Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2005, 15:50   #1
Resident Waffler

Is it any wonder children swear?

My 14 year old daughter is "doing" a play for her English coursework - "Educating Rita".

Am I the only one who thnks this isn't suitable material?

Not only have they watched the video (complete with "f" words) they have also read the play in class. (My daughter refused to read the words she found offensive). They are now going to try to take them to Manchester to see a live performance.

Who decides that it's OK to teach our children to "eff and blind" because it's "literature"??

Perhaps it's no wonder young teenagers advise each other to go forth and multiply when they are arguing.

Before anyone starts slagging off the school I think we need to look a little higher up the ladder.

I feel the need to complain but I'm not sure where I should direct the complaint.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 14-09-2005 at 15:52.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-09-2005, 15:52   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Is it any wonder children swear?

another example to me of society gone mad, i would do my nut if it involved my kids,glad there grown up !
Old 14-09-2005, 16:00   #3
Passed away 25-11-09

I agree. It's not just literature, the language on television after 9:30 p.m. is appalling. So often the expletives have no place whatever in the context of the programme and seem to be included for nothing more than shock value.

Habitual swearing shows nothing more than that the user has a poor vocabulary. If that's what constitutes educational reading material then our education system is deteriorating.
Old 14-09-2005, 16:06   #4
I am Banned

yet if a film has swearing in it they rate it a 15
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 16:12   #5
I am Banned

Having to do DH LAwrence at school for english was bad enough
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 16:18   #6
Resident Waffler

D H Lawrence? How long ago was that?

By 'ecky thump things have changed since I were a lass.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 16:20   #7
Senior Member+

Having to do anything at school was bad enough...!

Agree about the swearing though

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 16:23   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
D H Lawrence? How long ago was that?

By 'ecky thump things have changed since I were a lass.
About 14yrs ago thereabouts, it was our english teachers fault sure he was a literary perve or something or just wanted to make the girls blush We even studied Cider with Rosie which the film was on the other week.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 16:32   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Maybe Kipax was right about that school . Why not make an appointment with the head teacher and/or school governers and ask why your daughter is being asked to swear in the name of education. Or possible Lancashire Education Authority.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 17:11   #10
Senior Member+

Wonder what would happen to the kids when they got back and started talking to the teachers like that.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 17:40   #11
God Member

Teachers hands are tied so kids proberly get away with swearing, but to use English course work that has swearing in dosnt set a good example. How long will it be before the school produces a play that sounds like a swearathon?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 18:22   #12
God Member

I did DH Lawrence's Sons and Lovers, at school, found it boring. Spent half the time trying to find the rude bits and completely missing them by not understanding the allegory of the poppies.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 18:24   #13
God Member

I have to agree with you Willow. They have too much swearing inflicted on them in real life without having to read it as well. I presume their only logic is that the kids that they're teaching it to probably know far worse than anything in Educating Rita anyway.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 18:31   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
About 14yrs ago thereabouts, it was our english teachers fault sure he was a literary perve or something or just wanted to make the girls blush We even studied Cider with Rosie
OOOhhhhh lol! We used to get in so much trouble for giggling at the rude bits.

I think alot of the literature that is read in school, especially secondary schools, can be too graphic cosidering the age of these children.

I also remember reading Of Mice and Men which was an excellent story but it also had it's dodgey bits in
Old 14-09-2005, 18:35   #15
God Member

Ahh the joys of having Steinbeck forst down our throats. Kids could learn something from that. What will be the next step in there reading James Joyce's Dubliners?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..