecuted or even disciplined for acts of torture or mistreatment. This report documents incidents of torture by the ISI, and by Azad Kashmir police acting at the ISI's and the army's behest.'
?With Friends Like These?? | Human Rights Watch

Oh I'm sure they will Lancsdave.

Fair's fair.

After all H.B.C. do say...

'At Hyndburn Borough Council, we are committed to ensuring all individuals and groups are treated with respect and valued equally.'

Equality and diversity

Which presumably applies thousands of miles away too.

Not just in the borough.

Now that our council's devoting it's time to playing it's part on the international world stage.

Old 18-11-2011, 14:55   #147
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
'Human Rights Watch has previously reported that torture is routinely used in Pakistan, and that acts of torture by military agencies primarily serve the purpose of "punishing" errant politicians, political activists and journalists. Azad Kashmir is no exception. Though torture is not commonplace, it is threatened often, and-when perpetrated by the military-is carried out with impunity. Human Rights Watch knows of no cases in which members of military and paramilitary security and intelligence agencies have been prosecuted or even disciplined for acts of torture or mistreatment. This report documents incidents of torture by the ISI, and by Azad Kashmir police acting at the ISI's and the army's behest.'
?With Friends Like These?? | Human Rights Watch

Oh I'm sure they will Lancsdave.

Fair's fair.

After all H.B.C. do say...

'At Hyndburn Borough Council, we are committed to ensuring all individuals and groups are treated with respect and valued equally.'

Equality and diversity

Which presumably applies thousands of miles away too.

Not just in the borough.

Now that our council's devoting it's time to playing it's part on the international world stage.

Quite right,but oer the years i have learnt wi those who drop a big un= "Ignore it,n hope it goes away" thats a more likely outcome if the absence of comment on here is owt to go off.
Old 18-11-2011, 14:56   #148
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post

You mean which 12 of our 35 Councillors.

Extract from the Council's Constitution:

A15. PREVIOUS DECISIONS AND MOTIONS

Motion to rescind a previous decision

A motion to rescind a decision made at a meeting of Council within the past six months cannot be moved unless the notice of motion is signed by at least one third of all members.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 14:56   #149
God Member

Quote:
'That this Council supports the Kashmir community here in Hyndburn in condemning the atrocities committed and acts of barbaric violence by Indian Forces in Indian occupied Kashmir which has resulted in women been gang raped, children lined up and shot dead in front of their parents, people been torched and set on fire in their jail cells.'
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...to_Council.pdf
I have read a good deal of cloth-eared, ranting sh1te in my time, I have written quite a bit of it too, but the above takes the bluddy biscuit.

Leaving aside for a moment the controversial nature of the Motion. What has happened to the standards of the English Language when documents presented to an English council for their consideration cannot even be written without grammatical errors and spelling mistakes? Which bluddy numpty wrote the above drivel? And, more to the point, which brain dead functionary typed it?

Is it surprising that HBC is a world leader in getting absolutley everything arse-upwards when they have such a perfunctory grasp of their own language?

As to the content of the motion and the action taken by councilors in passing it one phrase springs most readily to mind...

MORAL COWARDICE

Too fearful of criticism from the rabidly separatist muslim minority they knuckled under and gave their support and imprimatur to a group of people who have no respect for the rule of law or the human rights of anyone who dares to oppose them.

Well I hope that you are pleased and proud of yourselves councillors. Because you will now bear part of the responsibility for all future terrorist outrages in Kashmir and the Indian sub-continent. I hope that you can live with that on your consciences.

Bluddy amateurs the lot of you, you make me sick!
Old 18-11-2011, 15:11   #150
Give, give, give member

Will anyone, more savvy than myself, please tell me how to obtain the minutes from last week's full meeting of the council? (10-11-2011)

Which will hopefully list which councillors voted to pass this resolution.

I'm sure there must be away to obtain this information, without wasting anyone's time, asking for it under the Freedom of Information Act.

All I can get access to is last Thursday's agenda.

Thank you.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..