Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 14:01   #16
God Member

Re: Police assault @ G20 protest leads to death

A Boeing says, we are hearing a one sided view. The British press are renowned for witch hunts and this looks just like one to me.

1) he was 'ambling' down a street that Police in full riot gear were trying to clear after being hit with bottles and other missiles. as he was a local papaer seller you can't tell me he 'stumbled' upon an area of these protests? could/should he have taken an alternative route, I certainly would have.

2) you don't know if he was told to move or clear the area .

3) tensions were already running high and this guy seems oblivious to anything thats going on, was he taking the pee or genuinely oblivious(how based on the events that day)

4) In the Police view they have to do a job that isn't easy against a crowd of people seen to be causing violent outbursts.

what would your split second decision be? shove him away out of the way or hold up and be all prissy with him?

No ones mentioned the Police when trying to assist him being pelted with bottles etc?

It was a highly charged environment, is one person being pushed such a big deal? if he hadn't had a heart attack( which I doubt anyone on here can attribute to the events of that video) no one would care two hoots, as it is there is now this wonderful witch hunt for this Policeman and against teh Police themselves.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2009, 14:02   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Not going to take sides on this, but lets remember we are ontly hearing one side of the story here.
how anyone can see this as taking sides baffles me, its seeing what happened with yer own eyes.
Old 08-04-2009, 14:46   #18
JFT96

Cashy, when I watched the video, he seemed a bit drunk to me, also it appeared once he was on the ground, he was shouting the odds a bit with some bad language. We have been shown a video from the Guardian, it is a edited video and only shows us what they want to show.
We are not in a court of law yet, I do not know all the facts and without them cannot make an informed decision. but as usual judge and jury have taken place here on accyweb.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 14:51   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Cashy, when I watched the video, he seemed a bit drunk to me, also it appeared once he was on the ground, he was shouting the odds a bit with some bad language. We have been shown a video from the Guardian, it is a edited video and only shows us what they want to show.
We are not in a court of law yet, I do not know all the facts and without them cannot make an informed decision. but as usual judge and jury have taken place here on accyweb.
he looked a bit drunk to me, thats irrelevant he was assaulted its that simple, he was not aggressive but walking with hands in pockets, no-one knows all the facts, but most people knocked to the ground would have have a few choice words to say, i would imagine, its not taking sides its stating the obvious, which fer some strange reason seems to be eluding you.
Old 08-04-2009, 15:07   #20
JFT96

No I can see what happened, I would like to see what went on before the video started that's all.
There is no doubt that he was pushed by the police officer. It does not instantly mean that he was innocent and the copper guilty, I was under the impression we had courts for that sort of thing.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 15:21   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
No I can see what happened, I would like to see what went on before the video started that's all.
There is no doubt that he was pushed by the police officer. It does not instantly mean that he was innocent and the copper guilty, I was under the impression we had courts for that sort of thing.
no it don't mean he was innocent, it means whatever, he was walking away hands in pockets, to be violently pushed in the back, flooring him, that is not acceptable behavior fer a police officer, unless of course you think the law does not apply to them? you or i would be prosecuted fer that action.
Old 08-04-2009, 21:17   #22
God Member

I (and I'd bet a few others) have seen a lot worse from the Police at football matches etc.. and nowt's been said or done...but just goes to show some police treat anyone as the enemy at these events.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 21:34   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I (and I'd bet a few others) have seen a lot worse from the Police at football matches etc.. and nowt's been said or done...but just goes to show some police treat anyone as the enemy at these events.
having suffered worse meself late 60s when wobbling quietly up peel street on me way home around 1-30, this is nowt new, looking here 40 yrs on n nowts changed, some still behave badly, some still are clueless about what happens in real life,that or they choose to ignore it.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:23   #24
Senior Member+

He was assaulted twice, once with the police baton at the back of his legs and then the police officer lunged at him and pushed him.
If somebody did that to me reguardless of who they are they would get a mouthfull off me too.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 20:00   #25
God Member

It seems pretty tame to me ... not too long ago 4 heavilly armed mounties tasered a guy to death at Vancouver Airport because he threatened them with a stapler!!! In a situation like this, with a mass demonstration and a lot of stressed out coppers, some faeces is bound to hit the swiftly roatating object.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 18:49   #26
God Member

My worry is that this will be swept under the carpet quietly and will happen again in the future. If it does get swept under then that is like giving the police in the future at such events cart blanche to do as they please and get away with it. I an no fan of the police and think that they regard themselves at times above the law and close ranks fast when one of their collegues is in the warm wet sticky stuff. Yes the G20 protests turned in some cases into an anarchic riot but that does not justify clobbering innocents (as it stands at the moment) just because they are stressed and pumped up on adrenalin. The sooner we find out what happened for sure and what the second post mortem shows the better!!!

What would have happened if all the officers on duty that day had fire arms and tasers and one went off on one with all the agro? Yes Joe P would have been in the pokey if it was the otherway round and an officer was walloped one. We dont know all the facts yet but with all the edited bits around, media speculation and other distortions we might never know as of the only ones that know one is dead and the other wont be allowed to talk apart from to follow the "party line" so to speak.

As for doing the judge, jury and executioner that is normal when we see what happened and is human nature.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 19:22   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
It seems pretty tame to me.
Try to convince the family of this mature man who was on his way home from work, walking away from a situation with his hands in his pockets that this is tame.
He may have aggravated the police before the event but there was sufficient police presence to arrest him without clobbering him from behind.
There has been been a suggestion that the video evidence is fabricated, I dont think anyone of right mind would attempt that....even the press on such a highly charged subject.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..