Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 22:39   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Pure altruism does it exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetah992000 View Post
would the person who gave you a cheque have placed it on the floor and walked away without even konwing if you had picked it up ? or did they have to know that it was you who had personally taken possession of it ?
The person wanted me to have the cheque, and make use of it whatever way I saw best.

Leaving the cheque on the floor, for perhaps someone else to find, wasn't an option. This person, who like I said earlier, isn't someone I know very well, is certainly no fool with their money.

It was an act of kindness, that demanded no recognition or thanks. I hope I spent the money wisely, and that it was used in the spirit it was given.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2008, 22:51   #17
I am Banned

Lilly she is serving god so i would say not.

i hope nobody thinks i am being opinionated - i am just interested what others think.

We all look at the world through different eyes after all.

Garinda i know it is breaking the meaning right down - but that is why i put pure altruism, and i am no philosopher lol ( maybe after a few pints ) and i hope you are doing well, you have some very kind people around you and i am guessing you are a person who does many nice things for others it was obviously your time to get some back xx
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 23:12   #18
Give, give, give member

Since I mentioned it, I'd better give a little background as to why that one act meant so much.

First of all, it wasn't about the money, or the amount. It was the act itself.

I knew for a while something was wrong with me. I'd known for years in fact, but like so many people do, I chose to ignore it, and had put off going to the doctors.

The day the person gave me the cheque was the afternoon I'd just come back from seeing a neurologist, who confirmed I had Parkinson's Disease.

I was thirty nine and felt that my life was over. I knew very little about the condition, other than the tremor, and from what I'd read in a booklet the doctor had given me, on the way back in the car.

It very much painted a worse case scenario. Eventual loss of speech, confined to a wheelchair, etc., etc., that sort of thing.

My only God given talent had been art, and I had used that to go to art school, get a degree, and then forge a very enjoyable, and successful career in fashion, in London. All that it seemed would be taken away from me, as well as my independence. No more living the high life, jetting off round the world, and being single the thought did cross my mind that who the hell would ever want to love me now?

So, sat in my mum's kitchen, probably at the lowest I've ever been in my life, in comes this person, who I don't know very well, to ask what the doctor had said. This person then went away, only to return a short while later.

That is when the cheque was given, with the proviso that I could do whatever I wanted with it, as long as it made me happy.

The cheque could have been a bunch of flowers, picked from the roadside. It was the act itself. Giving me something, anything. An act of love, from one person to another, when I most needed it, which touched me the most, and which I'll never forget.

I did actually use some of the money, besides the acupuncture, on seeing the doctor again privately, because I desperately need more information regarding the treatment, and for which my six monthly NHS appointment didn't answer.

The question as to how I spent the money was never an issue. The person told me to do with it what I would, and I doubt they'd even worried if I spent it all in the pub.

Happily, emotionally I'm in a much better place right now.

Who knows, some of that might be down to that moment of kindness by that one person.

Last edited by garinda; 02-02-2008 at 23:15.
Old 02-02-2008, 23:22   #19
I am Banned

I hope your acupuncture is helping

i can also say that the medical system absolutely stinks in the way that they say - "here this is what the problem is, here is a ****ty pamflet, off you go, come back in six months and you will be able to ask me all the questions that pop into your head over the next couple of weeks, but even then i wont give you a straight answer.

but anyway...... i am glad you are in a happier place.
Old 02-02-2008, 23:25   #20
Give, give, give member

We did have another thread, as to what Bob Geldof's motives were, regarding his charity work, in which altruism was raised.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ear-14020.html

Old 02-02-2008, 23:30   #21
I am Banned

thanks Garinda
Old 03-02-2008, 00:00   #22
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Are there people who act without the need for praise or recognition, either physically or spiritually, yes, in my opinion.
I agree with Rindy's thought here. I know many people who do things casue it's just the right thing to do. Even if just to bring a bit of joy or light into someone's world.

Some would say that my belief in God drives me, and many others to do these sort of things. However, it is rare that I think that I'm getting "another jewel in my crown" for such act or deed.

Heck, what about Mez putting me up when I go over there for a visit. okay, she does get a witty, charming, hunk of a man staying with her for a bit, but I really don't think this is her reason!

Or how bout the simple acts of those who offered to buy me a pint while over there? Mez buying a bunch of candies for my kids? Or the complete strangers who gave me a pound for the parking thingamagig in Ashton-Under-Lyne? Or Bernie giving me Ianto's cane for a keepsake, etc, etc, etc?

I think nice people do things just cause they're nice people!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:59   #23
Resting in Peace

I actually think that any one who helps others, without any thought for themselves or what may come out of the situation to benefit themselves are very few and far between, but there are such people. There are a lot of so called stars that do good things nowing that recognition will come back in other ways and they will reap he benefit. The best acts of compassion for others from so call stars, are the ones you never hear of.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:24   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i know a guy that was a complete drunkard,was a buggar for fighting,etc etc, who at great expense went abroad to help the sickn disabled, voluntery would you say that is altruism keetah? or just evening things up a bit.
Old 03-02-2008, 21:51   #25
I am Banned

i would say he did it to better himself and do something with his life

but i dont know him.
Old 03-02-2008, 22:00   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
i hope nobody thinks i am being opinionated
Don't worry about that, there are several opinionated members on here and we still talk to them
Old 03-02-2008, 22:03   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
i would say he did it to better himself and do something with his life

but i dont know him.

We don't know why he, or anyone else for that matter, does what could be perceived as acts of kindness.

Does it really matter why, as long as they are doing something that will help someone else?

It the world was filled with even more people who make someone elses burden a little lighter, that in my opinion is good thing.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:09   #28
Beacon of light

I think nice people do things just cause they're nice people!

Brian[/quote]

I agree. Many people do things for others without desiring anything in return.....it is called 'Paying it forward'.....and it is like putting credit into the bank of kindness.
I would hope that if I do anything for someone, they would perform a similar kindness for someone else instead of paying me back....hence paying it forward.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 04-02-2008 at 08:11.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:28   #29
Resident Waffler

So Keetah would you say that just because someone feels good after they have done something nice for someone else that turns it into a selfish act rather than a selfless one because they have personally gained a good feeling from it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:32   #30
God Member

i often give people things without wanting a reward

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..