Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2008, 16:25   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: school

Teachers don't get "11 weeks off" - they get 11 weeks not in school but the majority of that time is still spent working.

At present parents can be fined £100 for taking a child on holiday without permission but this year I asked for permission for my youngest daughter to have a week off in order to go on holiday with my s-i-l who booked the week before half term thinking it was half term. This was granted after having been put to the head and the LEA. They look at each case individually and take into account (amongst other things) attendance and how well they are doing at school.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-07-2008, 16:33   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I didn't say that it wasn't. I merely commented on the fact that teachers do not have a choice as to when they take holidays. I bet there'd be loads of parents complaining if there wasn't a teacher to teach their child because the teacher had 'gone on holiday'.
I think it would be great all round if we could have more teachers who could have time off on a rota and less school holidays, but don't tell the kids
Old 14-07-2008, 16:56   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Teachers don't get "11 weeks off" - they get 11 weeks not in school but the majority of that time is still spent working.

Really..? remind me to tell the wife .....she must use her ppa time in school very wisely then........and still comes up trumps with ofsted. Oh and i was wrong...its 13 weeks, look at it how you will its still 9 more weeks than the average worker.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 17:14   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Really..? remind me to tell the wife .....she must use her ppa time in school very wisely then........and still comes up trumps with ofsted. Oh and i was wrong...its 13 weeks, look at it how you will its still 9 more weeks than the average worker.
Do you mean the average worker who works 9 to 5 and then finishes work, as opposed to a teacher who works 8 to 5 and then still works evenings and weekends?
Old 14-07-2008, 17:17   #20
God Member

Quote:
Do you mean the average worker who works 9 to 5 and then finishes work, as opposed to a teacher who works 8 to 5 and then still works evenings and weekends?

Don`t make me laugh.......
Old 14-07-2008, 17:20   #21
Senior Member+

Sounds like a Primary School teacher. Tell me if I'm wrong.
Old 14-07-2008, 17:21   #22
God Member

Quote:
Sounds like a Primary School teacher. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Secondary.......... Although i better not say which one...
Old 14-07-2008, 17:23   #23
Senior Member+

Why would I want to make you laugh? I don't even know you.
Old 14-07-2008, 19:30   #24
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: school

Well! Well! Well! Let me see if I’ve got this straight.

Most people are suggesting that this idea of fining parents for taking children out of school to go on holiday out of school holiday time is wrong because of - waffle, waffle, waffle.

Yet not too long ago in a different thread but also about schools, those same people were going on about children having to be in school during school hours - waffle, waffle, waffle.

So which is it to be? Conforming to school rules or not? Silly me! I forgot! Some posters change their opinions to suit themselves as often as I smoke a fag.

Hypocrisy rules on AccyWeb.

At least someone had the good sense to ask what happens to the fine.
Old 14-07-2008, 19:32   #25
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: school

Quote:
Teachers working 8 till 5? You can’t be serious!

I live directly across the road from a secondary school and the teachers arrive in their droves shortly before school starts and can’t get away fast enough after the last pupil has left. More like something to nine to shortly after three thirty. Knocking off time is more like the start of the Le Mans as they dash to their cars and scream away.

If teachers knew their subjects thoroughly they wouldn’t need to make lengthy preparations the night before, just a simple which bit of the subject is the next to teach.

In spite of their protestations to the contrary, compared to the factory/office/shop etc worker, teachers have it easy when it comes to holidays.
Old 14-07-2008, 19:35   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

If teachers knew their subjects thoroughly they wouldn’t need to make lengthy preparations the night before, just a simple which bit of the subject is the next to teach.

In spite of their protestations to the contrary, compared to the factory/office/shop etc worker, teachers have it easy when it comes to holidays.

Quite very true Mr JB
Old 14-07-2008, 19:36   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

I live directly across the road from a secondary school and the teachers arrive in their droves shortly before school starts and can’t get away fast enough after the last pupil has left. More like something to nine to shortly after three thirty. Knocking off time is more like the start of the Le Mans as they dash to their cars and scream away.

I used to start at 8.30 am.... and the teachers where there... i finished at half 4 and so did many of the teachers

In primary school just teaching the children is not good enough.... you have to have worksheets, plan activities, pictures to colour, things to make etc.....these have to be organised mostly by the teacher (as theta's have activities of their own to organise and obviously not in class time

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 19:42   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Quite very true Mr JB
I only saw this due to the quote, but yet again you are talking out of your arse JB. If you had even the beginnings of any knowledge of working in the education system you'd know that you were talking crap yet again.

If you (or anyone else) believes that any teacher can do their job effectively and to the best of their ability only working from 8:40-ish to to 3:30-ish, then you are so far wide of the mark that it beggars belief.

Your comment about subject knowledge just shows how ignorant you are of the facts. The majority of teachers today are actually over-qualified in terms of subject knowledge. If all teachers had to do was teach what they knew, then the job would be a doddle.
Old 14-07-2008, 19:49   #29
God Member

I took my children out of school as a one off in June.

I had to ask the headteacher for permission and she gave it straight away.

No mention was made of a fine.

I think it has already been said that schools have the power, if they see fit, to fine parents, it does not mean that they issue everyone who takes holidays in term time with a fine.

Perhaps this fine is only for persistent offenders.

Some people take their children out of school not once but several times a year.

I do not agree with doing this.

A one off is fine but not several times a year.

All these attendance targets are set by the government so schools have to be seen to be doing something to reduce absence.

It is the headteacher who has to justify the figures to the inspectors when they come calling.
Old 14-07-2008, 20:02   #30
God Member

Quote:
I only saw this due to the quote, but yet again you are talking out of your arse JB. If you had even the beginnings of any knowledge of working in the education system you'd know that you were talking crap yet again.

If you (or anyone else) believes that any teacher can do their job effectively and to the best of their ability only working from 8:40-ish to to 3:30-ish, then you are so far wide of the mark that it beggars belief.

Your comment about subject knowledge just shows how ignorant you are of the facts. The majority of teachers today are actually over-qualified in terms of subject knowledge. If all teachers had to do was teach what they knew, then the job would be a doddle.
As we have been told often enough, jambutty only sticks his oar in when he is has the full facts. This thread was about fining parents for taking kids out of school during term time, but if I had a child at a secondary school in Darwen I would be more concerned about some old bloke sat in a chair watching the school gates at something to nine and 3.30 every day

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..