Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-04-2009, 11:15   #46
I am Banned

Re: Oswaldtwistle War Memorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am sure it is impossible to get the information 100% correct. Records will have been lost and destroyed and all the name changing can't help either.

Just a thought, do they need permission to put a name on the memorial from a family member? You mentioned before that some families did not want the names of there loved ones on them.
Now that that generation is practically gone, I would like to think that a lot of the present generation would be happy to have their Grandads name on a memorial.

Bill & I soon found out that every body was claiming to have had a relative in the Accrington Pals, even showed one person that her great uncle had served in the York & Lancs Regt, "was that not the Pals" was the reply. If every claim that "he was in the Pals" was true, then the Accrington Pals could have fought the Germans single handed, and won. Of the original 1320 men who left for Caernarvon on Feb 23rd 1915, very few were still serving in the 11th at the end of the war, over 4200 men did serve in the battalion, but after the carnage of July 1st 1916, they could no longer be called the Accrington Pals.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-04-2009, 11:41   #47
I am Banned

I hope they do review the list now. I know the council officers read this forum all the time and I hope it does make them look again.

If council officers do visit the forum, why do we not hear some comment from them.

As for the spelling of DruNNond, it is on the original 1922 Roll of Honour as DruMMond, if they had use their spill chucker (sic) before publishing that list, all would have been revealed.

What gets me is with the list on hbc's website is that only those who lived in Oswaldtwistle before the war, will be considered, if that is the criteria, then quite a few on the 1922 list should be removed.

I also have the names of those who qualify by being born or had lived in Oswaldtwistle, relatives still living in the town, but they served with the Canadians or Australians.

I have all the service records of those men, who enlisted abroad, plus some 450 service records of local men who served in the different regiments of the British Army, they show where they were born, age, occupation, next of kin, date of marriage, names of children when they were born etc. Those are known facts and can never be disputed, they are official historical documents.

Just started doing C's.

Retlaw

Obvious things like Immanuel might be spotted but others wouldn't be.
Old 25-04-2009, 21:34   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I hope they do review the list now. I know the council officers read this forum all the time and I hope it does make them look again.

If council officers do visit the forum, why do we not hear some comment from them.

As for the spelling of DruNNond, it is on the original 1922 Roll of Honour as DruMMond, if they had use their spill chucker (sic) before publishing that list, all would have been revealed.

Obvious things like Immanuel might be spotted but others wouldn't be.
perhaps they won't look again, cos when are council officers ever wrong?
Old 25-04-2009, 22:36   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
perhaps they won't look again, cos when are council officers ever wrong?

They had better shape themselves, just found another Clanger. HAWORTH. J.W. 36810. 40 Duke St, Oswaldtwistle, they picked one from the C.W.G., that has no family information, just to make it fit.

The man they should be after is HAWORTH. John Rushton. 40 Duke St, Oswaldtwistle. New Lane Baptists Roll of Glory and the Greater Accrington
R-O-H.

That memorial is going to be a right dogs breakfast.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 25-04-2009 at 22:40.
Old 26-04-2009, 12:22   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
-----------

As far as I'm aware Roy was managing quite well on his own, he never asked for any help.
But I'm not having my work vetted by some tinpot committee, the only person qualified to verify my work is Catherine Duckworth the Local Studies Librarian.

As for the other, I would'nt hiss on him if he was on fire.

Retlaw.
Bet he's back on here before long, now that theres a thread on WW1.
Why do you feel it necessary to be abusive?

My own version of the local Rolls of Honour are available for anyone to see and to offer corrections:
Greater Accrington Roll of Honour, 1914-1919 | Home Page

In the brief period when we exchanged information, Walter, your contributions were always acknowledged. See Reference 39 as well as the general acknowledgement here:
The Accrington Pals | The Officers and Men

(Yes, Gayle, it is my real name.)
Andrew Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 14:41   #51
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson View Post
Why do you feel it necessary to be abusive?

My own version of the local Rolls of Honour are available for anyone to see and to offer corrections:
Greater Accrington Roll of Honour, 1914-1919 | Home Page

In the brief period when we exchanged information, Walter, your contributions were always acknowledged. See Reference 39 as well as the general acknowledgement here:
The Accrington Pals | The Officers and Men

(Yes, Gayle, it is my real name.)
Well if your so good try finding JONES J. 33269 of Chapel St Oswaldtwistle, on the thieval memorial.
There is a JONES John wth that number, but he has no connection with Oswldtwistle, as far as I can get.

Then we have another, 203177 JOHNSON A. died at home. 203177 JOHNSON was in the Royal Scots Born in Burnley and was killed in Palestine.

Retlaw
Old 18-05-2009, 07:34   #52
God Member

I see the Telegraph is now running with this story. I wonder where they picked up the controversy? From reading this thread, perhaps? Or maybe Retlaw got on the blower to tell 'em there were cock-ups galore. Maybe he can advise us on the latest.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 16:07   #53
Give, give, give member

To everyone, Roy Lockwood initially, and all the people at the council, who've organised the names of the town's war dead from WW II and the Korean War, to be put on a brass plaque at the War Memorial, thank you very much.

After sixty six years, having her dad's name on an already very special place to her, means a lot to one soldier's daughter, and his two grandsons.

Thank you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:03   #54
Give, give, give member

'The Oswaldtwistle War memorial was erected by public subscription and unveiled on Saturday, January 14th 1922 by Major General Shoubridge CB, CMG, DSO. The memorial is a monument consisting of a polished granite pedestal standing upon three steps and embellished with bronze groups. The total height from the ground is 30ft. The monument is crowned with a winged figure of Victory in bronze, standing upon a globe. On the centre plinth is a bronze group of two soldiers, one in the act of defending his wounded comrade, entitled 'Patriotism'. Projecting from the centre plinth, on a level with the group are ships' prows each containing a small winged figure in bronze: one representing the spirit of the navy and the other the spirit of the air force. On the front of the monument is the inscription: 'Erected to the memory of the Men of Oswaldtwistle who fell in the Great War, 1914-1918'.'
Oswaldtwistle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WarMemorial.jpg (41.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Poppies.jpg (42.7 KB, 11 views)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 15:03   #55

Thanks for sharing the photo of the war memorial. It is a great photo and one that I have not seen before.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..