Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-01-2008, 11:54   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Jury Service??

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Frighteningly the other jurors that she was 'posh', and that literally prejudiced them as to her motive, hence their verdict.
Now that IS very sad indeed.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-01-2008, 20:45   #32
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I wonder if any AccyWebbers ever have served on a jury - none on this thread so far.
I've just been called up for a second time, last time I wasn't needed, don't really want to do it this time but I don't have a choice.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 20:54   #33
Accy Red

[quote=garinda;518661]and that literally prejudiced them/quote]
I'm sure I won't have a problem with that, I will listen to all the evidence and make my decision but if the defendant is a muslim from M&S who knows

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 18-01-2008, 21:17   #34

Had to do jury service at Burnley Crown Court a few years ago. I was picked to be on a jury and found it interesting. Some of course did not get picked and just sat in a waiting room reading magazines all week, they must have been bloody bored stiff.
Old 18-01-2008, 21:22   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Had to do jury service at Burnley Crown Court a few years ago. I was picked to be on a jury and found it interesting. Some of course did not get picked and just sat in a waiting room reading magazines all week, they must have been bloody bored stiff.
What sort of case were you a juror on?
Old 18-01-2008, 21:32   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
What sort of case were you a juror on?
I managed to be picked for 2 cases that week. The first one was basically a domestic issue. The bloke was up for assaulting his wife, transpired she did not even let him in the house on the night in question, she had pulled the telephone out of its socket and was seen swinging it around her head at the husband. She hit him too, should really have been him trying to get her done…we let him off

Second case was alleged child molestation by a father of five. Mum and Dad were separated, mum reckoned dad was doing stuff when just one of the kids visited…we let him off too
Old 18-01-2008, 21:56   #37
God Member

Was on a jury last year , the guy was up for scamming and theft , taking vehicles into the garage with false registration plates for new rims and tires and later going back after the place had closed for the day with a set of spare keys and 'collecting' the vehicle, after two weeks were were ready to accquit through lack of evidence but he changed his plea to guilty , seemed a bit odd to us .
We were told later why two of the main witnesses were unavailable , the garage employee had been found shot to death outside his home and the arresting police officer had died after being involved in a road accident , (his motor cycle had been run off the road) , since these happened in a different jurisdiction we were not allowed to be told any of this during the trial and he hadn't at the time been charged with any involvement the two incidents , been nothing in the papers since .
Interesting experience though
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 22:08   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I've just been called up for a second time, last time I wasn't needed, don't really want to do it this time but I don't have a choice.
Well we can rest assured that justice will be done in your fair and impartial hands!!!!!!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 22:23   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1234 View Post
If your selected are there limits as to where you might travel as it might be considered to far to travel, say the Old Bailey from example from up here?

Might you only attend cases say in northwest england for example and what about expenses do you get reimbursed, does your employer have to pay your wages still?

I wouldn't like to do it, not sure why just wouldn't like to do so, but I don't think you have any choice without good reason.
I think you are selected to serve at your nearest Crown Court.

Travel costs are reimbursed, and you get an allowance for refeshments.

If you are likely to lose income by being called for jury service, you can claim back that cost too.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 22:26   #40
Give, give, give member

I had a hoot.

We went to the pub every afternoon/evening, after we were dismissed, and I made some really good friends.

Very often we'd be in the same pub as the witnesses and the accused, which was a bit surreal.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 22:34   #41
God Member

I believe that if you get called you have to be there for a minimum of two weeks and might never get called into a court room but equally you could get called in to be a juror on your last day there and you have to see out the whole trial - however long it takes!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 07:00   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think you are selected to serve at your nearest Crown Court.

Travel costs are reimbursed, and you get an allowance for refeshments.

If you are likely to lose income by being called for jury service, you can claim back that cost too.
Sorry Garinda this is not true my dad was called for Jury service when we lived in Preston and he had to travel to Lancaster Castle every day for 6 weeks for a case.
you do get all your costs back though and if you work for a good firm they will pay you wages as there is no way out of doing jury service you can defur it a few months but in the end you have to do it.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 07:13   #43
Resting in Peace

I have had some good cases and some stupid cases that should never have got to crown court
the first time was in Preston on a murder case
the second time was over 1 can of larger stolen from a shop yes its true
next was when i moved to Accrington
so was at Burnley
this was a child abuse case the accused looked the image of jim bowen
next time was a burglary
the next was an assult in the street in Colne
the last time i was on jury service i was not on a case till thursday then got picked for a murder case but there was a legal problem and they had to pick the jury again and i was not one that was picked next time
but on friday i got on a theft from a shop case.
it you have not been picked for a case they will normally let you leave about 2pm
but must be back at 9am the next day for at least 10 days

just a note if your picked for a case and the judge thinks it will be a long case then he will ask you if you can sit through it or if you have other things like hospital or holidays booked if you have they will step you down and pick a new jury member.

Last edited by Mick; 19-01-2008 at 07:16.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 07:17   #44
God Member

Been called twice now , the first was a bit boring , i was only young and not interested, the second was a bit more interesting but unless its high profile case it can be a bit long winded.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 08:15   #45
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Well we can rest assured that justice will be done in your fair and impartial hands!!!!!!
Exactly, it's good to see you're thinking along the same lines as me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..