Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011, 17:48   #286
Senior Member+

Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Why has this thread turned into personal attacks. Just because someone does not agree with you, you do not need to resort to character assassination.
I could not agree more with Jay, have seen the effects of hard drugs on friends and there is a good reason why it is illegal.
To be fair I got hammered on the local rocket fuel here in khazakstan last night and have no after effects.
Let's play the game and not the player
Personal Attacks, Character Assassination?

I presume this is aimed at me? if so can you explain where the above has taken place?

We where discussing Soft Drugs (Cannabis)/ Vs Alcohol and IMO the chances of becoming a Hard Drug Addict or Alcoholic are about the same its down to the individual.

My total rubbish statement was aimed at the fact Jaysays comment that
"How do I know because I have never come accross an alcholic who drank only beer" (IMO 10 pints of beer a day every day is Alcoholism/Alcoholic).

Also the Comment -"Ya but drug addicts don't work hard do they" I bet the City Boys on Good money and celebs ect, are sniffing Coke left right & centre.

I have also seen the effects of Alcohol on friends and there is a good reason why it is legal.

And BG I always play the game.
Old 11-05-2011, 17:55   #287
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Total Rubbish. Where do you get this information from.
University pal, the University of life, somewhere you seem to have been nowhere near
Old 12-05-2011, 04:54   #288
JFT96

For the record I was not referring to any one person.
If you read through the last few pages it seem like there has been
some hangbags at Dawn.
That's not exactly cricket

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:52   #289
Resting in Peace

Think this sums up Mr D exactly
Old 12-05-2011, 12:29   #290
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
For the record I was not referring to any one person.
If you read through the last few pages it seem like there has been
some hangbags at Dawn.
That's not exactly cricket
Read most of the replies to my posts alot dont play cricket.
Old 12-05-2011, 13:28   #291
Beacon of light

Any substance is dangerous if used in the wrong way......even water......you can die from water intoxication, though it isn't common.
I am from a nursing background and regularly saw young people who had smoked cannabis, suffering from mental illness.......yes I also saw folk who had misused alcohol and had liver disease.......and I'm not being 'fly' when I say this....you can get a liver transplant(OK, it isn't the easiest thing in the world, and in my opinion, it shouldn't happen if the disease is alcohol induced)......this type of mental illness can only be managed.

Ask me if I would use cannabis for recreational purposes and the answer would be 'absolutely not'.......I drink alcohol very rarely too.

it is,(again, my opinion only) people with sad lives and poor imaginations who need to rely on recreational drugs to get their 'highs' in life.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 17:56   #292
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Any substance is dangerous if used in the wrong way......even water......you can die from water intoxication, though it isn't common.
I am from a nursing background and regularly saw young people who had smoked cannabis, suffering from mental illness.......yes I also saw folk who had misused alcohol and had liver disease.......and I'm not being 'fly' when I say this....you can get a liver transplant(OK, it isn't the easiest thing in the world, and in my opinion, it shouldn't happen if the disease is alcohol induced)......this type of mental illness can only be managed.

Ask me if I would use cannabis for recreational purposes and the answer would be 'absolutely not'.......I drink alcohol very rarely too.

it is,(again, my opinion only) people with sad lives and poor imaginations who need to rely on recreational drugs to get their 'highs' in life.
Think your last statement says it all Margaret
Old 14-05-2011, 13:42   #293
Senior Member+

Quote:

Can you be 100% sure the mental illness was from the cannabis though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think your last statement says it all Margaret
Would you class alchol as a drug and include this in the statement.

A lot of "Legal Substances" could be seen to give a "high". Caffine, Tobacco.
Old 14-05-2011, 14:01   #294
Beacon of light

Quote:
Can you be 100% sure the mental illness was from the cannabis though?

Would you class alchol as a drug and include this in the statement.

A lot of "Legal Substances" could be seen to give a "high". Caffine, Tobacco.

Well, you know that no-one can be 100% sure of very many things in life........all I can say was that in the patients that I came into contact with, there was no history or evidence of mental illness before they started using recreational drugs.

I have stated my opinion on alcohol....and I have already said that even water can be dangerous if it is misused.

Tobacco is addictive but the government make lots of money from the taxation of this product....so although they pay a lot of lip service to getting people to stop using it, they don't really mind if they don't.......the same with alcohol.

As for Caffeine, it is relatively innocuous........you would have to drink an awful lot of coffee, tea or cola to suffer any serious or lasting effects(unless you are allergic to it).
People always throw in the comments about alcohol, tobacco and less frequently caffeine.........but they are just red herings in the argument about the use of recreational drugs.....some of the newer ones we aren't sure of the long term effects, or the efffects on future generations.
The use of drugs(even soft drugs) is strongly linked to other criminal behaviour.

If you think these drugs are so safe. let me ask you this....would you let your children use them?
We let children drink Tea and coffee and cola drinks.
As I say, I base my opinions on what I have seen in a long nursing career, not necessarily research papers, because I know that reseach can be skewed to say what the researcher wants it to prove.
Old 16-05-2011, 12:33   #295
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well, you know that no-one can be 100% sure of very many things in life........all I can say was that in the patients that I came into contact with, there was no history or evidence of mental illness before they started using recreational drugs.

I have stated my opinion on alcohol....and I have already said that even water can be dangerous if it is misused.

Tobacco is addictive but the government make lots of money from the taxation of this product....so although they pay a lot of lip service to getting people to stop using it, they don't really mind if they don't.......the same with alcohol.

As for Caffeine, it is relatively innocuous........you would have to drink an awful lot of coffee, tea or cola to suffer any serious or lasting effects(unless you are allergic to it).
People always throw in the comments about alcohol, tobacco and less frequently caffeine.........but they are just red herings in the argument about the use of recreational drugs.....some of the newer ones we aren't sure of the long term effects, or the efffects on future generations.
The use of drugs(even soft drugs) is strongly linked to other criminal behaviour.

If you think these drugs are so safe. let me ask you this....would you let your children use them?
We let children drink Tea and coffee and cola drinks.
As I say, I base my opinions on what I have seen in a long nursing career, not necessarily research papers, because I know that reseach can be skewed to say what the researcher wants it to prove.
As Usual Margaret a brilliant reply all be it we dont agree certain points.

Caffeine, is now not just in coffee ect you can get super energy drinks. with 500 milligrams of caffeine in. Just for the Children.

I would let my chldren do what they like when they are at suitable age - 18+. (I May advise but never command). Education is the key with the kids.

As for recreational drugs I would only put Cannabis in this area and thats been around for a Long, Long Time, I have NO interest in the other Class A (Man Made) drugs. Alcohol is NO red Hering its dangeress (IMO).
Old 16-05-2011, 12:46   #296
Beacon of light

I am pleased you think my answer is a good one, and I do not expect anyone to agree with my point of view. We are all exposed to experiences in life, these are the things that make us have the views we possess....views can change too, as our experiences change.
My views were formed as a result of a long time in the profession I chose to follow, and are carefully considered.(I wish I could package these experiences and give them out freely to teenagers who are tempted by the drug culture.....by the temptation of what they see as a safe 'high')

Yes, I am aware of the drinks that are supposed to give you a lift.......and as far as I am aware they are not suitable for children.

You are also right about education being the Key.......but you fail to mention that children, even those who are educated to the risks, sometimes will take those risks because of either peer pressure, or they feel(much like a road accident)...that won't happen to me.

I have(in my work) seen people who have started off on Cannabis and then progressed to 'hard' drugs......and their lives have taken a downward spiral.

Parents have a big influence in how their children face the dangers that the world holds, by how they(the parents) behave.
And Yes, I do know that you can be good parents and you can see your child make decisions that you have no control over, which are harmful to their life.....and which they didn't learn at home. When that happens you just have to be there for them, but tough love is required....and that is the hardest part.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 16-05-2011 at 12:53.
Old 16-05-2011, 17:22   #297
Senior Member+

You right about the energy drinks, not for children, but I have heard thats its becoming popular with them.

Peer presure is a killer, I know I have cercumed to this myself and its very hard to be the odd one out, BUT I would hope/wish that when my kids are older they have already been educated enough to make the right desicion or atleast know what to expect and how to stay safe and be comfortable to talk to me about it.

All drugs/Alcohol could be seen to lead to stronger things.

I have a argument that Alcohol (Going Out) would lead to stronger drugs more than smoking cannabis would.

Just to re add - I do not wish drugs, Inc Cannabis to be Legalised. Just to be looked at in a more pro active way.
Old 16-05-2011, 17:40   #298
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You right about the energy drinks, not for children, but I have heard thats its becoming popular with them.

Peer presure is a killer, I know I have cercumed to this myself and its very hard to be the odd one out, BUT I would hope/wish that when my kids are older they have already been educated enough to make the right desicion or atleast know what to expect and how to stay safe and be comfortable to talk to me about it.

All drugs/Alcohol could be seen to lead to stronger things.

I have a argument that Alcohol (Going Out) would lead to stronger drugs more than smoking cannabis would.

Just to re add - I do not wish drugs, Inc Cannabis to be Legalised. Just to be looked at in a more pro active way.
What are you on
Old 16-05-2011, 17:44   #299
Beacon of light

The only advantage for the user of hard drugs, to them being legalised is that these drugs would not be 'cut' with stuff like vim or talcum powder....this would make them less hazardous, but just as addictive, therefore just as dangerous.......and if they were legalised then the government would surely put a hefty tax on them.
The other apsect would be that it would take dealers out of the loop......but I am not convinced that this would lead to less criminal activity.....users would still need to fund their habit.

Educate your children well, and tell them it is better to be a monkey than a sheep(that is....don't follow the herd......think and act for yourself, not because your crowd want you to do what they are doing).
I do hope that makes sense.
Old 16-05-2011, 17:46   #300
Beacon of light

John, I'm not on anything other than leaf tea...strong, hot and sweet(just how I like my men......that'll get Mancie at it )and an occasional biscuit!
I have enough stuff in my life to keep me high.

And Yes, I do know your question wasn't directed at me...but I couldn't help it!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..