Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2006, 21:25   #46
Resident Waffler

Re: Regional Accents.

I love the west of Ireland accents, particularly south west. (or wesht as they say) I also rather like the lilt of the Welsh and the Geordie.

I don't particularly like Brummie as they can sound a bit dim and slow but I do like Jasper Carrot which is a bit of a contradiction.

When I used to go over to Ireland a lot they used to tell me I didn't sound very English but I do find that when I'm talking to Irish people seem to slip further away from Lancashire and further towards Irish. It can be quite funny at times. I remember a friend of the family in Ireland saying I was the most Irish sounding English born Irish woman he'd ever known!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2006, 12:33   #47
God Member

Got asked where I was from and told I talk funny, by people from coalville just up the road. Worse still It wan't just me, I was with my brother too, so we both talk funny. At least I don't pronounce bonnie as bonah. bloomin leicestershire people can't speak proper themselves.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 12:39   #48
I am Banned

I've got friend in Leicestershire & they dont speak like Bonnaah shes one on her own is that one!!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 14:59   #49

There is one thing I've noticed, particularly on tv from commentaters is in the last decade or so, is a gradual change of the vowel 'u'. We all know how we pronounce it in lanky and we all know how the southerners pronounce it. But there are alot of english words that have to be pronounced like the lanky 'u' regardles of where your'e from. For example:- J.W.Bush. This name should be pronounced with the lanky 'u' but the habit of the toffee nosed buggers has been to pronounce it somewhere between the southern 'u and almost like they are saying Bash. Its almost as though they don't want to associate themselves with the lanky 'u' any more. They have even started doing it with the words ' would and could' and other like words. Silly sods. Me , well I like my own accy dialect best even though I can speak oz no worries. Sometimes I find myself mixing both together, especially after a few turps. or when I meet another pom with an accent. The Welsh accent I like and the Irish as well. American!! No thanks.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 16:18   #50
Resting In Peace

Even the local folks in Bury (which no matter what anyone says is still in Lanky as far as I am concerned) have started to call it Berry. We can't win!
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 16:57   #51
God Member

Quote:
Silly sods. Me , well I like my ow
lanky 'me' lol
I have no idea what your getting at terry to be honest, how do southerners pronounce 'u' then, are you saying they say 'a'? or 'e' i'm lostcos I'm more northern than southern, if I moved anywhere it would be north. with the exception of perhaps kent, or devon
Bury has always been bury to me, not berry as in newbury, despite people telling me it's not down here. another is shrewsbury, the locals say it shrew s bury, elsewhere its shrowbery and I get told off for it, when I'm the one thats bloomin right lol.

Mel, I think she had a speach impediment, because as you say they don't sound that bad, but you get what I mean. they're like 19 miles from here, loughborough is 22, but then look at you and the manks.

I didn't realise bury was lancs, but then I suppose it would have been, along with wigan, and merseyside. do bury people thinbk of themselves as lancs or or mancs, cos wigan think of themselves as lancs.
Old 25-06-2006, 17:10   #52
Resting In Peace

I think it depends which football team you support wether they think of themselves as Lanks or Manks, if you support Bury (The Shakers) its Lank but if its Man Utd its Mank also there is a shortage of letter Ts over here as lots of people don't pronounce it.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 17:28   #53
God Member

I could say somethin, but I'd upset the man u fans and the non of the non manu fans will rescue me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..