Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2006, 23:26   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Iresponsible Parents

I have a ten year old Jack Russell who has been with me since he was a few weeks old. He was used to running around with the grandchildren as a puppy but since we have been in Spain he rarely sees any kiddies.

Five year old Charlotte turns up on Thursday's now and Top is locked up in the bedroom. I don't think he would hurt her but who is to know? He doesn't like it much but at least I can take Charlotte home in one piece.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-09-2006, 23:39   #32
God Member

We had a dog many years ago a black labrador. We had him from a puppy we all clubbed together and bought him for my dad. He was my dads dog first and foremost then my nieces dog. She could do anything with him she used to say to him get in your cage sultan and he'd go under a chair we had and she'd lift the seat up he'd poke his head thro and she'd drop the seat of it on his head. He'd do it everytime without fail. Thing is tho my mum used to look after my niece during the school hols and mum could leave her playing in the back garden with the dog and she knew she was safe because the dog would not let anyone else in the garden if she was there. Not even any other kids. We had to shut him in the house if any other kids came to play with her or if it was raining and they came into the house he was shut outside. We had him for about 9 years and in that time he bit once - that was my bro in law. He got drunk and came back to our house and was teasing the dog - he ignored him for ages but he went to far and bit him. So bro in law bit him back and dog turned tail and ran out the back door. That was my bro in laws fault and we tried to stop him but he knew better - well he learnt a lesson. They both did - bro in law not to tease the dog and the dog not to bite bro in law again.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 23:41   #33
God Member

Sorry absolutly jumped threads here because basicaly I can't be arsed reading them all ( hey honesty never killed anyone)

But...............

I read about this and, sorry who in there right mind would EVER EVER put there safety infront of there childrens??

OK so their pub might get broken into!!!! so bloody what.....better than losing your baby.

Some dogs are " family dogs " but NO dog is to ever be trusted 100 percent.

My dog is as soft as muck!!!! she is 12 years old and has been around long before my kids............they feel comfortable with her..... but whose to say she won't snap one day, when she is fed up with them lying all over her??

Once a dog shows fiercness.....decide....kids or dog??

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 23:42   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

to me theres not much differance between dogs and kids its how they are brought up.we have a great pooch who dont attack even cats just wants to play with everything he sees, he might lick you to death but thats all. bottom line is would i leave a baby alone with him NO WAY. cos like kids unsupervised they can be little buggars.
Old 25-09-2006, 23:43   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
to me theres not much differance between dogs and kids its how they are brought up.we have a great pooch who dont attack even cats just wants to play with everything he sees, he might lick you to death but thats all. bottom line is would i leave a baby alone with him NO WAY. cos like kids unsupervised they can be little buggars.
Well put cashy!!!! my dog is actually scared of my cat..............but as you say.....

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 07:16   #36
Senior Member+

Anyone remember back to the 70`s?Summat sticks in my mind about ferrets.Was there not a baby attacked and killed and half eaten by a pair of ferrets?
When it all boils down to it pets that have an hunting instinct should never be left alone with young children.As it has been said young children can be buggers and if a kid is poking something in a dogs eye and well behaved and good tempered animal is going to turn.
Babies should not be left unattended anyway.When my 2 were babies they were never left unattended here was always someone in the room, even when they were havinga nap.
Old 26-09-2006, 14:08   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydia
dogs are just like computers they only do what they are told

Totally have to disagree with you, dogs are not like computers, yes a well trained dog will obey commands as a computer does but that is were the similarity ends. A dog is born with animal instinct and no matter how much training is given to that dog it can never be removed, as with any other animal.

Quote:
it is the responsability of the owners every time and they should be charged

Totally agree, it is the responsibility of the owner and they should be held accountable if the dog attacks anyone.

Quote:
it is not the dogs fault if your dog is "uncomfortable"around young children it's your training at fault not the dog if he had been introduced to small children at a young age you would have no qualms of leaving him with younger kids

I got my Ben as an owd lad, he was 11 when I got him, he’s now 14 years old so his basic training as a pup and in his influential years was not my doing. He’s a good lad he’s just uncomfortable around babies. I say uncomfortable because when they cry, he cries, it distresses him. Would he ever attack a baby? I don’t know BUT I do know one thing I would never put him in that position were I found out. As a responsible owner it is my job to keep any visitors babies safe and that is what I do, by putting him outside in the garden to enjoy the fresh air. Why at 14 years of age should I put him through the trauma of having to be trained around small babies? I have no intention of having any more kids, he’s my baby and this is his home.

Quote:
I am not having a go at you personally just sick of people jumpuing on the band wagon to get rid of dangerous dogs

I didn’t think you were having a go at me and I’m not having at go and you when I say people need educating on dogs. It’s the nature of the attack when so called ‘dangerous dogs’ attack. Every day there are numerous people bitten by dogs but the dogs a person may regard as better pets (Yorky Terriers, Poodles, Jack Russels etc.) are just snappy little sods, they might draw blood when they bite but it’s more often than not just a nip. The dogs that get the bad press (Rotty’s, Bull Terriers etc.) when they attack they usually end up making a mess of their victim. Rottys maul, Staffys lock on to their prey. I think (but don’t quote me) it’s something to do with the bone structure around their jaws depends how severe the attack would be.

Quote:
have a grandson who is 7 months old and have no fear of leaving him in a room with any of the 5 dogs I now own jack russell x2 stafford x2 doberman x1

I wonder if the grandfather thought the same about his 5 month old grandchild and his 2 Rottys? I bet he did you know.

As a nation of animal lovers, we have dogs living in our homes as pets, we love them to bits, trust them whole heartedly and would never think they could harm anyone but a responsible dog owner never loses sight of the fact that one day that dogs animal instinct could kick in with our beloved pet with tragic consequences.
Old 26-09-2006, 16:43   #38
Passed away 25-11-09

A dog is a pack animal. However much you love and trust a dog you should never lose sight of that fact.

I've had dogs all my life and I always trained them, from puppyhood, to be obedient and even-tempered. All my dogs were cat-friendly and people-friendly (apart from one who hated postmen). They knew their place in the family/pack pecking order and it was at the bottom, even though they were loved to bits.

A well-trained dog is a joy to have around and a great companion but too many people treat their animals as if they were people. They may often behave as though they are "human" but a dog is a dog and it's often a far happier dog for that fact being recognised. We don't know anything about the dogs in this case, how they were regarded and treated in the family etc., but there were 2 of them and it's pretty obvious the pack instinct kicked in when this dreadful tragedy happened. It's always there somewhere under the surface.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..