Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2011, 07:54   #61
God Member

Re: Judging a book by it's cover.

lol just realized my date of birth in my profile is February 1, 1949

then again i was in a rush when creating this account to replace my od account.I hope no one has been misled by my profile and thinks that i am a grumpy old man rather than a grumpy middle aged man

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Accrington Web
Old 26-08-2011, 07:59   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
thinks that i am a grumpy old man rather than a grumpy middle aged man
Nowt wrong with being both
Old 26-08-2011, 08:00   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Maybe part of their "problem" is the need to invent a fantasy alias?

I think there are different sites for that, and definatley shouldn't be used by children
Old 26-08-2011, 08:03   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I agree that bullying a 12 year old who's not in a position to defend themselves is totally out of order.

However, would it not help if their profile was more accurate? At the moment it says they're a "30 year old Ossy resident with a wife and kids" who works in the NHS. Personally, I believe that the person is who Gary and Neil say they are and I have stopped taking the mick. However, others still have doubts. Would it not help to remove those doubts if their profile was, without going into details, more accurate?
Thing is though quite simple to me, if someone comes along to any site, n gives information on profile n through posts etc, it is not unreasonable to take em at face value? unless yeh happen to be a guy like "Kreskin" i will not doubt the integrity of anyone, unless given what i regard as just cause.
Old 26-08-2011, 09:03   #65
Resting in Peace

Don't know about other people but I always check the profile of new members that post regularly and from what I've seen others do the same, so who can blame people if a truly false profile is used on this or any other Web Site. But on the other hand I think it was Guinness who mentioned my spelling mistakes, Can't think that I have ever thrown my toys out of the pram when I've been ribbed unmercilessly by certain members, just joined in with the fun, but after this little episode I may just change a little, or no a bloody lot
Old 26-08-2011, 09:17   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I've been ribbed unmercilessly by certain members, just joined in with the fun,

You've had it easy, I get racially abused all the time
Old 26-08-2011, 09:18   #67
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
If this person IS 12 which i highly doubt he is....why didn't his best mate NEIL who is supposed to know forum rules being a mod and all that, stop his account? Funny that aint it? Utter bull as usual
I posted this yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have reported the broken rule myself as I thought he was a year older. I can admit to my mistakes, shame others cant.
Old 26-08-2011, 09:20   #68
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Don't know about other people but I always check the profile of new members that post regularly and from what I've seen others do the same, so who can blame people if a truly false profile is used on this or any other Web Site.
Because you and a few others that were harassing him were told ages ago
Old 26-08-2011, 09:36   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You've had it easy, I get racially abused all the time
Nice one
Old 26-08-2011, 10:17   #70
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Well it appears that the person who caused all this upset has been banned, (I hope it is only temporary), what a shame that he hadn't told the truth in his profile right at the beginning allowing the administrators to pick up on his age and then all of this controversy could have been avoided in the first place.

If there is a lesson to be learnt from this surely it is that all parents/guardians should be aware of what their little charges are up to when on the internet?
Old 26-08-2011, 10:23   #71
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
..... what a shame that he hadn't told the truth in his profile right at the beginning.....
I cant see a rule that says you have to tell the truth on your profile.
Old 26-08-2011, 10:26   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
there aint, but thats stupid comment imho.
Old 26-08-2011, 10:26   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Is there a rule on age Neil, I'm asking because I genuinely don't know
Old 26-08-2011, 10:31   #74

Quote:
Don't talk like a burk. The idea behind a profile is to give folk an idea of whom you are and your background, if you lie in your profile then obviously what you are is a liar!

But then I wouldn't expect you to agree with me on this subject, after all you are such a responsible person, you went out of your way to accuse me of using an extra user name and being this person, when you had absolutely no proof at all.
Old 26-08-2011, 14:29   #75

Quote:
Is there a rule on age Neil, I'm asking because I genuinely don't know
Indeed there is,

it is in place to protect both the innocent and the site, after all what could be worse than finding that our site has caused harm to our youth?

When adults or people claiming to be adults sign up to the site they are treated as adults, however if someone of a delicate age tries to sign up they are flagged and are asked for adult permission in writing to protect them.

In this particular case, we either have a child that lied or else an adult that started a membership, then passed it on to a child, (I honestly can't see this young man able to make up the profile he used).

The whole of this has been blamed on bullies and unfeeling people, why?

Well it's obvious to me, why,
a child managed with or without adult assistance, deliberatly or innocently to have access to the site, the fact that that child is supposedly 'afflicted' in some manner does not excuse the adults supposedly responsible for that child, they allowed this to happen.

I don't blame the Administrators or Moderators for this deliberate lie, but anyone that is responsible for this child that allowed him to be treated as an adult IS to blame.

It could have meant due to what a child thought as 'little white lies', the end of accyweb had something far more serious happened.

Who would be to blame?

The members? The Moderators? The Administrators? The owner?

Or

The adults that knew of this childs actions but did nothing about it?

That child was treated as he was by members that had looked at his profile and treated him as an adult, he was accepted as what he claimed to be, therefore treated as we have all seen.

Can I ask that in future any child in similar circumstances is protected not by accyweb, (it could have been a worse site he was a member of), but by the people that should protect him?

His parents and guardians?
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..