Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2010, 19:25   #61

Re: She's off on one again !!

Labour's acting leader, Harriet Harman, today nominated Diane Abbott for the party's leadership.

Ms Harman said she was doing so in the hope of helping to ensure there is a woman on the ballot paper, and will not cast her vote in the election this September.

Both these MPs told their constituents that their kids had to go to the local comprehensive, guess where both these Labour MPs sent theirs?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-06-2010, 20:19   #62
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Labour's acting leader, Harriet Harman, today nominated Diane Abbott for the party's leadership.

Ms Harman said she was doing so in the hope of helping to ensure there is a woman on the ballot paper, and will not cast her vote in the election this September.

Both these MPs told their constituents that their kids had to go to the local comprehensive, guess where both these Labour MPs sent theirs?
...and more comprehensive schools were created under Mrs Thatcher, than under any previous Secretary of State for Education.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 07:54   #63
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Reading all the way through this thread, I've had the nagging feeling that something's missing...what can it be?

I know! There's no sign of our resident crusader against this sort of thing, Ken Moss, who can usually be relied upon to take a stand against the sort of addle-brained thinking that Ms Harman has displayed.

I wonder where he can be..."too busy with local issues" perhaps?
Still no comment on your party leader's ridiculous idea, Ken? Funny how you're usually so forthright and vocal in your opposition to this sort of PC madness, yet you've gone all coy on us on this one.

I wonder if you'd have been so silent if it was a Tory or LibDem politician who came up with the idea?
Old 15-06-2010, 08:09   #64
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Still no comment on your party leader's ridiculous idea, Ken? Funny how you're usually so forthright and vocal in your opposition to this sort of PC madness, yet you've gone all coy on us on this one.

I wonder if you'd have been so silent if it was a Tory or LibDem politician who came up with the idea?
I've not actually been reading the thread until now...whoops!

It's like any other 'positive discrimination' idea, I don't think it's healthy. We had it a few years ago that 50% of police officers should be black, but 50% of the population aren't black so how does that represent the public? Shouldn't it be more about the best people for the job rather than slavishly satisfying statistics?

Firmly in the 'disagree' camp but Labour members in Hyndburn are allowed to have opinions of their own, unlike certain other parties who get whipped into line over every decision.

Even going to the toilet during party meetings.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 08:17   #65
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I've not actually been reading the thread until now...whoops!
That's because you've been too busy with local issues!

I somehow think that Harriet would not approve of you...a reactionary element in the party ranks. Still, fair play to you for standing up to be counted!
Old 15-06-2010, 08:19   #66
Common Sense Member

Quote:
That's because you've been too busy with local issues!

I somehow think that Harriet would not approve of you...a reactionary element in the party ranks. Still, fair play to you for standing up to be counted!
I fear the Grand Order of the Boot on a daily basis....honest.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 08:29   #67
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
the Boot
Describing your party leader in those somewhat ungentlemanly terms is probably pushing it a bit, Ken!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..