Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2011, 18:44   #121
Senior Member+

Re: Judging a book by it's cover.

Enough of the breast-ringing and hand-beating!
As a thirty year old married man with kids, a car and working for the NHS Bee got treated no better or worse than he deserved. Be fair, he was treated quite gently compared to the savaging I have seen some people receive on here in my short membership. The treatment of him was more 'Oh, no, not again' than 'Where is his jugular?'. Vigourous discussions and comments are acceptabe between adults as long as it doesn't go too far( which it sometimes does)
As they say 'If you can't stand the heat-'.
HOWEVER!
If this is a twelve year old boy I am impressed with his knowledge and enthusiasm for his chosen (if strange) interest. He seemed astonishingly aware of what was going on in the Hyndburn area(retail wise) and didn't let the mickey taken out of him put him off one bit. Odd though his posts were I doubt anyone would have guessed he was only that age.
If he had given an honest summation of himself I am confident he would have received a lot of very knowledgable answers from people on here(where else is there so much knowledge of Accrington?).
I don't think open access to this forum is suitable for a twelve year old but if this is his chosen interest is there no way he can be allowed to ask his questions and benefit from all the information available from the members on here?
Accrington Web
Old 27-08-2011, 18:54   #122
Beacon of light

Maybe Gordon, when he reaches 13 and can get his parent or guardian to ask for permission, then he will be allowed back.
While I was not a fan of his postings.....I would never have wanted him to be banned for that reason...but he has infringed the forum rule on the age restriction, so I guess it is fair.
Old 27-08-2011, 18:56   #123
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Judging a book by its' cover.
When we buy a book..or borrow one for that matter, it is usual to read the synopsis, and the comments made by the critics....this is how we decide whether this particular book is going to be something we invest time in...and read. If the book cover looks boring, or the synopsis is lack lustre then we probably won't bother with it.....we have made the judgement.

We all judge books by their cover....and a forum members profile is all we can go on until we are fortunate enough to meet the member in person.
While I know there is nothing in the rules that says we have to be truthful, it is very different to put something that is calculated to mislead....and I appreciate that this doesn't give other members carte blanche to get on that persons case.

I never really gave creedence to the theory that the person being discussed in this thread was someone who already had a forum identity....and was just posting these mundane threads to wind people up.

The threads and posts on the forum, by this person, I found tedious(I eventually used the ignore button)....and made comment to that effect. I make no apology for that because it is how I would treat any other member of the forum.(I don't think I was ever nasty to this member - if I was, then I apologise for that) If you come on here as an adult then you should expect to be treated like an adult.
We don't all judge books by their covers. I also ignore the synopsis, and the critics are no better judges than any other reader. And every reading is a re-writing.

Sure, I found Bee's postings a little tedious. But that was because of the subject rather than the tone, which was always calm and reasonable. Never were there angry outbursts at the outrageously nasty responses. I kind of admired his restraint, a model for some others on here. And his threads were no more tedious than some of the ones I initiated. Not too many folks in your part of the world are interested in hockey, the weather in K'town, whether or not the Queen's Golden Gaels were going to win the Vanier Cup/Coupe Vanier etc.

I understand there were issues with his profile; but aren't all autobiographies fiction? Boswell admited as much; so did Cardinal Newman in his "Apologia Pro Vita Sua". And I lied about my age. I'm actually only 16, although I claim to be 65 This is why I'm not allowed in the over 18s

I also would like to suggest that a too strict adherence to rules, allowing no latitude, is not necessarily a good thing. Sometimes it's ok to cut someone a little slack. Rigidity in thinking and procedure leads to things like the Battle of the Somme.

I hope at some point that Bee returns.
Old 27-08-2011, 18:56   #124
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Enough of the breast-ringing and hand-beating!
As a thirty year old married man with kids, a car and working for the NHS Bee got treated no better or worse than he deserved. Be fair, he was treated quite gently compared to the savaging I have seen some people receive on here in my short membership. The treatment of him was more 'Oh, no, not again' than 'Where is his jugular?'. Vigourous discussions and comments are acceptabe between adults as long as it doesn't go too far( which it sometimes does)
As they say 'If you can't stand the heat-'.
HOWEVER!
If this is a twelve year old boy I am impressed with his knowledge and enthusiasm for his chosen (if strange) interest. He seemed astonishingly aware of what was going on in the Hyndburn area(retail wise) and didn't let the mickey taken out of him put him off one bit. Odd though his posts were I doubt anyone would have guessed he was only that age.
If he had given an honest summation of himself I am confident he would have received a lot of very knowledgable answers from people on here(where else is there so much knowledge of Accrington?).
I don't think open access to this forum is suitable for a twelve year old but if this is his chosen interest is there no way he can be allowed to ask his questions and benefit from all the information available from the members on here?
Regardless of age, there were threads and posts, now happily deleted, which were very demeaning. Some of which demanded the removal of another member.

A member who hadn't been snide, or abusive to anyone else.

This member was purely singled out because some people didn't happen to share the same enthusiasms.

That in my opinion, is quite simply wrong.

We do all make instantaneous judgements.

Perhaps it's just human nature. A survival instinct. Friend or foe.

It's only later that you realise assassins sometimes smile.

Old 27-08-2011, 19:34   #125

Just get my two cents in quickly - hopefully I won't get caught in the crossfire.

I sometimes replied sarcastically to posts by the member in question, but it was always light-hearted, and I'm sure it was always taken that way. I had many sarcastic but genial exchanges with him and was happy to add him as a friend when pm'd.

And truth be told, even if I'd known the person's real status I'd have replied in exactly the same way. Treating someone differently would feel wrong to me. The banter and mick taking between people on here is a big part of what makes it interesting.

Hope he comes back soon tbh, because members responses to the tedious posts were absolute comedy gold on occasion
Old 27-08-2011, 19:48   #126
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
We don't all judge books by their covers. I also ignore the synopsis, and the critics are no better judges than any other reader. And every reading is a re-writing.

Sure, I found Bee's postings a little tedious. But that was because of the subject rather than the tone, which was always calm and reasonable. Never were there angry outbursts at the outrageously nasty responses. I kind of admired his restraint, a model for some others on here. And his threads were no more tedious than some of the ones I initiated. Not too many folks in your part of the world are interested in hockey, the weather in K'town, whether or not the Queen's Golden Gaels were going to win the Vanier Cup/Coupe Vanier etc.

I understand there were issues with his profile; but aren't all autobiographies fiction? Boswell admited as much; so did Cardinal Newman in his "Apologia Pro Vita Sua". And I lied about my age. I'm actually only 16, although I claim to be 65 This is why I'm not allowed in the over 18s

I also would like to suggest that a too strict adherence to rules, allowing no latitude, is not necessarily a good thing. Sometimes it's ok to cut someone a little slack. Rigidity in thinking and procedure leads to things like the Battle of the Somme.

I hope at some point that Bee returns.
So you take no notice of the cover at all Eric, and you discount the synopsis and also the critiques of books that you choose? How do you choose your books then? I am not being 'fly'....I just would like to know what criteria you use to decide whether a book is worth spending your time on.

I appreciate that every reader will see a different aspect of the same book.
Some will pick up sub plots, others won't.
I don't always pay attention to what the critics write, but I do look at the cover and read what the book is about.

As for the relaxing the rules...I think there was a legal issue about age.(I am sure someone will tell me if I dreamed this...but I think it was in a post by Less)
Apparently the server is an American company and so American legal rules have to be applied with respect to the person's age.
Old 27-08-2011, 20:43   #127
God Member

Quote:
So you take no notice of the cover at all Eric, and you discount the synopsis and also the critiques of books that you choose? How do you choose your books then? I am not being 'fly'....I just would like to know what criteria you use to decide whether a book is worth spending your time on.

I appreciate that every reader will see a different aspect of the same book.
Some will pick up sub plots, others won't.
I don't always pay attention to what the critics write, but I do look at the cover and read what the book is about.

As for the relaxing the rules...I think there was a legal issue about age.(I am sure someone will tell me if I dreamed this...but I think it was in a post by Less)
Apparently the server is an American company and so American legal rules have to be applied with respect to the person's age.

I do notice the cover of "Playboy" and "Hustler" But seriously, or sort of seriously, what bugged me was the word "all", in bold, standing out as definative. And I didn't want to get deeply into linguistics and the act of reading; so, I made the comments I did. I didn't want to offend someone whose opinion I respect by climbing into my pedantic pulpit. But language, and the act of reading is something folks take for granted ... most of them anyway. Like breathing. It turns out that it is not that simple. If you read the synopsis, which is nothing more than a stranger's reading of the text, and the critical comments, your reading will be directed along a certain path. This is not necessarily the path you would have taken if you hadn't been coerced by the "authority" of the critic. In other words, you read the book they want you to read. In a sense, they usurp the author.

There is an excellent book on the subject. Terry Eagleton's "Literary Criticism." It's worth a read. And you will probably appreciate his humour. I do recommend it.

Oh, and you don't need to point out the irony of the previous paragraph
Old 27-08-2011, 21:15   #128
Beacon of light

Ok Eric, I won't
Maybe then I should replace that all with many...or perhaps most.
I don't much care for generalisations myself......but like everyone else on here I am human. I haven't the time to waste on beating myself up about things that are just not worth the effort.

You didn't really answer the question I asked though did you?
I am interested on how you decide what is worthy of a read...and how you come to your decisions.
Anyway we are going to get our hands slapped for a thread wander...even though the title is about books and covers...it isn't really about that at all...it is about judging people on little information, on information that is fake.
Or have I got that wrong too?
Old 27-08-2011, 21:23   #129
Super Moderator

Noticed that the shop next door to the Commercial, going up Little Blackburn Road is empty. What did it used to be? See...if Bee was here, he'd go buzzing off to discover this information. Now I'll probably never know.

I want Bee to come back!
Old 27-08-2011, 21:35   #130
Beacon of light

It was an amusement arcade...... and a carpet shop(it didn't last long as either of those)...it is below what used to be Thornbers Chemists...and anyone who remembers that far back is a good un.
Hope that helps Steve...don't want you having a sleepless night.
Old 27-08-2011, 21:39   #131
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

I understand there were issues with his profile; but aren't all autobiographies fiction? Boswell admited as much; so did Cardinal Newman

in his "Apologia Pro Vita Sua". And I lied about my age. I'm actually only 16,

although I claim to be 65 This is why I'm not allowed in the over 18s

Surely Eric no-one of 16 could have such superb beard?! Unless your profile is fake- which i doubt it is.....
I too hope at some point that Bee returns. I had no qualms whatsoever about his posts...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 27-08-2011, 21:53   #132
Super Moderator

Quote:
It was an amusement arcade...... and a carpet shop(it didn't last long as either of those)...it is below what used to be Thornbers Chemists...and anyone who remembers that far back is a good un.
Hope that helps Steve...don't want you having a sleepless night.
Many thanks, Margaret. As you are now deputising in Bee's hopefully temporary absence as Accyweb Retail Analyst, I may be back with further questions.
Old 27-08-2011, 21:59   #133
Beacon of light

How did I get that honour conferred on me?
Just because I have a long memory.........I really don't want to take the crown away from Bee....don't want to be as boring either..please, please tell me I'm not. Boring, that is!
Old 27-08-2011, 22:09   #134
God Member

Quote:
Just because I have a long memory.........I really don't want to take) the crown away from Bee....don't want to be as boring either..please, please tell me I'm not. Boring, that is!
A certain member "Less", more or less important, inferred that i was 'boring' (and you came to my rescue, telling me about the "ignore" option) -our opinion of another persons posts is always relative to what's intesting to us or them at a particular time.....I personally appreciate what you have to say....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 27-08-2011 at 22:12.
Old 27-08-2011, 22:14   #135
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just because I have a long memory.........I really don't want to take the crown away from Bee....don't want to be as boring either..please, please tell me I'm not. Boring, that is!
Of course not, Margaret, but you do seem to have an aptitude for this sort of work. Just think of it as "minding the shop" while Bee's away!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..