Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-11-2006, 00:01   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Life after death, (its been done before)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Sorry put it like that I have to believe you, you didn't happen to get her name did you?
cant remember,talkin late 60s.
Old 27-11-2006, 00:11   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Do you know what you said to her?
from what i can remember willow,its very vague nearly 40 years on,i was talking about paris and some cafe on the left bank, also about a cathedral in bolongne the notre damn i had never visited france or been abroad at that time either, but i went a couple of years after.
Old 27-11-2006, 00:18   #33
Resting in peace

Looking at life and death from one dimension is like watching black and white television, we should not discount the things we feel and sometimes witness but do not understand, as it is one of the mysteries of our stay on earth, we have met before? i've been here before?, havent I?, no it is not the Merlot!
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 00:19   #34
Member.

I certainly believe that we pass in to another realm when we die, like a few on here I’m a spiritualist although it’s a mixture of both pagan and Christian values. I also believe that on earth we are guided although we don’t always hear or listen to those who are around us.

Like many I have witness many mediums give proof to those that seek it, and like many I have had messages that can’t be disputed by those who don’t really believe, I say can’t because when people who do not know you and who you have had no previous contact with, tell you intimate details about people who have passed or details of you own life that other could not possibly have known you run out of excuses not to believe.

Like anywhere you get good and bad in the church and in people, who exploit mediumship to better themselves rather than help others, but the movement works to combat these through the Church and its main body the Spiritualists' National Union.

Passing is part of our journey through life, we may have one earthly existence or many, like us, spirits people come in all shapes and sizes and on the whole have work to do on the other side, that’s why our loved ones haven’t always got time to hang around us, they have already been here and learnt from it.

I also believe that some spirits dwell on earth in an effort to change the direction of those who take a darker path through life, but we must keep in mind that man wanted and got free will, that’s why a lot of the **** still happens in our lives, we can change our direction on the passing of a thought or by committing a good deed rather than a bad one. We all do it. Ask yourself if you do it enough. And yes, I believe in the existence and the presence of Angels.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 10:32   #35
Resident Waffler

Similar to the feeling of having been somewhere before when you know you haven't, have any of you ever met someone for the first time yet know that you know them? That's happened to me a few times.

I agree with you on one thing there Doug that when our loved ones have passed on they may be too busy doing whatever they are doing there to give back here a second thought. It isn't that they don't care about us. I think time is different too, a bit like Narnia in comparison to here.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 12:58   #36
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Life after death, (its been done before)

Life after death is a myth perpetrated by religions in an attempt to keep their followers in check or to do the religious leaders bidding.

If no one believed in “Life After Death”, how many suicide bombers would there be? Not too many I would suggest. If no one believed in “Life After Death” how many wars would be fought?

So I don’t believe in “Life After Death” in the classic sense.

However my body functions because of coordinating commands from my brain (the least understood organ in the human body) and those commands are transmitted using electrical and chemical energy. The operative word there being energy.

Energy cannot be created or destroyed only changed from one form to another. Thus when I die the energy animating my body cannot just disappear. I half believe that when I die the energy leaves my body to join with and mix into Universal energy to be used in part or whole to animate a newly formed body. This could explain how some people ‘remember’ past lives or have knowledge of places that they have never seen or heard of before because more than a tiny amount of previous energy from one person is used to animate another.

Maybe it is this ‘energy’ that some people refer to as the soul?
Old 27-11-2006, 13:31   #37
Give, give, give member

Come from generations of Methodists. Went to Church and Sunday School until the age of sixteen, and glad of that fact. Had a road to Damascus conversion, but in reverse, at sixteen. Am now quite happily an Atheist.

Hopefully respect people's religious beliefs, and understand why mankind from the dawn of time need to believe in something greater than life itself. I don't, and therefore don't belive in anything after life ends.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 14:07   #38
Beacon of light

I believe in life after death.....or at least the existence of our spirits beyond the grave. My nursing background meant that I have seen quite a few people take their last breath....and things happened that convince me that we do go on.

Also, and you can believe me, or not (it is your choice)......some four and a half years ago my mother was diagnosed with a very uncommom cancer.
I nursed her and was in the unenviable position of telling her the diagnosis.......we didn't know what the prognosis would be.
Ma took the news very stoically......I was fine while I had my uniform on.....but once I got home and changed into mufti.....I was wrecked.
I came upstairs to try to distract myself with some work I was doing on the computer for work. I switched on the machine and the blue screen came on and in a little box in the middle of the screen was the message 'I'm here'.......and in the room was a very definite smell of cigarette smoke.
The message stayed on the screen for no more than 5 or 6 seconds and then the operating system loaded as normal. My father who died some 10 years earlier did not believe in the after life, but I took that message to be from him.......he was very interested in electrical things...and he smoked.
No-one smokes in our house and that was the only conclusion that i could draw from these events. During my mothers treatments I would often come up here to my computer and 'feel' Dads presence and smell cigarette smoke.
Once Mum was better these kind of events no longer happened.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 15:47   #39
God Member

Can I just ask those that are into mediumship, why are the messages from the deceased, supposedly, from our loved ones so vague?
Old 27-11-2006, 16:18   #40
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Can I just ask those that are into mediumship, why are the messages from the deceased, supposedly, from our loved ones so vague?
It depends on the Medium. Some are very good, clear and concise, others aren’t. I understand that messages are like receiving a long distance phone call on a very bad line, meaning that the medium must work very hard to get the information through clearly, often messages are just a memory picked up form the spirit wishing to let a loved one know they are around. Some messages come by images put into the mediums mind which can be misinterpreted.

Some messages I have had have been work related, passing advice on how to proceed or not, often relaying back information that no one else could have know without someone (Spirit) being there.

Messages relating to family matters or intimate memories cannot really be disputed because only I and the person who had passed over could know about them. I have myself been shocked by the accuracy of the information.

All I would ever ask of anyone is not to go on first impressions, you need to see a few good mediums and be truthful with them to get a good message, be open and think hard about the information your been given, It is not always going to be a family member or close friend that comes through, some time it can even be a relative you never met or even knew you had. You often need to work with the information to get a clearer picture.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 27-11-2006, 17:46   #41
God Member

Thanks for your answer Doug, this subject has always interested me.

Just a few more questions

You say
Quote:
It is not always going to be a family member or close friend that comes through, some time it can even be a relative you never met or even knew you had.

If a great uncle twice removed (you get my point ) can come through with a message, that doesn't really make much sense immediately, why can't a close relative come through with a very clear, concise message?

I'm not denying some people have had un-disputable messages, Margaret Pilkingtons post was very inspiring, I hope it was message from her Father ... the main thing is though she herself felt comfort from whatever happened that day. So if our departed loved ones know we gain comfort from having them around us and can get messages to us, why do some people never hear from family members that have made pacts were when one passes over they will come back and let the surviving person know that their is more after we pass away?

Also, if spirits are around us and want us to know they are there, why is there no un-disputable photographic evidence? Some claim to have images of spirits, some claim to receive messages others claim to have felt spirits around them yet no-one can prove their existence.

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 27-11-2006 at 17:49.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 19:56   #42
Member.

OK, please understand this is my personal feeling on the matter and not a qualified response. You can’t just turn up and expect to get a clear and concise message; you yourself have to put some work in as well. Before you go to see a medium or a spiritualist church you must put some time aside to think of those you might want to hear from. Don’t think of silly things you want to ask, they have better things to do. If you are hurting for someone who has passed you’re much more likely to hear form them, but it’s not guaranteed.

More often with me it’s been my dad, my Grandma and my great, great grandfather who have communicated messages, mostly memories just to clarify that it is them, and I mean memories that only I can relate too, not just something pulled out of the air.

Often they are there around you, mostly in time of stress or pain, and you don’t need a medium for them to be with you, you just have to have a need. You don’t even need to know that they are there to receive healing, and healing can come in many forms. Including physical and mental health, comfort or in making a right decision, think of the times when you have faced difficulty and then just found the answer.

Why the hell should they do all the work for us. They have been here and done it, nobody helped them and they had it far harder than we will ever have it. It take a lot of energy for a spirit to communicate and often many will come together to get through to people, but please accept that they aren’t there for us to have an easy passage through life, we are here to learn from our lives on earth. And take this to heart; if we knew for certain what lay ahead, we would be topping ourselves left, right and centre.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 27-11-2006, 20:24   #43
God Member

Ahhh well, cheers Doug. I can't say personally I've ever felt spirits of loved ones around me, not even in times of dire need. I've also seen a few mediums but have never received even a vaguely recognisable message. I think I've mentioned before I even got told off by one medium for telling the truth, that what she was saying bore no resemblance to me.
Old 27-11-2006, 21:04   #44
Beacon of light

Tinks.......you were right...I gained strength and courage from knowing that my Dad was around. Just after he died I went to see James Byrne at the Civic theatre in Ossy......I was desperate to know that my Dad knew that I loved him and missed him......we could never say to him the things we felt before he died, as my Mum insisted that he not be told he was dying.......I was very upset about that and felt I had missed the opportunity to say how I felt....i also felt that i had been deceitful to my Dad, but couldn't go against my mothers wishes as it felt disrespectful......I was aching for him to come through for me and was very disappointed when he didn't. Then a friend who understands more about the spiritual world told me that it would take a supreme effort on my Dads part to send a message to me and that it was only a short time since he had 'passed over'...and that he had been so very poorly when he died....that maybe he was still getting his strength. I don't know if what she said was true...or whether it was just to comfort me......but it did seem to make sense.
I hope that doesn't make me sound like some sort of gullible old f@rt.

Since that time my Mum has been to see a very good medium and she has had messages from my Dad....things that only he and my Mum could know.
So I guess I am convinced that there is something more to life than meets the eye.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 21:29   #45
Resting in peace

Quote:
katex. but it did seem to make sense.
I hope that doesn't make me sound like some sort of gullible old f@rt.
You certainly will not, I/we have all had similar experiences or we would not even have read the thread let alone contributed to it.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..