Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2006, 15:51   #31
God Member

Re: Regional Accents.

I wouldn't say rindy has a local accent, although in a pub it's hard to tell. It's called a bbc accent, after the news readers that used to read the news without an accent.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2006, 16:06   #32
Passed away 25-11-09

In 1972 we moved to Durham City, from North Yorkshire, when my older children were aged 9 and 7. My daughter, the older one, continued to speak as she did and still does, more or less accentless. My son was speaking like a native Durhamite within weeks. Three years later we moved here to Cheshire. My son started at Primary School here and came home very upset, saying (in broad Durham again), "Nobody will play with me 'cause they say I'm Scottish and they don't understand me". I think it took him about a week to lose the Durham accent and fit in with everyone else.
Old 15-06-2006, 16:17   #33
God Member

lol, thats actually funny isn't it, and proves that most of the accent is habit, we do a lot of it because others do. I wonder if I'd lose my strange accent if I moved.
Old 15-06-2006, 18:21   #34
I am Banned

Children are great at picking up accents easily & quickly even just being with another accented person.

My mate rang me last night all lancashire soon as we talk about Coleen roons misses & mikey out of big brother - oh geez her native scouse came out even more you can tell when she's in a right mood it rears its head though least you can run quick as soon as the twang starts pmsl
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 19:45   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
I wonder if I'd lose my strange accent if I moved.
I think it would depend on how strong an accent the area had. My auntie moved to Liverpool in the 80's to go to university and has adopted a very strong scouse accent.
Old 15-06-2006, 22:37   #36
God Member

Not strong anything here, all the strong ones are all around brummie black country wolves derby, notts loughborough(bonnah) leicester, coventry and me stuck in the middle, bit of everything.
I personally think I started to pick up some liverpool during the eight years I was either up visiting or living there but I'm sure I'm cured now. I'd rather have a lancs accent than scouse anyday, me.

mel whats a twang?
Old 18-06-2006, 23:28   #37

only dislike any accent that comes from someone who is so stuck up there own a** **** they try to think they know the queens english better! other than that i love being a Lancashire lad! Accy and proud of it
Old 18-06-2006, 23:37   #38
God Member

yes, you are what you are, and as long as you make the best of what you are and don't pretend your better than what you are then you should be proud, good on ya.
Old 18-06-2006, 23:45   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

used to mate with a guy (irish) whose wife was accy born n bred but everytime they went across the water for a holiday his missus came back with the strongest irish accent you ever heard lol and he talked as lancashire as me. happy days- was really good mickey taking material.
Old 19-06-2006, 19:57   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
used to mate with a guy (irish) whose wife was accy born n bred but everytime they went across the water for a holiday his missus came back with the strongest irish accent you ever heard lol and he talked as lancashire as me. happy days- was really good mickey taking material.
I know the feeling cashy. When I go on holiday to Ireland and stop with my cousins they cant tell what i'm saying - they say i have a broad lancashire accent! When I come back everybody says they cant tell what i'm saying because i've picked up the irish accent!

Can't win either way can i!
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2006, 20:14   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Geordie and Glaswegian are not accents; they are languages, on a par with some of the obscure Amazonian Indian languages and both comprise a simple linguistic structure amounting to ten or twelve different grunts, five clearings of the nasal passage, a couple of reverse farts and nowt else.
I'm sorry Tealeaf but that's just an ignorant point of view..........by the way.
Old 19-06-2006, 20:18   #42
Resting In Peace

My pal Dennis (UBZ on Accyweb) emigrated to Canada in the early 90s and has never been back to the UK since, the Canadians could not understand what he was saying in his Lanky accent although it was not all that broad so he develped a Canadian accent, I met up with him a few months ago on MSN and we had a chat on the microphones, I was quite surprised that his Lancashire accent has virtually dissappeared.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2006, 22:42   #43
white rabbits

When you look at the lovely Lesley Garret,,you cant imagine that deep Yorkshire accent...
Old 20-06-2006, 08:22   #44

I can't believe how broad Lisa Stanfeild talks. after listening to her records
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2006, 11:09   #45
Senior Member+

I love the kentish accent (im so modest) lol and i hate my mixed kent and lancashire accent,it dissapears nicely when im talking to southerners

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..