Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2007, 18:45   #16
God Member

Re: Reclaim your bank charges

Boyfriends trying to do this at the moment. He's owed around £800.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-06-2007, 07:34   #17

Who does he bank with Blazey and where is he up to at the moment?
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 16:48   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisser View Post
Who does he bank with Blazey and where is he up to at the moment?
Halifax and he's been charged around £800. He's on his final letter to them to ask for his money back I think.

I saw something not so long back though in the times about a change in the law about recovering bank charges, I wish i'd read it properly now. I'm sure it said a bill had been past so that banks had more rights to charge people. Think alot of reclaims probably take up court time but I really cant remember.

Anyway I know he hasn't been offered his money back yet
Old 29-06-2007, 16:58   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Halifax and he's been charged around £800. He's on his final letter to them to ask for his money back I think.

I saw something not so long back though in the times about a change in the law about recovering bank charges, I wish i'd read it properly now. I'm sure it said a bill had been past so that banks had more rights to charge people. Think alot of reclaims probably take up court time but I really cant remember.

Anyway I know he hasn't been offered his money back yet
Check this out:
BBC NEWS | Business | Judge slams bank payout delays

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 17:10   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Ah maybe I'm thinking of something else then. I don't read BBC news so I don't see these articles.
Old 03-07-2007, 15:12   #21

The Halifax really took their time with me - sent my original letter back in Feb asking for the money back and got the final response in June (which was a no). If they still say no blazey print off the form from the Financial Ombudsman website. They wrote back to me within a week saying they have contacted the bank asking them to return my money etc. Will see if the Halifax takes more notice of them.
Old 03-07-2007, 15:17   #22
God Member

Quote:
The Halifax really took their time with me - sent my original letter back in Feb asking for the money back and got the final response in June (which was a no). If they still say no blazey print off the form from the Financial Ombudsman website. They wrote back to me within a week saying they have contacted the bank asking them to return my money etc. Will see if the Halifax takes more notice of them.
I don't know whether he's going to carry it on. Halifax recently demanded he started paying more money into his account but you can imagine why he doesn't want to pay off an overdraft when the money just gets took out again via charges.

I need to open a new bank account soon for my student card but all the hassle he's had with halifax has really put me off, even though i've never had a problem with them myself. I think i'll be going with RBS but no doubt they will be just as bad aswell.
Old 03-07-2007, 15:20   #23

I am definately carrying it all on - its not wasting any of my time, just the odd letter to the bank and finally the form to the Ombudsman. They will take over from here, and if I end up a few hundred quid richer I don't care how long it takes!
Old 03-07-2007, 16:16   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I don't know whether he's going to carry it on. Halifax recently demanded he started paying more money into his account but you can imagine why he doesn't want to pay off an overdraft when the money just gets took out again via charges.
If he has an agreed overdraft there aren't any real charges, normally its just a small interest charge. If its unauthorised then hes still responsible for all charges irrespective of him paying his money in . If he's in teh latter camp then I would HIGHLY recommend going down and talking to them, get them to agree an overdraft and agree a repayment plan that suits his budget, burying his head in the sand is not the way forward when it comes to debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey

I need to open a new bank account soon for my student card but all the hassle he's had with halifax has really put me off, even though i've never had a problem with them myself. I think i'll be going with RBS but no doubt they will be just as bad aswell.
you will normally find all teh banks clammouring for your account when you go to uni, sit back, collect the info then make a reasoned choice as to whose set of benefits suis you the best.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 16:56   #25
Full Member+

just visited a top website with loads of information on how to claim back all your charges + interest !! with all the procedures + template letters that you can download. address is :

moneysavingexpert.com/bankcharges

lots of helpfull info on how to get back your hard earned !
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 19:02   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
If he has an agreed overdraft there aren't any real charges, normally its just a small interest charge. If its unauthorised then hes still responsible for all charges irrespective of him paying his money in . If he's in teh latter camp then I would HIGHLY recommend going down and talking to them, get them to agree an overdraft and agree a repayment plan that suits his budget, burying his head in the sand is not the way forward when it comes to debt.

you will normally find all teh banks clammouring for your account when you go to uni, sit back, collect the info then make a reasoned choice as to whose set of benefits suis you the best.
He has paid £800 in charges from going over the overdraft accidently. Normally by a few pence. I've done my research on banks, I'm just a bit put off by the possibilities of going over the overdraft and getting charges that amount to such an amount. However I'm more sensible with my money than him so I dont have too much to worry about I guess.

As for him getting his money back, he can do his own research
Old 06-07-2007, 11:51   #27
God Member

Quote:
I am definately carrying it all on - its not wasting any of my time, just the odd letter to the bank and finally the form to the Ombudsman. They will take over from here, and if I end up a few hundred quid richer I don't care how long it takes!
Good for you..........Look at this one:

BBC NEWS | Business | Bailiffs to go in at Abbey branch

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 15:41   #28

Well, I have got a letter from the Financial Ombudsman. They have written to my bank (The Halifax) who, although deny they are in the wrong, will refund my bank charges rather than go through an investigation with the Ombudsman people!! All I had to do was sign the letter they enclosed to say I agreed this was fair etc and I am now awaiting a cheque! Yipeeee

Easy peasy - urge anyone to go ahead and do as I did. Letter Templates attached to previous post.
Old 20-07-2007, 04:31   #29
Senior Member+

excellant kisser

did u get all the amount u claimed for?
Old 20-07-2007, 14:10   #30
Passed away 25-11-09

My daughter has just been offered refund of £1060.40 by Barclays Bank. She started the claim 6 weeks ago and she will have the money within the next 2 weeks. There was no arguing by the bank, she obtained a list from them of all the charges and sent in an itemised claim. They agreed all but £200 of it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..