Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2011, 18:29   #31
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Ooooh, I like a good funeral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
They are even rewriting history to say that the Belgrano was sailing the other way.
Which way would that be ? According to Argentina it was heading away from the Falklands but British Military intelligence states otherwise.

Belgrano was heading to the Falklands, secret papers reveal - Telegraph
Old 27-12-2011, 18:37   #32
Resting in Peace

Re: Oooh, I like a good funeral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Which way would that be ? According to Argentina it was heading away from the Falklands but British Military intelligence states otherwise.

Belgrano was heading to the Falklands, secret papers reveal - Telegraph
You'll have to excuse MargaretR Dave, she doesn't do much in research on these subjects
Old 27-12-2011, 18:55   #33
God Member

History of war is written by the winners.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 18:59   #34
JFT96

we were at war. what would you have done?

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 19:01   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
we were at war. what would you have done?
She'd probably have googled it BG
Old 27-12-2011, 19:07   #36
JFT96

Quote:
History of war is written by the winners.
Is that some clever quote you got from one of the truth websites you subscribe to?
Of course they don't have any hidden agenda's unlike the press, tv and anyone who does not agree with your interesting view of the world.
Just so you know Sir Winston Churchill is credited with that.

Old 28-12-2011, 00:56   #37
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Honour to far, she deserves burning in public.
OOH and my New Year Reserlution was to try and be a nicer person,,thats just gone down the pan,
I AM SO WITH YOU ON THIS CASHY
Old 28-12-2011, 07:12   #38
God Member

Seems a little harsh to want to do that to a poor little frail old lady.

Sorry, never agreed with her ideals but i don't get this "hatred".

To many she was an inspirational woman in her day ,first female PM and I think she wore the pants when she was in office ,not easy back then as it was very much a male dominated world.

By the way, has she actually expressed any interest in a State funeral herself?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 09:00   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Seems a little harsh to want to do that to a poor little frail old lady.

Sorry, never agreed with her ideals but i don't get this "hatred".

To many she was an inspirational woman in her day ,first female PM and I think she wore the pants when she was in office ,not easy back then as it was very much a male dominated world.

I think the problem was that it was a woman who took this country by the scruff of the neck and dragged it back to reality. The fact that she made it clear that it was the elected Government who run the country and not the trade Unions, its just a pity we don't have anybody today who can do the same thing, either male or female of any party
Old 28-12-2011, 09:20   #40

She and her government introduced the Poll Tax, sold off our nationalised industries, decimated our social housing stock and mining/manufacturing industries, significantly broadened the gap between rich and poor, over three million out of work, increased interest rates, manufactured a war to meet her own ends, I could go on I'm sure.
I certainly wouldn't support a state funeral for her and should we be tempted by a bank holiday I will choose to work instead or do voluntary work.
Her party was interested only in keeping down the masses in order that the upper classes could gain more wealth - in my opinion.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 09:20   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think the problem was that it was a woman who took this country by the scruff of the neck and dragged it back to reality.
What the bitch did was a reality some wouldn't recognise if it slapped em in the kisser.
Old 28-12-2011, 09:36   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
She and her government introduced the Poll Tax, sold off our nationalised industries, decimated our social housing stock and mining/manufacturing industries, significantly broadened the gap between rich and poor, over three million out of work, increased interest rates, manufactured a war to meet her own ends, I could go on I'm sure.
I certainly wouldn't support a state funeral for her and should we be tempted by a bank holiday I will choose to work instead or do voluntary work.
Her party was interested only in keeping down the masses in order that the upper classes could gain more wealth - in my opinion.
Just wonder why 14 million people voted Tory at a general elect, the most votes ever recorded by a single party in history, if you think that only the rich and well heeled elect Tory Governments, your not dealing with a full deck
Old 28-12-2011, 11:48   #43
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
From the Scottish Daily Record:
Margaret Thatcher approves plan for state funeral costing at least £2m

Dec 12 2011 By Torcuil Crichton
MARGARET THATCHER is said to have approved a blueprint for an eye-wateringly expensive state funeral.
The former Tory Prime Minister's plans are said to include similar arrangements to those given to Winston Churchill, including a send-off at St Paul's Cathedral and a concert orchestra playing Land Of Hope And Glory.
But the 86-year-old has said that she does not want the public to see her lying in state and does not want a military fly-over at her funeral.
The price for a state funeral is likely to run into millions of pounds, with policing such an event costing s2million alone.
Thatcher has requested to be buried at the cemetery of the Royal Chelsea Hospital, where her husband Denis, who died in 2003, was laid to rest.
Although her health has deteriorated in recent months, plans for the funeral have been ongoing since 2007.
Details are set to be discussed this week in a meeting chaired by Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude.
Whitehall officials are said to be concerned about the cost of a state funeral and there are fears of a public backlash against the plans from those who view her as a hate figure after the Falklands War and miners strikes of the 80s.
Last night, there was already a political outcry at the idea of spending so much on the arrangements.
Former MP George Galloway said she should got to an unmarked watery grave after details of plans for the expensive pomp were leaked.
He said: "A far better plan would be to for a funeral at sea off the Falklands at a spot where she ordered the sinking of the Belgrano."
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 12:16   #44
JFT96

Could we give George Galloway a funeral at sea, he does not need to be dead....

Old 28-12-2011, 12:26   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
From the Scottish Daily Record:
Margaret Thatcher approves plan for state funeral costing at least £2m

Dec 12 2011 By Torcuil Crichton
MARGARET THATCHER is said to have approved a blueprint for an eye-wateringly expensive state funeral.
The former Tory Prime Minister's plans are said to include similar arrangements to those given to Winston Churchill, including a send-off at St Paul's Cathedral and a concert orchestra playing Land Of Hope And Glory.
But the 86-year-old has said that she does not want the public to see her lying in state and does not want a military fly-over at her funeral.
The price for a state funeral is likely to run into millions of pounds, with policing such an event costing s2million alone.
Thatcher has requested to be buried at the cemetery of the Royal Chelsea Hospital, where her husband Denis, who died in 2003, was laid to rest.
Although her health has deteriorated in recent months, plans for the funeral have been ongoing since 2007.
Details are set to be discussed this week in a meeting chaired by Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude.
Whitehall officials are said to be concerned about the cost of a state funeral and there are fears of a public backlash against the plans from those who view her as a hate figure after the Falklands War and miners strikes of the 80s.
Last night, there was already a political outcry at the idea of spending so much on the arrangements.
Former MP George Galloway said she should got to an unmarked watery grave after details of plans for the expensive pomp were leaked.
He said: "A far better plan would be to for a funeral at sea off the Falklands at a spot where she ordered the sinking of the Belgrano."
Burying her at sea off the Falklands sounds a tad extreme, and still expensive. Why not just toss her into the cut off the Whalley Road bridge in Clayton. Do it now, so that she has time for a farewell speech. I took a drunken header into the cut; and I survived. Maybe she could luck out. Raffle off the right to giver her a good swift boot to the ass to help her on her way.

Come to think of it, Tony Blair was a strong, controversial PM. Had to handle the Diana crisis. Got involved in a couple of neat wars. State funeral for Tony anyone? Now, or later
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..