Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2006, 11:01   #16

Re: Regional Accents.

I Like a soft Scotish accent( Edinburgh ) Clare Grogan comes to mind.
I don,t Like mine, Which is a Lancashire . But then again does anybody like the sound of there own voice.
I also so like Icelandic.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2006, 13:26   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat
I Like a soft Scotish accent( Edinburgh ) Clare Grogan comes to mind.
I don,t Like mine, Which is a Lancashire . But then again does anybody like the sound of there own voice.
I also so like Icelandic.
The lovely wee Clare is actually from Glasgow, but does have a great accent.

http://www.sukeplow.demon.co.uk/altered/altered.htm

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 14:59   #18
God Member

I like

Geordie
Eire - definitely a nicer sound from the south
Somerset - cider country

I don't like
North Manchester
Fake accents - and you can usually spot them
Mid Atlantic drawl that's neither American or English!

I also like French accents when they're speaking English.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 16:17   #19
Senior Member+

My favourite has got to be the Aussie accent.Followed closely by the southern Irish.Im sorry if I offend anyone on here but my worst accent has got to be scouse,followed closely by brummie.
Old 14-06-2006, 21:01   #20
Junior Member+

have to love the geordie accent, as i have oneirish is well funny so like that aswell ermm thats about it for me likes, have to say i hate southern accents, but that has to do with me hating them full stop(big headed f**kers!!) and im talking about london area there becuase just thought that to me you are southern!! dont mind the lancashire accent, even though to me it makes no sense whatsoever, and brings me on to the subject of why the hell you lot call buns, tea cakes or balms, never got my head round that and still get funny looks when in the chippy asking for a portion of chips with a bun, looks like i just ran in there house and p((sed on there kids (thankx peter kay for that saying!!)
dean2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 22:39   #21
Accy Goddess

I love Aussie accents and Scouse accents an also like the Geordie accent.
Don't like the broad hard to understand Scots accent. Do like a nice Irish lilt.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 01:45   #22
God Member

likes 1 South African/Rhodesian
2 New Zealand
3 Southern U S (Texan/Okie/Arkie)

dislike 1 Austrian German
2 Australian
3 Boston US
4 New York US
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 02:05   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I do not like:

1) Upper-Class Twit accent

2) Scouse accent

3) East Midlands accent.

4) Sarf London accent (which is not cockney)

Geordie and Glaswegian are not accents; they are languages, on a par with some of the obscure Amazonian Indian languages and both comprise a simple linguistic structure amounting to ten or twelve different grunts, five clearings of the nasal passage, a couple of reverse farts and nowt else.
East midlands! thats me tealeaf,North Warwickshire, the very centre of England, home to the battle of bosworth, war of the roses, last battle of boudica, Englands first booktown, the jewel of the midlands. why, it's a very middle of the road accent, with pronunciation of words giving it away as being quite close to wolverhampton/blackcountry, rather than an accent(goo instead of go, a lot of locals also say lof instead of laugh, um instead of home,which are blackcountry, although strangely only a few odd words are used that are blackcountry. It's been described in several places during the days when I travelled the country as having 'a very slight twang'.
It's only recently that it's been pointed out that we are using black country words with only a very weak birmingham acccent. Also it's strange because they are black country words and yet birmingham is nearer yet they don't use them.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 02:18   #24
God Member

I don't really dislike any, I think each is unique and shows that each area of the country has a unique character, unique identity, unique people with their own way of speaking, way of doing things, outlook on life and personality traits.

I dislike the people changing them more. and mostly thats bigger cities which is probably something to do with that I tend to hear them more and they get annoying. People like lisa on bb speak with that sloby cocky drawnout manc accent. it's very chavy.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 08:53   #25
God Member

Is there a name for people who appear accentless? I can think of 2 people off the top of my head. Sorry but your one of them Mr Rindy Roo. I was talking to mthead about accentless people and we both agreed yours isn't noticeable.

Do you loose your accent the more you move around the country and instead of adopting other accents you just seem accentless or does it depend were your from?
Old 15-06-2006, 12:25   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Is there a name for people who appear accentless? I can think of 2 people off the top of my head. Sorry but your one of them Mr Rindy Roo. I was talking to mthead about accentless people and we both agreed yours isn't noticeable.

Do you loose your accent the more you move around the country and instead of adopting other accents you just seem accentless or does it depend were your from?
People have said that to me before.

I think it started when I moved to Liverpool to do my degree, then working in London for years, followed by a couple of years in Scotland.

In London a lot of the people I worked for came from all over the world so you ended up having to speak clearly, that's probably why my accent is accentless perhaps.

Even though I may not sound it, in my heart I will always be 'E by gum'.

Old 15-06-2006, 12:39   #27
Give, give, give member

Ooops. Loosing the plot.

Last edited by garinda; 15-06-2006 at 12:42.
Old 15-06-2006, 12:55   #28
Super Moderator

That's strange, when I've had the occasional word with you on the Clayton End, I thought you did have a local accent, albeit not very extreme. I must stop drinking that Stella in the Oakleigh!
Old 15-06-2006, 13:17   #29
God Member

I love a good old lancashire accent, a lovely southern irish accent and i also like a soft scottish accent.
my hates include geordie accent, southern accent hard to understand, haha and welsh
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 14:58   #30

I have lived in Australia for nearly 18 years and I sound just like I have come off the boat, now my brother came out here 3 years ago and his kids sound just like Aussies, I think you lose your accent quicker when you are young,also I have found since living here in Oz, it is just one accent for all the country, they can't beleive that you only need to travel few miles in England and you can pick up changes, for example I am from Gt Harwood and my Wife is from Whalley and they think she is from another part of England.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..