Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2008, 22:20   #16
God Member

Re: Jury Service??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I would like to sit in on a high profile murder trial. I'm not interested in sitting in on a shoplifting or pub brawl case.

Unfortunately I was not born when Hindley and Brady were dealt with.

I was at school when the James Bulger trial took place.

I couldn't get the time off work to go to Preston to Harold Shipman's trial

It was too far and too expensive to get to the old Bailey for the Soham trial.

Should there be any more serious murder trials held at Preston I will go if I can.
So its just about being a high profile murder trial? Any particular reason?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2008, 22:25   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
So its just about being a high profile murder trial? Any particular reason?
I'd just like to see what goes on at these trials. How they are questioned, what questions are asked, what evidence is shown etc.
Old 17-01-2008, 22:27   #18
God Member

One chap I worked with was forever being called - must have been 4 times that I remember -and once got excused because he knew the charged person.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 22:28   #19
God Member

Never been asked to sit on a jury and not sure if I would want to!!

have been to Burnley Crown court as a witness, and they showed me round the court, explained what I should expect when called etc...

Luckily both defendants pleaded guilty so never got to say my piece

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 22:33   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I'd just like to see what goes on at these trials. How they are questioned, what questions are asked, what evidence is shown etc.
Well I believe some committee or other is trying to move towards trials being shown on television. Maybe some day in the near future you'll be able to watch without leaving the comfort of your own home
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 22:35   #21
God Member

A girl I was at school with got called about two weeks after her 18th birthday. My Grandma did it once and my brother in law got called a few months back but I've never been called.

I've been told that it can be incredibly boring as there's a lot of waiting around, so if you do ever get called, take a couple of books with you!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 22:54   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Was called for Jury service in 1982, was pregnant with my son and the Expected Day of Arrival was that week. I was excused, as suppose they didn't fancy me going into labour during a case ....
LOl .. just had a thought.. he was born the week before, would I have been allowed to breast feed him in court ? Even if older .. ? What would be the ruling ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 22:56   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
LOl .. just had a thought.. he was born the week before, would I have been allowed to breast feed him in court ? Even if older .. ? What would be the ruling ..
well if i had been the judge=YEH
Old 17-01-2008, 22:59   #24
Give, give, give member

I did jury service when I lived in London. It was the time Barry George was to be tried for the murder of Jill Dando, and I was convinced I was going to be called for that, but would've be ineligible because she had been a customer of mine. I was also worried I'd miss my holiday.

I ended up doing two trials, one each week. The first was an aggravated burglary, and was quite straightforward, as he was as guilty as sin.

The second trial was a woman accused of GBH on a camera woman from SKY, who was filming Prince Andrew's visit to the London Eye. The woman and her two grown up children were trying to get to the ferry to Greenwich, which her kids had booked for her birthday treat.

I was elected foreman of the jury. Basically all eleven of the other jurors thought the woman was guilty beyond reasonable doubt, and I thought she was innocent.

We had to tell the judge we couldn't reach a majority verdict, then I had to stand up and tell the court we'd found her guilty. It was one of the hardest things I've had to do, and I felt like shouting out to the woman that I believed her!

The strangest thing about jury service is the seperation. You are kept away from anyone to do with your trial, you even eat in a seperate juror's dining room. Seperate that is until a recess is called. Then if you're a smoker you find yourself outside having a fag with the accused and all the witnesses.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 23:02   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

see ya been n awkward get from way back.
Old 17-01-2008, 23:38   #26

i would love to be called up for jury service as i am a nosy person.
would love it to be something very serious like a murder trial.
Old 18-01-2008, 06:46   #27
Resting in Peace

I have done jury service 6 times upto now 2 in Preston and 4 in Burnley
i have been jury foreman 3 times .
it can be very boring you might be picked for jury service but there is no guarantee you will get on a jury.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 07:32   #28
Resident Waffler

It's odd how some people get called loads of times and others are never called at all. I wonder how they do the selecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

I was elected foreman of the jury. Basically all eleven of the other jurors thought the woman was guilty beyond reasonable doubt, and I thought she was innocent.

We had to tell the judge we couldn't reach a majority verdict, then I had to stand up and tell the court we'd found her guilty. It was one of the hardest things I've had to do, and I felt like shouting out to the woman that I believed her!
That must have been awful. I would have found it almost impossible to tell the court we'd reached a guilty verdict when I personally didn't feel it was the right verdict. Couldn't you have done a Jimmy Stewart and convinced the rest of them?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 10:09   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It's odd how some people get called loads of times and others are never called at all. I wonder how they do the selecting.

That must have been awful. I would have found it almost impossible to tell the court we'd reached a guilty verdict when I personally didn't feel it was the right verdict. Couldn't you have done a Jimmy Stewart and convinced the rest of them?
I spent hours and hours trying to convince them that there was more than reasonable doubt about her guilt.

Frighteningly the other jurors that she was 'posh', and that literally prejudiced them as to her motive, hence their verdict.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 10:43   #30

If your selected are there limits as to where you might travel as it might be considered to far to travel, say the Old Bailey from example from up here?

Might you only attend cases say in northwest england for example and what about expenses do you get reimbursed, does your employer have to pay your wages still?

I wouldn't like to do it, not sure why just wouldn't like to do so, but I don't think you have any choice without good reason.

James1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..