Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2009, 16:44   #16
God Member

Re: Neighbourhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I would like the minimotos, miniquadbikes and trial bikes that churn up the grass on the LCC field near me...............CRUSHED
their supposed to be crushed its just lancashire police seem to be scared of taking them away from kids

should take a leaf out of yorkshire polices book , they love taking things away to be crushed , the police there keep the guy with the crusher very busy with motorbikes,mottos and cars

i know this because my pal works for yorkshire police and nothing makes him happier than to send a motto away for crushing while their poor excuse for parents scream about how much the moto cost them pmsl

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-03-2009, 17:10   #17
God Member

Only a week ago Wayne and Waynetta visited the field with their 4 brats +miniquad.
I stood at my window and directed ultra negative vibes, and sure enough the dratted machine spluttered to a halt after 15 minutes. I watched with delight as the shaven headed Wayne nearly dislocated his shoulder spending 30 minutes trying to get it going again.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 17:25   #18
Resting in Peace

May I just ask what her subject is Pamperqueen ? Could possibly get your sister some outlining help here, although some good input already.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 18:05   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamperqueen View Post
What is the thing you would most change about your neighbourhood? My younger sister is doing her dissertation on the modern neighbourhood and is looking for ideas if anyone woud like to help her out. What are the biggest problems that go unchanged? Is it crime, eyesore buildings, lack of services, lack of neighbourliness, lack of planning regulations? Any ideas gratefully accepted....
The bottom line for neighbourhoods is that you have to work with what you already have ... I suppose one could look at how an area has developed, and why it grew up the way it did. Look at what worked and what didn't .... I think that any larger community is a community of communities, all driven by a complex of forces which weaken as other imperatives take over .... in my home town, for example, there is a lot of "retail driven" develpoment ... large malls and box stores change the shape of a communtiy ... usually for the worse. "Eyesore" buildings can be a problem ... "lack of services" can ruin any neighbourhood ... and there have to be standards and regulations; but these are effective only to the extent that folks have some input into them. In Kingston, there is an area know as the "ghetto" ... this is where there is a lot of student housing, and some of the more rapcious landlords had a habit of not maintaing the houses that students live in ... the response of the student govt. (Queen's Alma Mater Society) was to institute the "Golden Cockroach" award, to be given to the worst landlord (along with honorable mentions for the good ones ... this is most often Science '44 Co-Op) ... it seems to have had some effect, because for the last two years, no landlord has been bad enough to get the honor.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 23:42   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i like my area n theres a predominantly asian prescience on our street, very few chavs, a few upper class smackheads, (they use clean needles)
Old 26-03-2009, 00:16   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i like my area n theres a predominantly asian prescience on our street, very few chavs, a few upper class smackheads, (they use clean needles)
i thought an upper class smackhead was a smackhead who left a thankyou note after stealing your dvd player and LCD tv

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 26-03-2009, 07:29   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
May I just ask what her subject is Pamperqueen ? Could possibly get your sister some outlining help here, although some good input already.
Social studies. She's moved around a lot the past few years and is new to the town where she's studying, so although she's seen quite a lot of different types of neighbourhood and can compare them, she's getting a bit stumped on some things.

Some great points on here and good inspiration for her. Some of the people she's been interviewing have said there's a significant change in the behaviour of young people. Some quite shocking stories, such as kids of 11 or 12 trying to steal bikes/purses/a hat! or scrawling graffitti in plain view of adults who dont feel they can tackle them. Do you think this is true or not?
Pamperqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 07:37   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamperqueen View Post
Social studies. She's moved around a lot the past few years and is new to the town where she's studying, so although she's seen quite a lot of different types of neighbourhood and can compare them, she's getting a bit stumped on some things.

Some great points on here and good inspiration for her. Some of the people she's been interviewing have said there's a significant change in the behaviour of young people. Some quite shocking stories, such as kids of 11 or 12 trying to steal bikes/purses/a hat! or scrawling graffitti in plain view of adults who dont feel they can tackle them. Do you think this is true or not?
I have had an incident where I spotted some kids leaving their "tag" on my garage door. They saw me but didnt stop. I would have gone out and said something but felt too intimidated too, there was a group of them (from the local high school) and to be honest id rather just leave them than tackle them, dont trust them and fear that they do something else to my house / garden if tackled. Am not scared living where I am but not inviting problems if i can help it.
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 09:15   #24
Resting in Peace

I wouldn't actually swap where I live, we have very few problems, in fact only one and that's being sorted. I've lived at my present address for 19 years approx. and like the area very much, but I do sympathise with Margaret and the Quad problem, but that's at the other side of the estate and doesn't really affect me.
Old 26-03-2009, 17:48   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
the only thing i would change is for them to make more play areas for the kids
Rather than play areas for kids, because these are usually what is put in, in most places - swings etc for the under 9's.

How about putting in areas & equipment for the older ones, they never get anything. Which is why they hang about on the streets and cause so many problems - they have nowt else to do.

So for the local community - add more community centres, older child play areas, areas they can hang out etc. Not little kiddy rides.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 18:29   #26
God Member

How about excercise playgrounds for oldies?
Playtime for Grandma: Council opens new playground for the over-60s | Mail Online

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 00:06   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
Rather than play areas for kids, because these are usually what is put in, in most places - swings etc for the under 9's.

How about putting in areas & equipment for the older ones, they never get anything. Which is why they hang about on the streets and cause so many problems - they have nowt else to do.

So for the local community - add more community centres, older child play areas, areas they can hang out etc. Not little kiddy rides.
better just to re-open detention centres n approved schools n borstals.
Old 29-03-2009, 11:22   #28

well they are being fined for this sort of thing,but me my self i dont think thats the best thing,they should make them do the things what they don,t like.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 12:00   #29
God Member

to be honest i think the biggest contribution to the downfall of neighbourhoods was the huge increase in buy to let properties where landlords bought up a lot of houses and rented them out to anyone and couldnt care less how thier tennants effected a neighbourhood as long as they got the rent paid to cover the mortgage

i think a few people here can probably relate to their once peacefull street been decimated because a landlord put some scummy family into a house to get his mortgage paid

landlords should be held more accountable for their tennants behaviour so that instead of renting to anyone to get the mortgage paid they will stop and think if tehy woudl liek teh person they are renting to living next door to them

Old 29-03-2009, 12:15   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
to be honest i think the biggest contribution to the downfall of neighbourhoods was the huge increase in buy to let properties where landlords bought up a lot of houses and rented them out to anyone and couldnt care less how thier tennants effected a neighbourhood as long as they got the rent paid to cover the mortgage
How do you decide what is a 'scummy' family though Accyman. What do you suggest we do with them ? A walled ghetto in the heart of the town ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..