Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2007, 14:45   #1
Senior Member+

Reclaim your bank charges

I dont know if this works as i've just seen it myself

buttttttttt

it does look promising and the forum i found it on a few of the hardcore users were vouching for this

The law is plain: any charges banks levy on their customers must be proportional to the actual costs they incur. The simple question is, ‘does it really cost £35 to send an automated letter when someone’s gone 1p over the limit?’
Thus write to your bank asking for a list of your last six years’ charges, add interest on top and ask for a full refund. When it refuses inform it you’ll go to court under the small claims system. In most cases, the bank will simply pay out; one person received £17,500.
Yet this isn’t an official process like getting Missold Endowment Compensation; it's about challenging the big beasts of the banking world and threatening them with court action. Push it to its limit and you may find yourself in a real fight, so do your preparation and research and take this seriously. There’s no guarantee of winning, but so far the majority of people have.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi...41050760,24632,
Old 15-02-2007, 14:49   #2
God Member

Re: Reclaim your bank charges

Yes it's all true. Ginger picks a fella up in his taxi that works for a company that will fight for your charges back.....I did have his number somewhere. A lot of people are actually doing it now....and winning their money back that they have lost due to banks charging £30-£35 for sending a letter out when you are something like £2:00 over your limit, and the bank is aware that money goes into the account regularly.

Good luck to anyone who claims it back...... bleeding banks.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 14:52   #3
Resting in Peace

This thread was on last year
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...t=bank+charges
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 14:55   #4
Senior Member+

they've bloody ripped the entire wallet outta my pocket the ******

payback is comin....
Old 15-02-2007, 18:03   #5
God Member

they will normally make you an offer as opposed to the full amount.

Never ever bother with these companies that claim it back for you. They charge an extorianate rate for effectively writing 3 letters. YOu really can do this yourself

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 18:14   #6
God Member

There seems to be a few people at work claiming back their bank charges..... have to agree that some charges are a real rip off. I left my last bank because they wouldn't admit to charging when they shouldn't have done. Back then it had to go to the banking ombudsman but I still won my case and they lost a custome. Thank fully have had no charges from current bank

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 18:29   #7
Senior Member+

just be sure to have another account open IF you go ahead and claim them back as once your bank does pay out they close said account..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 15:40   #8

Yes as G.G.,be wary report in the paper state banks have closed accounts of claimees!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 18:24   #9
Senior Member+

A businessman from Norfolk has recovered a record £35,987.94 from NatWest after accusing it of charging him unlawful overdraft fees.

The man, who wishes to remain anonymous, had challenged the fees that the bank had levied for bouncing cheques from his company.

NatWest said it was settling the case only because its legal costs were becoming too high.

It is just the latest example of a bank repaying such penalty charges.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6559673.stm
Old 16-04-2007, 20:16   #10

I wonder if i could get my money back from yorkshire bank . I have not been with them for 3 years and they took an absolute fortune off me, in one week they took £150 and that was the first week in january!

I now bank with halifax and have had a couple of charges but wouldn't want them to close my account for the sake of only a few quid.
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 22:05   #11
Senior Member+

worth a shot y not?
Old 17-04-2007, 11:46   #12

The Daily Mail has been running a campaign about Bank Charges for a while now and on their website you can download letters to send to your bank.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/reclaimbankcharges

I have a couple of bank accounts with the Halifax and over the years have accumulated a few bank charges. I sent the stage one letter a few weeks ago and received six years of bank statements for a £5 charge on each account. I am now up to stage 2 of reclaiming the money back.

I am not sure how easy it will be to get the money back and will keep you all posted - but I would certainly not pay someone else to do the work! I have only sent two letters!

As Entwisi says they will most likely offer you a sum less than the amount you ask for - but according to the Daily Mail you should turn this down and fight for the full amount.

Spud - you are able to reclaim bank charges even though you are not with the bank anymore, as you can reclaim for the past six years. Write to the bank using the letters from the Daily Mail.

If they threaten closure of your account then you can claim compensation and the Daily Mail website has a letter for this too! I wouldn't let closure of the account worry you Spud - its only a few quid they owe me, but just one charge of £35 is a night out, why should it be in the Halifax's pocket and not yours!
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 13:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
just be sure to have another account open IF you go ahead and claim them back as once your bank does pay out they close said account..
can and do they actually close the account, can they really do this?
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 13:40   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
can and do they actually close the account, can they really do this?
yes they can and quite often do!!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 17:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisser View Post
I am not sure how easy it will be to get the money back and will keep you all posted
Well I said I would keep you posted...

I sent the Daily Mails template letter to the Halifax to reclaim the charges and a few weeks later (after a number of letters from them imbetween saying they were investigating etc) I got a letter back basically saying "no - I agreed to charges when I signed up for the account etc etc".

So I then downloaded a copy of a complaint form from the Financial Ombudsman Website (http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm). It is now in their hands, so will see how it goes from here.

I will attach templates from the two letters to send to the bank and hope these will help people who have fines reclaim their charges. If anyone needs any help with this I dont mind assisting.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Reclaim 1.doc (24.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: doc Reclaim 2.doc (24.5 KB, 23 views)
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..