Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2005, 18:42   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Is it any wonder children swear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Maybe Kipax was right about that school . Why not make an appointment with the head teacher and/or school governers and ask why your daughter is being asked to swear in the name of education. Or possible Lancashire Education Authority.
agree with neil-chavs point is also a good starting point, i would do what neil says and failing that i would try the local press.
Old 14-09-2005, 18:55   #17
God Member

The headmaster would proberly say its educational for the kids to read this kind of modern writing and LCC would side with him. Abroad education is a national requirement is the likely answer from LCC and all schools are proberly doing the same. Yes it is wrong but how can you change the minds of a bunch of narrow minded people who see puplic opinion as an something to brush aside.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 18:55   #18
God Member

You should have a complaints procedure first u approach the teacher or the head teacher and if you dont get anywhere with that then you approach the board of governors and if that isnt done right then you approach your local education authority ie lancashire county council at preston. I know this cos i am a governor in a primary school.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 19:08   #19
God Member

The question is "would they listen"?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 14-09-2005, 19:11   #20
Beacon of light

I was talking to a neighbour recently about the growth of swearing in very young children - even 5 year olds are using the 'F' word.......I said I would use soap and water to wash out the mouth of the offender......he said he thought it was funny if the word was said in context. Now, that I find very worrying.

I do not think this play is suitable for 14 year olds and I applaud your daughter for not using the 'F' word. It is almost as if the school is condoning bad language. Approach the school governors and see what you can get from that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 19:32   #21
Give, give, give member

I think you should be proud of your daugther for making a public stand because of her principles.

I do find the whole issue difficult. When do you make the transistion from what is suitable for children to that of adults? I adored D.H. Lawrence, and Cider With Rosie by Laurie Lee, reading them at school led me onto reading everything both authors had ever written.

I think parents should have some say over the content of the national curriculum, but where that ends is hard. I read recently of a Muslim parent who objected to the displaying of drawings by Michelangelo in the art room, because it offended his son's beliefs about nudity and the Muslim belief that no living thing should be depicted in a visual way.

Educating Rita may be offensive to some because of the realism of the language, but ultimately it shows how education can be the way forward for people trapped in very mundane lives. I found it funny, inspirational and worthy of it's Oscar nomination.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 19:32   #22

I have just asked my 14 year old daughter.
In English she is writing an essay on "Saving Private Ryan" a classified (15) film that they let a class of 14 year olds watch. She says that "Educating Rita" is next.

I am not too happy.
Someone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 19:37   #23
God Member

What is happening with the education system? Age certificates on films are there for a reason so how can schools ignore them? What next year eleven pupils watching cert 18 films "FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES"? this is getting out of hand.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 14-09-2005, 19:39   #24
God Member

I like the story of Educating Rita but dont think its suitable for 14 year olds, I'm sure they already know the language but its like the school condones it, I would take the advice of the other members on here.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 19:54   #25
Give, give, give member

I fully support parent's rights to stop there children from coming into contact with swearing, even in the content of literature in an informed environment. What about Shakespeare though, in context there's some very fruity Elizabethan language, and as for the topics touched upon, underage relationships, homosexuality, murder, as well as some rather unnatural feelings towards a mother.

I'd much rather more effort was being placed on stopping the use of swearing outside the classroom, than what I hope is a reasoned discussion about it, in it.

Old 14-09-2005, 19:59   #26
Clearly Classy.......

At school I did 'A Taste of Honey' I loved the play and the film adaptation was great, there was swearing in it and I was around 13/14 at the time, we thought it was odd swearing in class in front of the teacher, but looking back it was just part of the play and I personally found it very useful (the actual play not the swearing that is!) I do feel that it would not have been realistic without the swearing in, its true life and whether we like it or not they will swear. Am not sure the school doing a play with swearing in is actually condoning it, its just part of the syllabus. Do your children listen to Eminem or other RAP bands because that, I feel is far worse.

At the same age I also remember doing Arthurs Millers play, 'The Crucible' about Salem and witchcraft, that had swearing in it and things of a sexual nature. There is also some iffy classical plays, would you honestly have been cross if your daughter was doing a classical play with sex and debauchery in?

But like Rindy said........I 'd be proud if my child, like your daughter upheld her views and values.........

My Gallery My Albums

Last edited by Romps; 14-09-2005 at 20:02.
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 20:11   #27
Give, give, give member

A Taste of Honey, one of my all time favourite books, and a classic film. Serious issues about growing up in working class Manchester set against the start of the swinging sixties. A modern day, at the time, morality play.

Old 14-09-2005, 20:15   #28
Clearly Classy.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
A Taste of Honey, one of my all time favourite books, and a classic film. Serious issues about growing up in working class Manchester set against the start of the swinging sixties. A modern day, at the time, morality play.
Dora Brien in the film just creased me up ....she soooooooo cringeworthy!!!

I knew you'd like that play....i just knew!! how odd?

My Gallery My Albums
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 20:21   #29
God Member

Is there anything that kids could study that has no "inapropriate content"? If so why are schools ingnoring it?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 14-09-2005, 20:27   #30
Resident Waffler

It's all very well arguing that children hear far worse in other places. As a matter of fact my daughter doesn't listen to Eminem and thinks that RAP is utter rubbish.

I find it crazy that a 15 cert film can be shown to a class of 14 year olds under the banner of education.

It isn't the school's fault. It's part of the curriculum and I feel the curriculum is wrong. This is the educatiion system condoning the use of such language instead of tryng to curb it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..