Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2007, 09:11   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: May day holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
in some of the other European States
Less of the European States rubbish, Hyndburn is in England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
tell ya im british
I am English. If I fill in a form and you can only tick British I will tick other and write English.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:26   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
I believe it was 300 years ago today that the Kingdom of Great Britain, made up of the Kingdoms of England and Scotland, came into being.

Something to ponder in these days of devolution.
The Scottish parliament was dissolved by the last Scottish monarch on 28th April 1707. By the terms of the Act of Union England and Scotland became, in sense, one country. Anne became the first Queen of Great Britain with the succession going over to the House of Hanover on her death - exactly what the English wanted. There was full economic union, the Scots were granted 45 seats in the House of Commons and 16 peers in the upper house. This was not a fair reflection of the population difference between the two countries or on the contribution toward the now combined revenue. There was a compensation of £398,085 10 s (English value) for agreeing to share responsibility for England's national debt. The money was intended to compensate those who had lost out? due to the Act, but it was little more than a bribe paid.

The only benificiaries from this were a few Scottish Lords. Scots say that they were bought to create the Union and not defeated in battle. It is Ironic that it was Scotlands urge to have colinies in the Americas that help force this on the nation as it was almost bankrupt.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:43   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
. It is Ironic that it was Scotlands urge to have colinies in the Americas that help force this on the nation as it was almost bankrupt.
It was bankrupt. Scotland was a complete and utter economic basket case, the 17th/18th century equivalent of Zimbabwe. The only reason that Scotland entered a union with England was so that the English could bail them out; we have been doing that every year for the last three hundred.

The sooner Scotland withdraws from the Union, the better. I am sick to the teeth of having to see English money go north of the border in order to see the ungrateful tartan mob do nothing but whinge, whine and waste our coin. Let 'em have their independance; within a year or two they will have reverted to what they once where - fit for nowt, other than distilling whisky and rustling cattle.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 15:36   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Less of the European States rubbish, Hyndburn is in England.
I wondered if anyone if anyone would pick-up on that
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..