Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2008, 22:28   #136
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Jury Service??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Ye but...Ye but..Ye but......Slap on the wrist for the mugger and a hefty fine for a utility company (Which Cost's the punter who uses the service)
Fine and maybe prison term for the motorist....burgler...came from a broken home......tagging.......Social behaviour problems...Parents to blame?
The Law is an ass and a joke.
reckon that proves me point.
Old 13-05-2008, 22:32   #137

Slight wander from main topic

Been googling to find out what kind of budget the Ministry of Justice gets annually, can’t find anything definitive ( maybe I’m looking in the wrong areas )

I assume they get a budget to have thousands of people sitting twiddling their thumbs on a daily basis any ideas
Old 13-05-2008, 22:43   #138
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Perhaps you would prefer to live in Burma, China, Iraq at the moment, deprived African countries then !! Sorry Slinky .. just still think we are very priveleged in this country compared with the rest of the world. I will stick my country out for the rest of my life and not desert ...
Why...was has Ossy or the rest of England got to offer you...if you have any money left if your property it will be sold to pay for your care in the community they will take it from you.
The senario of moving to the Far East is young persons perception of life not a mature person's, who would'nt dream of it anyway.
I may live in Spain and feel myself very privilidged that the people of Spain exept me for what I am.
The blinkered view of what life is like abroad is not about where you spent your last holiday...or where I got nissed on that beach.
Stay in your sheltered abode and I wish you luck....
If you do not consider deserting a sinking ship , you will drown.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 22:55   #139
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Perhaps you would prefer to live in Burma, China, Iraq at the moment, deprived African countries then !! Sorry Slinky .. just still think we are very priveleged in this country compared with the rest of the world. I will stick my country out for the rest of my life and not desert ...
perfectly entitled to that view kate, pity its too late to edit, ya could have changed "priveledged to deluded"
Old 13-05-2008, 22:59   #140
God Member

Quote:
With you on this Kate could never dream of moving away
Old 13-05-2008, 23:00   #141
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
With you on this Kate could never dream of moving away
nowt wrong wi it at all......but priveleged?
Old 13-05-2008, 23:02   #142
Give, give, give member

I'm glad I did my jury service in London.

I wasn't kept waiting about at all.

There must be more crime down there, or at least criminals who aren't as good at evading capture.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 23:03   #143
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
nowt wrong wi it at all......but priveleged?
I suppose in lots of ways we are, it is all well and good looking for negatives but there are plenty of positives.
Old 13-05-2008, 23:45   #144
Resting in Peace

Not arguing on this point at all... have stated my feelings.

Would not leave my children (whilst they are still here) to live in a hot/sweaty climate to start with ..and they are doing extremely well in their careers due to the facilities of education I have been able to afford them.

Ok Royboy, just listening, coincidentally, to Century FM re. the situation of the state forcing you to sell your home for long term care... so what ? My kids would not expect a legacy of any sorts, and if it can be used to help me when steering a zimmer frame .. so be it.

I have friends who now live in Spain, (and visit them regularly) and they are extremely happy .. so be it, but so am I, living in the country I was born in, so please do not label me blinkered for not understanding what retirement in Spain is about. Never been nissed on the beach .. just in the restaurants ... LOL.

sorry Bagpuss .. thread wander.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 23:58   #145
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Not arguing on this point at all... have stated my feelings.

Would not leave my children (whilst they are still here) to live in a hot/sweaty climate to start with ..and they are doing extremely well in their careers due to the facilities of education I have been able to afford them.

Ok Royboy, just listening, coincidentally, to Century FM re. the situation of the state forcing you to sell your home for long term care... so what ? My kids would not expect a legacy of any sorts, and if it can be used to help me when steering a zimmer frame .. so be it.

I have friends who now live in Spain, (and visit them regularly) and they are extremely happy .. so be it, but so am I, living in the country I was born in, so please do not label me blinkered for not understanding what retirement in Spain is about. Never been nissed on the beach .. just in the restaurants ... LOL.

sorry Bagpuss .. thread wander.
As you know my closest friends live in Gran Canaria and Milan, and it's fun going over there a couple of times per winter, but I could never happily live abroad full time.

I love our seasons. The feeling you have on a warm sunny morning, after a cold winter, fills you with as much joy as hearing the new born birds singing.

I love the green and varied landscape of these islands, much on our own doorstep here in Hyndburn.

I love the people, who are generally generous of spirit, and with a unique sense of humour.

I've been lucky to have been to most parts of this world we call Earth, but to me Britain is by far the best place to live.

Foreign climes, nice to visit, but nicer still is to return to good old Blighty.

(Cue Land of Hope and Glory.)

We'll both end up in the dock now for thread wandering...except I mentioned dock, so we're back on track.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 20:06   #146

Both my teacher and her mum have done jury service, they say it's not as good as people say it is. It's still nice to think that you've got the power!!
Old 14-05-2008, 20:12   #147
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Both my teacher and her mum have done jury service, they say it's not as good as people say it is. It's still nice to think that you've got the power!!
To do what........wait in a tea room until you are called.
You would be one of twelve who expressed an opinion on the evidence presented...........The presiding judge is the one with the power.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 20:55   #148
God Member

[quote=Bagpuss;576213]Day 1
Everything you said is true 10 mins seems like an hour ect. Arrived 9.15 sat in that room till 1pm and told to go for a lunch break (A BREAK FROM WHAT?) until 2pm. Came back and was told there would be a trial and they need 18 to select 12 from the 30 of us, I was not one and was told I could go, it felt like I was being released from prison.

Day 2
Exactly the same, the 12 who where picked from day 1 where in and out all morning but the 18 who where left had nothing to do until they said a trial could happen in the afternoon. You don't whether to laugh or cry, the carrot of getting out early was there but the chance to do what they are paying you for was there also. In the end the trial never happened and we where sent home at 2.45pm. I don't know how much more of the boredom I can take, I had a haircut on my way home so it would stop me pulling it out.(Quote)

Oh, Bagpuss. I had hoped things would be different for you.

I didn't want you to have the same lousy experience that I had with jury service.

I do hope you get on a trial at some point and don't spend your whole fortnight waiting in that God awful room.

If anyone gets the dreaded summons through your door please do all you can to get out of it.
Old 14-05-2008, 22:11   #149
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Day 3
Sat around from 10 till 12, bored stupid, the two early trials never happened so that just left one and it was going ahead so the 20 of us that where left from the previous day went down to the court. They shuffled the cards with our names on and mine came out 3rd, yes, I sat down in my seat ready to pledge the oath. The judge asked if we knew anyone in court and I have to admit I think I recognised one of the defendants from Accrington but the name didn't ring a bell, then he read out the witnesses and one just happened to be a guy I knew, in fact I'd seen him this morning on my way to court. I had to report both of these facts and they took me off the jury and sent me and the others who had not been chosen home at 1pm. To be honest after finding out the crime was from my area I was a bit relieved not to be involved but I would still have done my bit if I had to.
We where told to ring the court at 4pm to see if we where need Thursday which we are so there's a chance I might see some action tomorrow but the thought of spending anymore time in the waiting room fills me with dread.

Garinda, the crimes and trials are there it just seems that the barristers are good at making sure public money is not wasted on silly trials or that's what we have been told.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 22:14   #150
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Day 3
Sat around from 10 till 12, bored stupid, the two early trials never happened so that just left one and it was going ahead so the 20 of us that where left from the previous day went down to the court. They shuffled the cards with our names on and mine came out 3rd, yes, I sat down in my seat ready to pledge the oath. The judge asked if we knew anyone in court and I have to admit I think I recognised one of the defendants from Accrington but the name didn't ring a bell, then he read out the witnesses and one just happened to be a guy I knew, in fact I'd seen him this morning on my way to court. I had to report both of these facts and they took me off the jury and sent me and the others who had not been chosen home at 1pm. To be honest after finding out the crime was from my area I was a bit relieved not to be involved but I would still have done my bit if I had to.
We where told to ring the court at 4pm to see if we where need Thursday which we are so there's a chance I might see some action tomorrow but the thought of spending anymore time in the waiting room fills me with dread.

Garinda, the crimes and trials are there it just seems that the barristers are good at making sure public money is not wasted on silly trials or that's what we have been told.
OMG You finally get the chance to go to trial!! then it turns out you know the person That is totally bloody unlucky!! poor you, hope tomoz is better for you BP

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..