Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2006, 10:20   #1
God Member

Iresponsible Parents

Aain a baby suffers at the jaws of so called guard dogs and die's as a result. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/25092006/34...uard-dogs.html I know people who have the breed of dog in question and as pets they have no problem with them even around kids as they are very protective of them. Is it down to the fact that these dogs training is the problem as they seem to attack anyone they dont know on their territory. I think its about time we stopped ysing dogs for this job unless a 100% guarentee that there will be no kids around. They put these animals down which to me is wrong as they are doing what they were trained for. I wont be popular for that remark but why should the animal lose its life because of the inadequacy of its training.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-09-2006, 10:33   #2
God Member

Re: Iresponsible Parents

The problem is having 2, they have a pack mentality and the noise of the baby crying distresses the dogs this is often why they attack. They also have to be destroyed once they've attacked Spuggie, they've had the taste of blood which can never be reversed.

It does come down to responsible dog handling, my staff Ben is uncomfortable around babies so I obviously wouldn't dream of putting him in a situation to be around them. If I have visitors that have a baby he has to go outside, I wouldn't trust him for a minute but he is an excellent dog around older children.
Old 25-09-2006, 10:36   #3
Resident Waffler

The dogs were owned by the people who had the pub but they went on holiday and left the family with the baby looking after the pub and the dogs. That was also a bit irresponsible if they didn't know enough about the dogs and they obviosuly didn't if they left the baby where the dogs could attack.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 12:53   #4
white rabbits

I realy dont like rotweilers or pit bulls,,they are not family dogs,,,,even Princess Annes dog was savage ,but in her case it was one law for me and one law for you lot....
Old 25-09-2006, 12:56   #5
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
They also have to be destroyed once they've attacked Spuggie, they've had the taste of blood which can never be reversed.
Tinks ,why would a dog want to attack our spuggie?
Old 25-09-2006, 12:59   #6
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
I realy dont like rotweilers or pit bulls,,they are not family dogs,,,,even Princess Annes dog was savage ,but in her case it was one law for me and one law for you lot....
I think that dog was trying to emulate its master.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 13:25   #7
Senior Member+

It's not just the type of dog we should be talking about here, it's how they are trained & treated. My friend is the manager of "The Gynn" in blackpool, he has two dogs, one is a mongrel, the other is an alsatian. Both dogs are family pets aswell as being guard dogs. Both dogs are brilliant around all the customers (especially children) in the pub. When the pub closes though they are very protective, but this is how they have been raised & trained. Out of the two dogs, the mongrel is the most vicious.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 13:29   #8
Passed away 25-11-09

I was once badly bitten on the upper arm by a Mastiff (huge dog, looked like a lion with its mane shaved off). The owner knew its temperament and it was supposed to be kept in the back garden when he wasn't home. I called at the house in the afternoon and the owner's 15 year old son was home alone and had let the dog into the house against his dad's orders. The result was me with an arm that, honestly, looked like a huge black pudding for about a month and still, 11 years later, the scars where its fangs went into my arm.

That dog didn't bark or growl or even look menacing. It just walked out of the front door and grabbed my arm in its jaws. I had a hell of a job to make it let go, and to stay on my feet, while the lad just stood looking shocked.

I reported it to the police because I felt that had it been a small child on the doorstep that day the dog could well have killed it. The boy hadn't told his dad about the incident, when the police went round, and the owner had the dog destroyed which rather upset me as, despite all that, I do love dogs.

The point is that any dog can have its moment and it's part of responsible ownership to recognise that. Dogs that are kept, primarily, as guard dogs are inevitably going to be less placid than hearth-rug pets but every dog has the instinct for, at least, self-preservation. Anyone who doesn't believe that should not keep a dog.
Old 25-09-2006, 14:59   #9

I have two Labradors who are excellent pets. They both adore children and are very placid, however I would never trust them with young children. They have NEVER given me any reason to mistrust them, but they are only dogs and I would never forgive myself if anything happened. It is a dog owners responsibility to ensure that children (and adults) are kept safe, not just the parents.
Old 25-09-2006, 15:16   #10
God Member

Regardless of how it happened and who's to blame this tragedy just gets worse

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...544057,00.html
Old 25-09-2006, 15:42   #11
Resident Waffler

The police say it's unconnected but it makes you wonder if it was some self appointed vigilante avenging the death of the baby. Awful that one family should have to go through so much.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 16:53   #12
Senior Member+

Part text .. taken from AOL news ...
"The grandfather of a baby mauled to death by Rottweilers has been stabbed and his partner killed in a separate attack hours later, a family member says.
John Brightwell, 50, and Debra Larn, 47, were attacked at their home in Beaumont Leys, Leicester, early on Sunday, said his niece, 17-year-old Natalie Brightwell."

To loose a child to dogs one day and then your parent the next is unbelievable.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 18:41   #13
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies
Part text .. taken from AOL news ...
"The grandfather of a baby mauled to death by Rottweilers has been stabbed and his partner killed in a separate attack hours later, a family member says.
John Brightwell, 50, and Debra Larn, 47, were attacked at their home in Beaumont Leys, Leicester, early on Sunday, said his niece, 17-year-old Natalie Brightwell."

To loose a child to dogs one day and then your parent the next is unbelievable.
That is just awful!

Agree that training, handling, controlling dogs are all up to the owners. As above, one slip can ruin so many lives!

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 19:09   #14
God Member

Just read about the grandparents attack and I believe its no coincidence. As for what the dogs did is bad enough but those that attacked the grandparents are no better than the dogs that killed the baby. Now it looks like 2 needless deaths and more heartache.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 25-09-2006, 19:24   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
The problem is having 2, they have a pack mentality and the noise of the baby crying distresses the dogs this is often why they attack. They also have to be destroyed once they've attacked Spuggie, they've had the taste of blood which can never be reversed.
Tinks they wouldnt need putting down the taste of my blood would poisen them (blaming the refinery). Besides if a dog bit me for doing something like mistreating it (and no I wouldnt) provoking it etc then its my fault and would not want them put down for something I did. If they cant do it to people then why to dogs. I trust dogs than some people I know.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..