Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 20:12   #1
God Member

Is this what we have come to ?

Have you ever had one of those experiences where you can feel the will to live just drain away? This article, published in The Times, was one of those occaisions.

How many adults does it take to let children play outside? - Times Online

How can we have allowed this.... lunacy... to grow unchecked?
Old 04-08-2007, 21:40   #2
God Member

Re: Is this what we have come to ?

How sad.I know that today's parents have many fears but we really shouldn't be wrapping our kids in cotton wool like this.There's a line between caring and going to these absurd lengths.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 22:22   #3

very true lilly... it isnt as bad as peopl make it to be these days
fair enough it isnt as safe as our parents used to be but come on there isnt gangs on every corner
Old 05-08-2007, 14:13   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen_firth View Post
very true lilly... it isnt as bad as peopl make it to be these days
fair enough it isnt as safe as our parents used to be but come on there isnt gangs on every corner
I found your post a little ironic lol as your signature is a bit like a gang slogan, you even have little banana men blazing with guns lol.

I think its mad that children have to be watched by their parents on their streets at all times in some places but there are also places where the parents wont even step out of their doors for fear of being gunned down.

Dependant on where you live, there are actually very dangerous gangs on the corners and no amount of adults stood watching over children would guarantee their safety. We are just lucky we live in a safe society.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 14:20   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I found your post a little ironic lol as your signature is a bit like a gang slogan, you even have little banana men blazing with guns lol.

I think its mad that children have to be watched by their parents on their streets at all times in some places but there are also places where the parents wont even step out of their doors for fear of being gunned down.

Dependant on where you live, there are actually very dangerous gangs on the corners and no amount of adults stood watching over children would guarantee their safety. We are just lucky we live in a safe society.
How do you define safe? Paedophiles are being housed near to families with children. They may have served time in prison and been released, but who knows when they will strike again?
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 14:43   #6
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Have you ever had one of those experiences where you can feel the will to live just drain away? This article, published in The Times, was one of those occaisions.

How many adults does it take to let children play outside? - Times Online

How can we have allowed this.... lunacy... to grow unchecked?
Arn't you just glad you were born into the age of inocence no interfering 'play persons' just left to our own devices, "going down't dunk this aft Ian" "aye I'll bring the 'jinking' bottle". before anyone get's on their high horse about 'funny men' we had our fair share of them, but they got no change out of us. Why oh why can children not let be children, instead of creating unwanted 'jobs for the boys/girls.'
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 15:46   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

it isn’t the children who need to be taught how to play outside. It’s the parents.----- taken from ABs link, think its very true in many cases and not just playing out, theres many things now depriving childeren of their childhood, i just find that very sad.
Old 05-08-2007, 17:42   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
How is her slogan like a gang thing?

I don't have to be the best, just better than everybody else!

What she is saying is that she is trying to be better but with a bit of humour

Quote:
It is silly that these days we can't help but worry, when you become a parent maybe you will know what it feels like?

Quote:
A safe society? How many teenagers have been killed by gunfire so far this year in London? You call that safe? It doesn't matter that it isn't here in the Northwest it is still within Our community! Are you only going to be worried when it's on your own doorstep or if it happens to one of your loved ones? The horror is there we all need to act against it.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 17:46   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
How many teenagers have been killed by gunfire so far this year in London?
Fifteen, sadly.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 17:48   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

not just london,try telling parents in moss side n other areas of manchester we live in a safe society.
Old 05-08-2007, 17:53   #11
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Fifteen, sadly.
I think thats just gone up to seventeen garinda, not to mention somewhere a bit closer to home Manchester
b.joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 17:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
not just london,try telling parents in moss side n other areas of manchester we live in a safe society.
Quite right cashy, this is our land if we ignore what happens a few hundred miles away or even thirty, then we are all responsible for the ill's that befall others, (Hey, that's quite a Christian statement for an atheist! )
Old 05-08-2007, 18:01   #13
God Member

Although I find it ridiculous, my daughter doesn't get to play out front yet, though she's only 5, we used to get up to allsorts as kids maybe thats why I'm being protective, one of my main concerns are cars though and the speed at which some are driven in my area.
Old 05-08-2007, 18:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
one of my main concerns are cars though and the speed at which some are driven in my area.
That must always be a consideration, but other than that, however, all children deserve the chance of what we used to think of as adventure, going with their friends for a 'long walk', (even if it's only a mile there and another mile back again, with a bag of crisps and a bottle of pop to share), that is the society we need to always aim for, one were children can enjoy the freedom we used to have, being able to walk past adults without us putting doubts in their minds, if they actually get lost knowing that the next adult they come across will point them in the right direction, or even walk part of the way to see them safely home, (I wouldn't dare do that with a lost child these days, why? Not because I'm sick but society is sick!).

Old 05-08-2007, 20:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Arn't you just glad you were born into the age of inocence no interfering 'play persons' just left to our own devices, "going down't dunk this aft Ian" "aye I'll bring the 'jinking' bottle". before anyone get's on their high horse about 'funny men' we had our fair share of them, but they got no change out of us. Why oh why can children not let be children, instead of creating unwanted 'jobs for the boys/girls.'
Amen to that.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..