Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2011, 17:40   #61

Re: Just fancied a few chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Probably more prevalent in the valleys than anywhere, that's where I came across it
Nah....have experienced the same thing at Dollgellau and points east.
Have never experienced it in my fav place in Wales.....Tenby (but then,Pembrokeshire is often cited as "little England beyond Wales")

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2011, 17:44   #62
Beacon of light

I have been to Wales many times.......and while years ago I noted that people did speak in Welsh if English people came into the shop....I don't see it much now. Maybe it is because I am not really interested in their topic of conversation.
Anyway, Ma learned to speak Welsh so that she could converse with them and that works wonders...it really does.
I have no quarrel with people who want to keep their conversations from my ears....I just wish those on public transport with mobile phones could do something similar.

Owain Glyndwr....what happened to him? He was a mercenary and when the English were beating the tar out of the Welsh hill folk he fought for the English.
then the Welsh stumped up and offered him more cash than the English were paying him, so he changed sides.
No-one knows what happened to him...there are stories that he escaped to Ireland to live the quiet life of a farmer....there are stories that he was killed in battle.He promised that if ever Wales was in trouble he would return and rescue them........where was he in the recent Rugby World Cup?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 17:44   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow View Post
Nah....have experienced the same thing at Dollgellau and points east.
Have never experienced it in my fav place in Wales.....Tenby (but then,Pembrokeshire is often cited as "little England beyond Wales")

Tale
Tendy is a holiday resort, it would be suicide if they did the welsh language tripe there
Old 13-11-2011, 18:58   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have been to Wales many times.......and while years ago I noted that people did speak in Welsh if English people came into the shop....I don't see it much now. Maybe it is because I am not really interested in their topic of conversation.
Anyway, Ma learned to speak Welsh so that she could converse with them and that works wonders...it really does.
I have no quarrel with people who want to keep their conversations from my ears....I just wish those on public transport with mobile phones could do something similar.

Owain Glyndwr....what happened to him? He was a mercenary and when the English were beating the tar out of the Welsh hill folk he fought for the English.
then the Welsh stumped up and offered him more cash than the English were paying him, so he changed sides.
No-one knows what happened to him...there are stories that he escaped to Ireland to live the quiet life of a farmer....there are stories that he was killed in battle.He promised that if ever Wales was in trouble he would return and rescue them........where was he in the recent Rugby World Cup?

quite simply no-one knows although there are several twists to the legend including the apparition to the abbot of valle crucis at llangollen (who went on to travel the length and breadth of wales telling the stories of owain and also predicted the coming of the tudor monarchy)
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 19:08   #65
Beacon of light

Yes, I recently visited Llangollen and we journeyed back to Llandudno via Corwen, St Asaph and Ruthin......we saw the statue of Owain Glyndwr on horseback in the square at Corwen....we were told that this statue is a recent acqusition as the previous one was ugly.
I liked the myths and legends that we were entertained with...we were even told that Owain may have ended his days in Kent posing as a friar....yet some say he is buried in Corwen. Great stuff.
Old 13-11-2011, 19:20   #66
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Owain Glyndŵr.

I said I'm a quarter Welsh, which is true.

I didn't say I was a direct descendent of Owain Glyndŵr through my Welsh line.

In truth, even more shamefully, it was through one Marmaduke Beckwith...a Yorkshireman.

That's a big race cross to bear, being a mulatto

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 19:30   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes, I recently visited Llangollen and we journeyed back to Llandudno via Corwen, St Asaph and Ruthin......we saw the statue of Owain Glyndwr on horseback in the square at Corwen....we were told that this statue is a recent acqusition as the previous one was ugly.
I liked the myths and legends that we were entertained with...we were even told that Owain may have ended his days in Kent posing as a friar....yet some say he is buried in Corwen. Great stuff.

i believe another is that he ended his days in herefordshire at one of the homes owned by the husband of one of his daughters
Old 13-11-2011, 20:10   #68
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
i believe another is that he ended his days in herefordshire at one of the homes owned by the husband of one of his daughters
That one would probably be more plausible.
Old 13-11-2011, 20:17   #69
Beacon of light

He had five sons and is reputed to have had five daughters......daughters Janet and Margaret both married well...to knights.
Janet married Sir John de Croft and went to live at Croft Castle.Margaret married Sir Richard Monnington....both of these daughters lived in herefordshire.

See I was listening to the history lesson on the coach.
Old 13-11-2011, 20:57   #70
Senior Member+

must have had a local driver then!
Old 13-11-2011, 21:13   #71
Beacon of light

No, the driver who took us out on this trip was from Yorkshire....but he had been doing the trip for years.
Our regular driver, who had a day off that day was a local......born and bred in Old Colwyn.
He was equally knowledgeable and I enjoyed his commentaries very much(though some of the oldies said they wished he would shut up for a bit....I think they wanted to sleep).
I like historical detail of the places I am visiting. I just wish they had taught history in this manner when I was at school...I would certainly have learned more.
Old 13-11-2011, 21:42   #72
Senior Member+

me too, i learned more history from being a coach driver than i ever did in school, and found i really enjoyed it especially welsh history which is never taught in schools and of course all the myths and legends also.
Old 13-11-2011, 21:57   #73
Give, give, give member

Quote:
He had five sons and is reputed to have had five daughters......daughters Janet and Margaret both married well...to knights.
Janet married Sir John de Croft and went to live at Croft Castle.Margaret married Sir Richard Monnington....both of these daughters lived in herefordshire.

See I was listening to the history lesson on the coach.
It was his daughter Alys ferch Owain Glyndŵr (Alice) who was an anscestor of our Marmaduke Beckwith.

I like him, warts and all.

No one's perfect.

Old 14-11-2011, 08:50   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Owain Glyndŵr.

I said I'm a quarter Welsh, which is true.

I didn't say I was a direct descendent of Owain Glyndŵr through my Welsh line.

In truth, even more shamefully, it was through one Marmaduke Beckwith...a Yorkshireman.

That's a big race cross to bear, being a mulatto

A Yorkshireman
Old 14-11-2011, 08:57   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
A Yorkshireman
Wish it was a shame I live under, that I hadn't gone public with.

Weakens my stance, the next time I accuse Yorkshiremen of being a dour, and humourless lot of tight wads.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..