Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-12-2011, 04:20   #76
God Member

Re: Ooooh, I like a good funeral.

looks like they are trying to soften the public up to the idea of this farce

a document has just been released showing she insisted on paying for her own ironing board at number 10 to keep costs down

what a heroine she was

Quote:
The 30-year-old files, made public for the first time on Friday, show the former prime minister insisted on buying her own ironing board and bedding over concerns that the government was spending too much money on her Downing Street flat.
wonder if she paid for her own milk or just drank what she stole from school kids

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-12-2011, 07:00   #77
Senior Member+

Re: Oooh, I like a good funeral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You don't know why the ordinary man in the street vote Tory, its quite easy really Herold (this won't effect the pound in your pocket)Wilson, Jim (Crisis what crisis)Callaghan, Tony (whiter than white government) Blair, Gordon(useless) Brown, were as much use as a one legged man at an arse kick contest, in terms of running the country
Reminds me of my grandma (who died in 1963 by the way) who when told her neighbour was voting Conservative, said "What's SHE got thats worth conserving?"
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 08:27   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Reminds me of my grandma (who died in 1963 by the way) who when told her neighbour was voting Conservative, said "What's SHE got thats worth conserving?"
Ya like my old gran said I always vote Tory cuz its no use voting for them as as nout, cuz when they ged it they don't know what to do with it, which I think has been proved time and again
Old 31-12-2011, 08:31   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
looks like they are trying to soften the public up to the idea of this farce

a document has just been released showing she insisted on paying for her own ironing board at number 10 to keep costs down

what a heroine she was

wonder if she paid for her own milk or just drank what she stole from school kids
I wouldn't be quite so scathing - sounds like she had the typical post-war mentality of most women back then -" waste-not, want-not" which is not a bad thing.

I see they are trying to propose an Austerity-Olympics - don't think it will take off as the Nation is too used to the spend-spend-spend/ think about paying later mentality.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 08:37   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I wouldn't be quite so scathing
That was nowt to some of my comments about the soon to leave us owd cow. but as kids come on here i'm unable to be really scathing.
Old 12-09-2012, 13:57   #81
Resting in Peace

Just listened to a discussion on Radio 2.

Seems the T.U.C. at their conference, are allowing party packs and T-shirts to be sold for the inevitable death of Margaret Thatcher.

The party packs are labelled 'Ding, Dong, Thatcher's Gone', and contain party poppers, balloons and other celebratory items for when she has passed away.

T-shirts emblazoned with 'Hey Ho, The Witch is Dead.''

No matter what your opinion of this lady is, I find this pretty disgraceful and obscene.

Sadly, they are selling quite well.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 14:02   #82
God Member

No doubt they will be removed shortly and some embarassed official will say it was never endorsed by the TUC.

I fear all pretence at respect for others has now gone in the general spreading of bad-taste which seems to be a feature of western living since it began to follow the American dream...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 14:04   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Seems the T.U.C. at their conference, are allowing party packs and T-shirts to be sold for the inevitable death of Margaret Thatcher.

The party packs are labelled 'Ding, Dong, Thatcher's Gone', and contain party poppers, balloons and other celebratory items for when she has passed away.

No matter what your opinion of this lady is, I find this pretty disgraceful and obscene.

Wonder if you feel sorry for the people whose lives she ruined ?
Old 12-09-2012, 14:21   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Not everybody believes that though, Dave.

I wasn't commenting on her past actions, just the actions that some British people intend to carry out after her demise. Pretty sickening.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 14:25   #85
Beacon of light

I'm with you Kate.
To celebrate the death of a person shows how far this country has fallen.
Tactless, tasteless and moronic.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 15:10   #86
Senior Member+

A democratically elected leader, who followed her own path, irrelevant of policy, one of the greatest leaders this county has seen, remember in the 70,s we were a washed up has been of a country, she put us back on world stage!

I protested against thatcher when she was in power, I met her once.

But I too will shed a tear for the iron lady, and agree with those who find it sad that some would celebrate.
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 18:05   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

I find the TUC pretty disgraceful and obscene, period
Old 12-09-2012, 18:41   #88

I'm not sure how I feel on this one. I cannot help but consider Thatcherism to be the instigator of the "Greed is Good" mentality which is at the root of the country's descent into it's current state. On the other hand to celebrate someone's death seems somewhat tasteless.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 19:02   #89
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
I'm not sure how I feel on this one. I cannot help but consider Thatcherism to be the instigator of the "Greed is Good" mentality which is at the root of the country's descent into it's current state. On the other hand to celebrate someone's death seems somewhat tasteless.
Sorry when the Tory's left off in 97, they left the strongest economic outlook than any government in history, its whats happened since that's left this country in its current state
Old 12-09-2012, 19:45   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Her policies caused the company I worked for(one of the biggest in the UK) to go under.I survived but my career prospects were halted.
But- the incompetent management deserved it, the militant union leaders deserved it(a strike nearly every week),just a shame thousands of workers had to take the pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
A democratically elected leader, who followed her own path, irrelevant of policy, one of the greatest leaders this county has seen, remember in the 70,s we were a washed up has been of a country, she put us back on world stage!
Whether you agreed with her or not,she had vision, British industry had to sort itself out and stop relying on subsidies or we would go under.
After her no leader or party has had the courage to have that sort of forward plan or to push it through and what has happened-we've slowly gone under!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..