Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2018, 20:53   #1891
Beacon of light

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Oh Less....you are a star!
Thank you for turning my frown upside down.
All this is getting too, too tedious.
My simple response would be to go to Brussels, tell them what was on offer, if they wanted it then they needed to get their ducks in a row...If not then we would be leaving on the aforementioned date, there would be no cash from that point on, no trade agreements and no free movement....then I would turn and walk....making sure the door was firmly slammed behind me.
There would be no....'well, we'll give you this, or that' or any damn thing else.
And just watch them come after me.
Play hard ball with their balls(the game sort of course).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2018, 20:55   #1892
Beacon of light

No...I don't work week ends nor do I do European travel either!
Old 09-07-2018, 21:07   #1893
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No...I don't work week ends nor do I do European travel either!
Maybe it's time we did both?

European travel in a few tanks and do it at a week-end when all their know all bosses are having time off?

Let's face it, they wouldn't dare stop us until they got the correct paperwork!

P.S. that is me, the older I get the more like monty I look, which is strange because when I was born I was supposedly ugly enough to look like Churchill!

Last edited by Less; 09-07-2018 at 21:10.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 21:18   #1894
Beacon of light

I like the cut of your tank.....but didn't we haul their sorry a$$es out of the mire in the past?
This is how they repay their allies. All is forgotten...except the debt they THINK we owe them....nothing said about their moral debt to the UK.
But then we aren't supposed to mention the war are we??
I never did trust those on the other side of the channel....especially the frogs.
Old 09-07-2018, 21:23   #1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I like the cut of your tank.....but didn't we haul their sorry a$$es out of the mire in the past?
This is how they repay their allies. All is forgotten...except the debt they THINK we owe them....nothing said about their moral debt to the UK.
But then we aren't supposed to mention the war are we??
I never did trust those on the other side of the channel....especially the frogs.
Wasn't one of the main members just a touch, maybe a little, slightly, not quite middle of the road and rather biased towards not being an Allie? However, that is enough about the French, let bygones be bygones.
Old 09-07-2018, 21:55   #1896

Do do seem to remember reading somewhere that one of the Nazi back up plans was to stash a few gold bars here and there just in case things went whoopsie and invest them in creating a group of countries within Europe so that eventually they would still gain control.

Of course I dismissed the idea because my elders and betters said that they couldn't be so forward thinking, the common feeling was Nah, we wouldn't be fooled again.
Jim Procter likes this.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:35   #1897
God Member

the worst thing is that the majority of us can do sod all about brexit. i hate whats going on at the moment but my memory is still fine. come the day any pro european comes up for election lets give em what they,ve been wanting, a big kick up the jacksy any chance we get.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:20   #1898
Beacon of light

It will not make one jot of difference whatever we do....they are immune to anything we have in our arsenal.
While in politics these 'honourable members' make contingency plans, they network so that come the day they are booted out...they will still have more money than you can poke a stick at.
No one leaves politics a pauper.
Look at Tony Blair and those of his ilk...rolling in it they are....after dinner speakers, foreign envoys, writers of memoirs....all lucrative pursuits where there is no actual physical work done.
They do not know they are born.
Jim Procter likes this.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:36   #1899
Beacon of light

The cynical side of me (I know, I know....how can someone so sweet have a cynical side?)wonders if all the resignations, the brinkmanship is part of the plan to scupper any chance of leaving the EU in the way that electorate voted for.
I am sure that those who voted to leave meant leave entirely...not a Hokey Cokey leave, with one foot in, one foot out and absolutely no say over what happens and into this bargain is that we STILL pay our good hard earned cash.

Maybe the meeting at Chequers was NOT to plan policy, to brink the doom mongers to heel...Maybe it was to plan a nefarious route to keep us hand cuffed to Brussels forever.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:00   #1900

To quote the modern philosopher Joe Walsh:

"I go to parties
Sometimes until four.
It's hard to leave
When you can't find the door."

(From "Life's been good to me so far")
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:00   #1901
God Member

Maybe the meeting at Chequers was NOT to plan policy, to brink the doom mongers to heel...Maybe it was to plan a nefarious route to keep us hand cuffed to Brussels forever.[/QUOTE]

a hell of a lot of those who know best for all of us poor thick sods wanted to remain even may. if you are not totally behind anything in life you will not put one hundred per cent into it wether its leaving the EU or playing football.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:05   #1902
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreJoe View Post
To quote the modern philosopher Joe Walsh:

"I go to parties
Sometimes until four.
It's hard to leave
When you can't find the door."

(From "Life's been good to me so far")
I prefer the Hotel California lyric...it seems more appropriate....
'You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave'

The current proposals would mean exactly that...and it is NOT what was voted for.
Old 15-07-2018, 08:05   #1903
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Have yez heard MAYS latest? agree with me or there will be NO BREXIT. i sincerely hope the bitch is dumped PDQ. the remaining cow is determined to have a soft brexit or stay in, i was foolish enough to believe the crap she spouted earlier.
Old 15-07-2018, 09:42   #1904
Beacon of light

Well, I read it as get behind me and support my plan.....because we have already signed up to article 50....which means we will be out of the EU on 29th of March next year.
Whatever TM says it is happening.
Now whether that is with some kind of negotiated agreement on the thorny issues of trade or the ECJ or a customs union is a totally different matter.

My feeling is that when TM goes to Brussels with what is in the recent White Paper....Michel Barnier(his name means barrier, by the way) he will kick the proposals into the long grass.

This will mean that we will get what is termed a 'hard Brexit'...the EU want it to be like that because they passionately hope to see the UK fail.
This would deter other upstart nations from trying to follow suit.

It will not be a one foot in, one foot out deal. (A deal that would leave us as law takers and tax collectors for the EU....acolony of the E u if you like. I certainly do not want any part of a deal like that...because we would still be paying in) It would mean that we need pay none of the 39 billion pounds.....and we can take back our laws and borders....which is what most of the leavers voted for anyway.
Old 15-07-2018, 10:12   #1905
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

To be honest Margaret i aint convinced,he will kick it into touch, i think may has been talking to him on the Q.T. for quite awhile now hope i'm wrong but am very doubtful.also doubt if the want us to leave "Money Talks"

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..