Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2008, 20:12   #31
Senior Member+

Re: school

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
As we have been told often enough, jambutty only sticks his oar in when he is has the full facts. This thread was about fining parents for taking kids out of school during term time, but if I had a child at a secondary school in Darwen I would be more concerned about some old bloke sat in a chair watching the school gates at something to nine and 3.30 every day

with a watch and clipboard and a copy of the school prospectus ticking off what time each teacher arrives and leaves...............

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-07-2008, 20:16   #32
Passed away 25-11-09

My granddaughter's primary school is just round the corner from my house. My daughter is on the PTA committee. Yes, the PTA that teachers attend meetings once a month (a couple of hours in an evening) to plan, amongst other things, fundraising events (evenings, weekends etc.) that they will be involved in.

Juniors finish school at 3.30 but, oh, there's netball and football after school twice a week (teachers needed) and, ooh yes, singing club 'til 4.15 on a Wednesday, run by a teacher. A peripatetic teacher runs Drama Club on Mondays - at 8 a.m. - but there has to be at least one home-based teacher on hand, not to mention the school secretary. Laura's in a play tomorrow evening and again on Wednesday evening. Every class teacher will be there as all the children are taking part.

My brother's late wife was a primary teacher. I used to pull her leg about the long holidays but, honestly, I wouldn't have liked to have to do all the evening and weekend stuff that she did. Nor would I have liked to have to start the school year with up to 30 very small children (she taught the reception class) and send them on to the next class, 11 months later, with basic literacy and numeracy skills and, in some cases, a newly acquired ability to wipe their own bottoms and eat with a knife and fork.

Sorry for continuing the thread-wander. I'll shut up now.

Last edited by West Ender; 14-07-2008 at 20:18.
West Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 20:19   #33
God Member

In addition to all the holidays , what about the excellent pay which increases every year....?
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 20:20   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
My granddaughter's primary school is just round the corner from my house. My daughter is on the PTA committee. Yes, the PTA that teachers attend meetings once a month (a couple of hours in an evening) to plan, amongst other things, fundraising events (evenings, weekends etc.) that they will be involved in.

Juniors finish school at 3.30 but, oh, there's netball and football after school twice a week (teachers needed) and, ooh yes, singing club 'til 4.15 on a Wednesday, run by a teacher. A peripatetic teacher runs Drama Club on Mondays - at 8 a.m. - but there has to be at least one home-based teacher on hand, not to mention the school secretary. Laura's in a play tomorrow evening and again on Wednesday evening. Every class teacher will be there as all the children are taking part.

My brother's late wife was a primary teacher. I used to pull her leg about the long holidays but, honestly, I wouldn't have liked to have to do all the evening and weekend stuff that she did. Nor would I have liked to have to start the school year with up to 30 very small children (she taught the reception class) and send them on to the next class, 11 months later, with basic literacy and numeracy skills and, in some cases, a newly acquired ability to wipe their own bottoms and eat with a knife and fork.

Sorry for continuing the thread-wander. I'll shut up now.

can i add..... teach them to speak english as well?? i'm gunaa go for a wander in the archives to find a previous post i made about what teachers have to put up with...

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 14-07-2008, 20:23   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
In addition to all the holidays , what about the excellent pay which increases every year....?
Compared to what? Other graduate careers pay much more. As for the pay increases, well the last 2 years has seen a 2.5% pay increase each year, which was about the rate of inflation. I'd have thought you'd have known all that?

I'm not going to bother with all this anymore. There are some very silly, misinformed and ignorant people around. Just a same that they don't realise it.
Old 14-07-2008, 20:26   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
whilst working as a teaching assistant I have been.....vomited on, wee'd on, pooed on, groped,flashed at, punched, pushed over, bitten,spat at, verbally abused by children and parents,threatened by a father when we wouldnt let him take his child, i have had headlice numerous times, been in contact with ringworm and tapeworm. Working with children you have more chance of catching the numerous coughs, colds and virus' that go around and the childhood illnesses such as chicken pox etc......

I think the deserve what they are asking for !
Quote:
Just to add.......If anyone is interested in becoming a teaching assistant, contact your local college.
found it.......

Old 14-07-2008, 20:30   #37
God Member

[quote=Tin Monkey;606556 There are some very silly, misinformed and ignorant people around.[/quote]

There certainly are.

People who think that teachers are living the life of Reilly clearly need to shadow a teacher for a week.

They would eat their words when they saw the amount of work they do.

The idea that teachers only work 30 odd weeks a year, Mon-Fri 9am-3.30pm is about as far from the truth as you can get.
Old 15-07-2008, 15:20   #38
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: school

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
As we have been told often enough, jambutty only sticks his oar in when he is has the full facts. This thread was about fining parents for taking kids out of school during term time, but if I had a child at a secondary school in Darwen I would be more concerned about some old bloke sat in a chair watching the school gates at something to nine and 3.30 every day
You are implying what?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..