Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 10:10   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Pure altruism does it exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
So Keetah would you say that just because someone feels good after they have done something nice for someone else that turns it into a selfish act rather than a selfless one because they have personally gained a good feeling from it?
was thinking along similar lines,honestly dont get yer angle on this one Keetah to me people are just people, many do good things n it dont matter a monkeys why, if by doin so it makes somebodys lot a little better,thats fine with me,would not look for motives,theres too much crap in the world,without knocking what aint.
Old 04-02-2008, 18:05   #32
I am Banned

no i didnt say it was selfish it was just a general question to have a bit of a debate about but i see it has turned into a negative thread so never mind eh?
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 19:20   #33
God Member

if you go to a funeral to help a friend through the process of burying their loved one does that count? Do the tears you cry for their loved one who was a complete stranger to you count? your friend will find comfort from your presence and yet you ask for nothing, you gain nothing, you are just there when needed. You dont expect thanks and you cant expect any comfort in return... is that a form of altruism?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 21:14   #34
I am Banned

i cant answer for you - do you think it is - your opinion will be different than mine - my opinion - i would say no

i am not saying that we do these things to get thanks and we dont want anything back either, but i think there is a basic instinct - a very small part of our survival mechanism that makes us respond the way we do.
I suppose on some level it is unexplainable, i suppose more to think of why we wouldnt dream of not going to a funeral with a friend especially if that friend, too, is ill. the thought of not going would be unbearable. I am not saying that we go to ease guilt. But to be honest i dont think that going to a funeral would really come under the heading of altruism. I would say that it is more to do with compassion.

A lot of your posts are negative or seem to be, and you seem to argue points just for the sake of it, i dont know you and yet i find i have a soft spot for you, ( in a non creepy kind of way lol ) i find myself wondering if you really are a caring person who just lets off steam on here, so is that altruism?

But like i say Blazey your opinion will be different than mine, because our life experiences will have been so different - thus i was looking forward to a debate - wondering if someone could expand my thinking on the subject - i enjoy a good debate but i think perhaps on a screen is not the place to do it because things can come across as being negative - even when they are not x
Old 04-02-2008, 21:25   #35
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
So Keetah would you say that just because someone feels good after they have done something nice for someone else that turns it into a selfish act rather than a selfless one because they have personally gained a good feeling from it?
Do you know what Willow i am one of those people that goes out of my way to do things for others, even if it means putting myself second third or ninety ninth, i feel like i just get kicked in the teeth for it a lot of the time. I work hard and people dont seem to see it until i have a day or two feeling under the weather then they notice i have slowed down and give me one of those looks - to say "can you put that rocket back up you bottom please" lol i am sure there are many nice people that feel like they should start to be less than nice and i dont know why we carry on doing it but we do but i dont think i am altruistic in the actual sense. i suppose i just like to make other people happy when i can - and that is what i get out of it i suppose.

but no i really dont think they are acts of selfishness at all xx
Old 04-02-2008, 21:28   #36

In it’s purest sense altruism probably doesn’t exist. We do things because we want to do them. The fact that we want to do whatever deed equates to getting gratification from the act of doing so. Interesting thread.
Old 04-02-2008, 21:33   #37
God Member

I guess it depends on your own definition of altruism then. I dont particularly care if it exists or not to be truthful and I dont really enjoy philosophical issues as its mainly based on own personal moral and opinion.

people put money into charity boxes every day for no reason at all. Where is the personal gain from that? Often there is no compassion as they dont even look what charity they are donating to, so that cant be the answer. Nobody gives anyone recognition for putting their money into a box, except maybe the collector who says thankyou, though they aren't often gaining recognition either...

Is THAT altruism?

I get the feeling from your initial question that you personally dont think it exists, and therefore asking you what altruism is is pretty much pointless anyway unless I think of something you have never come across before. So I think I am just questionin myself right now really. And thats about as philosophical as I get.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 21:33   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetah992000 View Post
give me one of those looks - to say "can you put that rocket back up you bottom please"

So thats why you were walking funny this morning
Old 04-02-2008, 21:35   #39
I am Banned

LMAO - yeah but shhhhh it's a secret - it makes it damned hard to get through security i ca n tell you
Old 01-11-2008, 00:08   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
In it’s purest sense altruism probably doesn’t exist.
A mother, feeding a newborn baby.

Even though she may be exhausted, her act is one of giving, and of instinctive love.

There you go, a true altruist.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 00:27   #41
I am Banned

if she didnt feed the baby it would die - feeding a baby may instinctive - not alturistic. and why has this popped up again - noooooooo
Old 01-11-2008, 00:29   #42
I am Banned

oh and it would cry and cry and cry because it was hungry - nobody can withstand eternal newbaby born crying
Old 01-11-2008, 00:35   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetah992000 View Post
if she didnt feed the baby it would die - feeding a baby may instinctive - not alturistic. and why has this popped up again - noooooooo
altruism

1.the principle or practice of unselfish concern for or devotion to the welfare of others (opposed to egoism). 2.Animal Behavior. behavior by an animal that may be to its disadvantage but that benefits others of its kind, as a warning cry that reveals the location of the caller to a predator.

Old 01-11-2008, 00:37   #44
Give, give, give member

Certainly an altruistic act, because the mother expects nothing in return.

This thread came back up because the thought just came to me.

Besides I'm not aware of any time scale for answering threads on here.

Old 01-11-2008, 00:48   #45
I am Banned

altruism isnt about expecting anything in return its more about doing something for no reason at all. Its not about karma and all that bumf.
feeding anew born baby isnt an altruistic act - why is it ? Getting down to basics its about keeping the gene pool going- it is an instinctive act the reason a mother keeps feeding her baby is to keep the baby alive, and hopefully it will thrive into a strong human being who will pass on equally strong genes.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..