Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 20:13   #91
I am Banned

Re: Oooh, I like a good funeral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think the problem was that it was a woman who took this country by the scruff of the neck and dragged it back to reality. The fact that she made it clear that it was the elected Government who run the country and not the trade Unions, its just a pity we don't have anybody today who can do the same thing, either male or female of any party
The trade unions brought most of it on their own heads, especially with some of their stupid rules, 6 men stood idle waiting for an electrician to change a light bulb, how could factories run efficiently under that system, and make enough money to pay the wages of those idle because of silly union rules.

If we had operated such a system in the Fire Brigade, no fires would have been put out, no lives saved, the man who operates the hydrant key is off sick.

I was a union official in the Fire Brigade Union, there was alway crap coming from the head office, via the district representative with orders sell it to your members, my responce was you lot dreamt it up you sell it to the members.
As for pay rises whilst serving in the F.B., the Labour lot were the most difficult to deal with, always looking for ways to change our conditions of service, 3 half crowns or we change the shift system.

We always fared better when the tories were in power.
Let hope the unions don't go back to running the country again.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-09-2012, 02:04   #92
I am Banned

Re: Ooooh, I like a good funeral.

as for one who was jailed because i could not afford to pay my poll tax,i spent 6 weeks in prison,not a police station nick and lost my home when i came out,she deserves nothing she was a self righteous pompous egostistical warmonger,who brought this country to its knees and devastsated the mining community and the coal industry and put thousands out of work,(see the film BRASSED OFF )she made families split up because of money problems and divided families over whether to break the miners strike and be a scvab

Last edited by Neil; 14-09-2012 at 07:40. Reason: *'s
alan7554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 05:10   #93
God Member

No doubt folks will show up in their thousands for her funeral. As Red Skelton said of the well-attended funeral of L. B. Mayer: "Give the people what they want, and they'll come out for it."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 09:10   #94
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The trade unions brought most of it on their own heads, especially with some of their stupid rules, 6 men stood idle waiting for an electrician to change a light bulb, how could factories run efficiently under that system, and make enough money to pay the wages of those idle because of silly union rules.

If we had operated such a system in the Fire Brigade, no fires would have been put out, no lives saved, the man who operates the hydrant key is off sick.

I was a union official in the Fire Brigade Union, there was alway crap coming from the head office, via the district representative with orders sell it to your members, my responce was you lot dreamt it up you sell it to the members.
As for pay rises whilst serving in the F.B., the Labour lot were the most difficult to deal with, always looking for ways to change our conditions of service, 3 half crowns or we change the shift system.

We always fared better when the tories were in power.
Let hope the unions don't go back to running the country again.
100% Spot on Retlaw.
Old 13-09-2012, 10:03   #95
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan7554 View Post
as for one who was jailed because i could not afford to pay my poll tax,i spent 6 weeks in prison,not a police station nick and lost my home when i came out,she deserves nothing she was a self righteous pompous egostistical warmonger,who brought this country to its knees and devastsated the mining community and the coal industry and put thousands out of work,(see the film BRASSED OFF )she made families split up because of money problems and divided families over whether to break the miners strike and be a scvab
So, will you be buying a party pack then, Alan ?

I thought the Poll Tax was an unfair system too, however, never considered the Rates to be fair either. I was a divorced single parent with a young child, living in close proximity in identical property, to larger families with grown up children, but paying the same amount. Hardly fair .... suppose I should have rioted or refused payment too.

Last edited by Neil; 14-09-2012 at 07:40. Reason: *'s in quote
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 10:21   #96
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
So, will you be buying a party pack then, Alan ?

I thought the Poll Tax was an unfair system too, however, never considered the Rates to be fair either. I was a divorced single parent with a young child, living in close proximity in identical property, to larger families with grown up children, but paying the same amount. Hardly fair .... suppose I should have rioted or refused payment too.
The Poll Tax was wrong Kate, the principle was right the application was totally wrong, if it had have been introduced at £50 per head, still with the safety net for those unable to pay, don't think anybody would have moaned, but at the rate it was introduced it was absolutely stupid, as you say rates aren't fair either but, I doubt anybody will ever find a way of satisfying everybody no matter how they try.
Old 13-09-2012, 13:07   #97
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just listened to a discussion on Radio 2.

Seems the T.U.C. at their conference, are allowing party packs and T-shirts to be sold for the inevitable death of Margaret Thatcher.

The party packs are labelled 'Ding, Dong, Thatcher's Gone', and contain party poppers, balloons and other celebratory items for when she has passed away.

T-shirts emblazoned with 'Hey Ho, The Witch is Dead.''

No matter what your opinion of this lady is, I find this pretty disgraceful and obscene.

Sadly, they are selling quite well.
Agreed.

Hate what she did, if you must, as I certainly did.

Not the woman herself.

It's not usually how the British behave.

It's the sort of manic, effigy burning, giddy hysteria you usually see on the news, when some tin pot dictator's been overthrown, somewhere hot.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 13:26   #98
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I've no problem with it, it's what she encouraged, do away with our own Manufacturers turn the Country into a service only industry with the odd few making a bit of extra cash from re-packaging and re-distributing cheap Chinese imports, for once I think she'd be proud of the T.U.C.
All is going according to her long term plan.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 13:32   #99
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Ok.

Your view, and of course you are entitled to it.

Just as you were when you shared your thoughts on Michael Jackson's death.

Quote:
so he has died,its just one less kiddy fiddler to worry about,it just proves that if you have money you can get away with anything,why pay people of if you are innocent, lets see what comes out now he,s dead at least he made jordan chandler a rich little boy
GOOD RIDDANCE
Which you posted not long after your release from prison, for sexually molesting a child.

It's sad when anyone dies.

Thatcher's children, and grandchildren will miss her.

There's probably someone, somewhere, who'll miss you when you pop your clogs.

Last edited by Neil; 14-09-2012 at 07:41. Reason: *'s in quote
Old 13-09-2012, 13:37   #100
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I've no problem with it, it's what she encouraged, do away with our own Manufacturers turn the Country into a service only industry with the odd few making a bit of extra cash from re-packaging and re-distributing cheap Chinese imports, for once I think she'd be proud of the T.U.C.
All is going according to her long term plan.
Made me laugh.

Twisted.

Thank you.

Never thought she might be pleased that her death's being turned into a fine example of free market enterprise, and might very well be a nice little boost to the economy.

Old 13-09-2012, 13:41   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Ok.

Your view, and of course you are entitled to it.

Just as you were when you shared your thoughts on Michael Jackson's death.

Which you posted not long after your release from prison, for sexually molesting a child.
Just a couple of questions rindi, how do you know about his past have I missed a post?

And

alan7554 was that his number whilst inside?
Old 13-09-2012, 14:04   #102
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Just a couple of questions rindi, how do you know about his past have I missed a post?

And

alan7554 was that his number whilst inside?
I'm the forum archivist.

Memory like a lovely old Nelly the Elly.

He's posted that he was the jailed Stanley mascot.

He did once try to pretend he was his brother-in-law, using a nom-de-plume, until I provided evidence to the contrary, which forced him to tell the truth.

No big deal.

We've all got a past, and will have done things we regret.

Let what happened in the past, stay in the past.

Unless you have a desire to share your thoughts publicly, and what you're saying could arguably be seen as hypocrisy.

I have no qualms at all about this being brought back up, after reading through his old posts. Many of which were equally strongly opinionated, and a few, grossly hypocritical.

Old 13-09-2012, 14:11   #103

Quote:
I'm the forum archivist.

No big deal.

Does it mean then that where he states he's in Bangkok, he's gone for the cure and not anything else that may be available?
Old 13-09-2012, 14:11   #104
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'm the forum archivist.

Memory like a lovely old Nelly the Elly.

He's posted that he was the jailed Stanley mascot.

He did once try to pretend he was his brother-in-law, using a nom-de-plume, until I provided evidence to the contrary, which forced him to tell the truth.

No big deal.

Unless you have a desire to share your thoughts publicly, and what you're saying could arguably be seen as hypocrisy.

I have no qualms at all about this being brought back up, after reading through his old posts. Many of which were equally strongly opinionated, and a few, grossly hypocritical.
As I said, despite what we do with our lives, it's rare the person whose death doesn't leave at least one person's life a little more empty.

I'm sure that'll be the case with Thatcher's nearest and dearest, and even his.

Old 13-09-2012, 14:16   #105
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Does it mean then that where he states he's in Bangkok, he's gone for the cure and not anything else that may be available?

You really should pop into the forum's archive office once in a while.

(It's the little hidey-hole under the stairs, that lead to the forum bogs.)

I'll show you all the national, and local press cuttings, regarding his 'adventures' in Thailand.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..