Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011, 05:05   #46
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Just fancied a few chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
oi be'ave you lot. just moved back from n.wales (llandudno) and i've never had a problem anywhere in wales. always been more than accommodating
That's because you had your own sheep & wasn't trying to nick one of the locals girlfriends.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:05   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
That'd be around Lake Garda then....
With towels on the sunbeds
Old 11-11-2011, 09:11   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
This is nothing new. Many years ago, about 30 I think, we had the misfortune to be in LLandudno where we decided to stop for something to eat. There were about six of us, we decided to have fish and chips and queued up in a chippy, when we got to the counter I ordered six portions of fish and chips. "Sorry" was the reply "We've no fish left". There just happened to be about 6 or 8 fish in the warmer. "What are these then?" we asked. "Oh They're reserved for the locals." replied the charming Welsh gentleman. I won't repeat the advice we gave him.
Many years ago we were working in a pub in the welsh valleys, fitting a bar in the function room, when he knocked of for the night we called into the snug for a drink (the pub was out in the country) when we went in there were about 6 farm workers having a quiet drink, when we walked in the stopped talking in English and started talking welsh, my mate went to the bar, said to the barman two pints of bitter please and one for those ignorant bastards over their
Old 11-11-2011, 09:12   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Me n mate had a similar thing when we called in a pub one early evening on Anglesey mid 60s, we ordered 2 pints of bitter n immediately all the pub including the barman switched to Welsh, couldn't understand us, big mistake,as we just reverted to Liverpool backslang n nicely gave em a real gobfull.
Looks like it was a regular event cashy, then they wonder why nobody likes um
Old 11-11-2011, 09:14   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
That's because you had your own sheep & wasn't trying to nick one of the locals girlfriends.
Na Dave me probably wasn't wearing wellies
Old 11-11-2011, 14:46   #51

Some 7 years ago,my wife and I were touring in Britain.finding it difficult to get a b&b in Caernavon,we moved on to Llanfair PG(don,t anyone dare ask me to give you the full name).We found a pub opposite the railway station,booked in ,then decided to have a few drinks.Naturally I asked for the drinks in English.There was a pregnant pause whilst all the people who had been speaking English when we came in,switched to Welsh and we were ignored.We did eventually get a drink,but we certainly weren.t made welcome there

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 13:38   #52
Senior Member+

i did respond to this however there seems to be an issue with communicating in welsh!

perhaps you go to wales with an anti welsh attitude but from personal experience, treat us right and we treat you right! respect our country, it's traditions and it's language(s) and we will respect you. I do however understand that there is a minority of welsh people who do have some kind of chip on their shoulder re: the english (can't possibly think why! ;-) )
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 15:49   #53
Give, give, give member

Quote:
i did respond to this however there seems to be an issue with communicating in welsh!

perhaps you go to wales with an anti welsh attitude but from personal experience, treat us right and we treat you right! respect our country, it's traditions and it's language(s) and we will respect you. I do however understand that there is a minority of welsh people who do have some kind of chip on their shoulder re: the english (can't possibly think why! ;-) )
I'm a full quarter Welsh, and am a direct descendent of Owain Glyndŵr, and proud of it.

I tend to treat everyone with respect, initially.

I've seen open racism in Wales, just as I have in Kenya, Germany, England, and lots of other places too.

Just because something's not been seen, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

I've never seen a duck-billed platypus, but I do believe others, who say they do actually exist.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 15:53   #54
Senior Member+

agreed it does exist - as i pointed out, however i also pointed out that it is a minority
Old 13-11-2011, 15:58   #55
Give, give, give member

Quote:
agreed it does exist - as i pointed out, however i also pointed out that it is a minority
Agreed. Like many other places, the Welsh onanists are thankfully few.

Old 13-11-2011, 16:06   #56
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Agreed. Like many other places, the Welsh onanists are thankfully few.
Because there's an abundance of Sheep (Sorry, it was just so deserving, you can't let a line like that go begging )
Old 13-11-2011, 16:07   #57
Senior Member+

btw talented here it is in full, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysili ogogogoch

or 'the church of mary in the hollow of the white hazel by the fierce whirlpool and the church of tysilio by the red cave'!

originally two villages, amalgamated into one as a publicity stunt in the 1800's with the aim of getting people off the trains while they waited at the station. also home to britains first women's institute
Old 13-11-2011, 16:11   #58
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I thought there was something about lilies & ponds in there too ?
Old 13-11-2011, 16:12   #59
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysili ogogogoch
...and you've just gone and split them up again, after all that time together.

Shame on you!

Old 13-11-2011, 17:31   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Probably more prevalent in the valleys than anywhere, that's where I came across it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..