Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2011, 22:17   #136
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Judging a book by it's cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
How did I get that honour conferred on me?
Just because I have a long memory.........I really don't want to take the crown away from Bee....don't want to be as boring either..please, please tell me I'm not. Boring, that is!
yeh couldn't be boring if yeh took a degree in it, i reckon its inferring yer good samariton side, which is summat i'll never acheive.
Old 27-08-2011, 22:18   #137
Senior Member+

Is bee away?
Old 27-08-2011, 22:21   #138
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Is bee away?
unfortunately appears he was underage n things could get messy libel wise, so was banned.
Old 27-08-2011, 22:22   #139
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
A certain member "Less", more or less important, inferred that i was 'boring' (and you came to my rescue, telling me about the "ignore" option) -our opinion of another persons posts is always relative to what's intesting to us or them at a particular time.....I personally appreciate what you have to say....
A 'boring' from Less equates to a 'sane' in the world outside this asylum, and is a badge to be worn honour.

Old 27-08-2011, 22:25   #140
Senior Member+

Just looked at his profile and it has him last on at 10.30 tonight He was a bit tedious but harmless none the less.He may come buzzing back you never know.
Old 27-08-2011, 22:31   #141
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
A 'boring' from Less equates to a 'sane' in the world outside this asylum, and is a badge to be worn honour.

Without the antagonists....!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 27-08-2011, 23:20   #142
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

I also would like to suggest that a too strict adherence to rules, allowing no latitude, is not necessarily a good thing. Sometimes it's ok to cut someone a little slack. Rigidity in thinking and procedure leads to things like the Battle of the Somme.
How correct you are and perhaps the administration team had known his age and were indeed 'cutting a little slack', we don't know do we?

However when someone comes on site claiming to know this person and also stating his age, then no longer can there be any slack the ropes have to be reigned in and actions have to be taken to prevent the site itself being prosecuted.

Perhaps the lad would still be posting now had someone not told the whole worldwide web?

Last edited by Less; 27-08-2011 at 23:24.
Old 28-08-2011, 00:58   #143
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
How correct you are and perhaps the administration team had known his age and were indeed 'cutting a little slack', we don't know do we?

However when someone comes on site claiming to know this person and also stating his age, then no longer can there be any slack the ropes have to be reigned in and actions have to be taken to prevent the site itself being prosecuted.

Perhaps the lad would still be posting now had someone not told the whole worldwide web?
As stated earlier, I do feel some guilt.

I tried subtlety, when I started this thread, nearly three months ago, but sadly that failed.

The targeted, snide abuse continued. Right up until the middle of this week.

However, knowing, rather than just claiming that forum rules have been broken, and knowing, now we are informed that apparently blind eyes may have been turned by 'the administration team', didn't someone on here claim this could be the end of Accy Web, if it became public knowlege?

So the member's age was known? I thought we were to take what was posted on a member's profile page, as proof they were an adult, and would be treated as such?

Very confusing.

That smacks of sheer hypocrisy, and a bit of a dodgy one, when it came to lawful procedures being followed, now we've been informed about the legal requirements regarding age.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

In all honesty my main concern isn't this forum. It's the continued targeting of someone who'd never posted anything nasty themselves.

If by stating their age helps stop this happening again, good.

Even though I tried to end this without revealing someone's actual age, trying to protect their privacy, and nothing to do with forum requirements, mainly because I didn't know them, it not being applicable to me on joining, I feel I'm now criticising the running of Accy Web, because of the information Less has posted.

I'm not. I just think it all seems very muddled, about what was, and what wasn't known, and it might have been known, but it might have been decided that it would be ignored.

If I've broken forum rules, then I'm sorry.

If I'm subsequently banned, so be it.

What has happened isn't good.

I tried to do what was needed to end it.

Any sack cloth and ashes comments you can stick up your Khyber.

It happens to be the truth, and I'd do the same things again so this hopefully ceases.

Last edited by garinda; 28-08-2011 at 01:01.
Old 28-08-2011, 02:17   #144
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

However, knowing, rather than just claiming that forum rules have been broken, and knowing, now we are informed that apparently blind eyes may have been turned by 'the administration team', didn't someone on here claim this could be the end of Accy Web, if it became public knowlege?

So the member's age was known? I thought we were to take what was posted on a member's profile page, as proof they were an adult, and would be treated as such?

Very confusing.
Yes, obviously it is confusing, for you, in the first sentence of my above post I stated:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
The terms 'perhaps' and 'we don't know do we?'

Were speculation nothing more nothing less.

Yet somehow you manage to twist them into your version of fact.

No-one claimed this could be the end of accyweb, though I do recall saying something along the lines of, "had something worse happened to the lad it could have been the end", (I'll allow you to look up the exact quote you enjoy the hunt).

After all the lad was posting right up until your revelation, maybe the admins knew maybe they didn't, I don't know.

But I do know it was only after your post that he was banned, whether that has a direct bearing on the lads removal I don't know and I refuse to speculate on what could be a mere coincidence.

I'm sure you will be back on to continue your bitchfest against anything I post at the moment, perhaps it has something to do with the conversations instigated by you that we had through P.M.'s on Thursday the 25th.

Well sad to say I had learnt (and should have remembered), that with you if you do get in touch the golden rule is only tell him what you don't mind him telling the rest of the world. Yes you've proved to be that reliable a friend over the past couple of years, so I mention a particular rule, and you blast it out for all the world to see on Thursday Night, well done.

So your three months of this belly aching thread instead of helping the lad seem to have done him a mis-service, (but don't worry, through my connections as a member of the accyweb 'clique', I am trying my hardest to assist in a rapid return for the poor mite that has been wronged so gravely).

Quote:
(but don't worry, through my connections as a member of the accyweb 'clique', I am trying my hardest to assist in a rapid return for the poor mite that has been wronged so gravely).
The above statement as anyone with your expansive sense of humour knows, is of course untrue, because there is no accyweb clique it is a joke.

Just as someone getting on their high horse so that they can get down to grass roots is a really big joke.

I do hope that despite all your efforts he can return to us soon.

Last edited by Less; 28-08-2011 at 02:24.
Old 28-08-2011, 06:32   #145
Resting in Peace

Right as Bee was under age 13( this was unknown to me until a member posted age on site) his parents/guardian has to fill a form in called "COPPA" form.
This has now been done and i have received the forms and Bee is free to post as usual.
The bit of slack refared to was i was not going to ban him as long as he did not post on site till i got the forms this he did not do but carried on posting so he was banned till i received the forms.(ban now lifted)
these forms are a legal requirement and as the servers are in America we have to uphold this law.
I now think all this bickering should stop and lets get on with the rest of the site
Bee now has the same right as any other member on here to post so please leave him alone

Last edited by Mick; 28-08-2011 at 06:34.
Old 28-08-2011, 07:37   #146
God Member

I see he's back already -pretty quick off the mark!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 28-08-2011, 08:15   #147

I'm glad this has been sorted and Bee is back posting. It's seems to have been a very unfortunate incident and I really don't think that anything has been done in Malice. I can understand why some people think there is a "clique" as some peoples posts come across stronger than others and they seem "more in the know" than other members and to be honest I enjoy reading those the most. I don't believe there is a clique I think it's just a case of long term members knowing Accy web so very well and that, I believe, is what makes this forum as good as it is.
Old 28-08-2011, 08:42   #148
Beacon of light

Thanks mobertol - pleased to have been of help.
Thanks Steve.......I can do 'minding the shop'...but I can't be Bee.....well I don't need to now, as he is back amongst us. I wonder if he will now amend his profile......would be interesting.
Thanks Cashy...not sure I am a Samaritan, I think it might just be, that being in the caring profession for so long, it is ingrained in me to try and help....... if I can.
I am more pleased that you consider me incapable of being boring(whew...sigh of relief).
Old 28-08-2011, 09:27   #149
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Enough of the breast-ringing and hand-beating!
As a thirty year old married man with kids, a car and working for the NHS Bee got treated no better or worse than he deserved. Be fair, he was treated quite gently compared to the savaging I have seen some people receive on here in my short membership. The treatment of him was more 'Oh, no, not again' than 'Where is his jugular?'. Vigourous discussions and comments are acceptabe between adults as long as it doesn't go too far( which it sometimes does)
As they say 'If you can't stand the heat-'.
HOWEVER!
If this is a twelve year old boy I am impressed with his knowledge and enthusiasm for his chosen (if strange) interest. He seemed astonishingly aware of what was going on in the Hyndburn area(retail wise) and didn't let the mickey taken out of him put him off one bit. Odd though his posts were I doubt anyone would have guessed he was only that age.
If he had given an honest summation of himself I am confident he would have received a lot of very knowledgable answers from people on here(where else is there so much knowledge of Accrington?).
I don't think open access to this forum is suitable for a twelve year old but if this is his chosen interest is there no way he can be allowed to ask his questions and benefit from all the information available from the members on here?
Can't fault that at all Gordon
Old 28-08-2011, 09:37   #150
Resting in Peace

One thing I can't understand is why did his parents or guardian allow him to give himself a profile like that when he registered on here when joining.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..